Windows Xp Sp2 Problems

farlangrakthai

Hi, Iam currently running windows xp pro on my laptop and Iam having problems with installing Service pack 2.

I bought the laptop at Pantip last year and they put a copy version of windows xp on it, I've had no problems whatsoever recieving weekly updates for the last year untill now. Has anyone else had similar problems when trying to install sp2 if so what did you do??

Thanks

You need to describe the problem in a little more detail. Perhaps the shop installed XP SP2 installed already? Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" and see what is says about your installation.

Edited by tywais

You need to describe the problem in a little more detail. Perhaps the shop installed XP SP2 installed already? Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" and see what is says about your installation.

tywais, it just says windows xp pro 2002

I dont think that it was already installed as windows updates keeps picking it up and telling me i need to install it, however i have downloaded it but when it comes to install an error message comes up cant remember exactly what it said but something like your running an illegal copy of windows and you cant install sp2.

You need to change your serial number on your current XP installation to a 640 or 700-series one or purchase a CD with SP2 already integrated and reinstall Windows...SP2 is a very good update to install, it brings many improvements.

Anyway, considering the nature of this topic, I think we're gonna be locked down very soon :o

running an illegal copy of windows and you cant install sp2.

Yep, that's the problem. Need a registered version of XP or Enterprise edition. But as Florin said, can't really go into details as to how to get one.

Edited by tywais

You need to change your serial number on your current XP installation to a 640 or 700-series one or purchase a CD with SP2 already integrated and reinstall Windows...SP2 is a very good update to install, it brings many improvements.

i have no problem with Sp2 upgrade. how can i change the serial number? RUN -> REGEDT32 and search serial or cd key like that?

If you had no problems upgrading, your serial is either from the 640-series, or you actually have a genuine copy of Windows :o

And no, viewing your serial is not as easy as that, just google for "View XP serial" and you'll come across a whole bunch of tiny programs that show you just that.

Most software manufacturers conduct online checks on the installed software, if you plan on using it's "web update" facility, thus detected any pirated software & blocking the update or terminating the program.

Prevention is better cure...do not buy pirated software. Buy the real thing & totally avoid these problems.

Most software manufacturers conduct online checks on the installed software, if you plan on using it's "web update" facility, thus detected any pirated software & blocking the update or terminating the program.

Prevention is better cure...do not buy pirated software. Buy the real thing & totally avoid these problems.

Another problem with pirated software is; many times it comes with all the leeches we try to avoid with our blocking software. I’ve tried several well known programs, in the past, on CDs, ran them through the Norton Anti-Virus software, installed them and came up with unwanted PopUps and trips to Search Engine – web sites, instead of my default SE.

Pirated software is tempting, but it can be costly and time consuming to remove some of the “blood suckers”.

Regards,