Why Do Fuel Companies Not Supply Benzine 91?

rene123

as for gasohol eating rubber seal/ i think that is your clueless moo baan mechanics idea of it,(the one whom dont know what ethanol is or what 91 means.

Not sure what you are saying as ethyl alcohol (ethanol) in gasohol can damage (dissolve) natural (organic) rubber parts, including the hoses and diaphragms. Neoprene, silicon or similar artificial rubbers are not an issue.

That's exactly what i was saying,

its not a problem when you have alternatives,(and no bloody choice)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if one had an older motorbike, like a Yamaha Dragstar or a Honda Steed, what would become of them?

I have a 2005 Honda Phantom, recently sold a 1994 Yamaha Virago 535cc and I am now using a 1992 Honda CB 400. All of them can run on gasohol of 10% but there used to be 95 with 85% called E85 gasohol but I have't seen that in a while.

One thing nobody seems to know is any engine that is little used..IE a generator or mower, etc, gasahol separated MUCH easier and is extremely hard to stabilize. So empty - drain the tank, and run it dry. Been a problem in USA ever since they stopped regular gas, but there you can buy a gasoline stabilizer that's OK for a few months..here. so far not available. Otherwise, look for a gummed up fuel system, especially a carburetor.

Edited by lockman

This problem is not restricted to Chiang Mai as I have just spent much time trying to find regular 91 petrol in Pattaya. No luck. I have two motorcycles that require it as they both are quite old, but in good condition, and have carburetors. Eventually found something at a Shell station that the guy said was 95 and not gasahol. Pump had a red label, V-Power Nitro+. Cost 40.?? baht/litre. Cheaper than what I was paying, 43.??, for 91 regular but more expensive than any of the gasahol, green labeled, pumps. I hope it is the right stuff.

This problem is not restricted to Chiang Mai as I have just spent much time trying to find regular 91 petrol in Pattaya. No luck. I have two motorcycles that require it as they both are quite old, but in good condition, and have carburetors. Eventually found something at a Shell station that the guy said was 95 and not gasahol. Pump had a red label, V-Power Nitro+. Cost 40.?? baht/litre. Cheaper than what I was paying, 43.??, for 91 regular but more expensive than any of the gasahol, green labeled, pumps. I hope it is the right stuff.

Doubt it's 100% Benzine (gasoline). I'm told it's gasohol (90% gasoline) and with some go faster additives for which they charge a premium price (for gashol). Real gasoline would cost at least 45 baht last time I bought (couple of weeks ago before red 91 ran out at my local PTT)

Pointless asking the pump attendant, they just say yes to any question.

Doubt it's 100% Benzine (gasoline). I'm told it's gasohol (90% gasoline) and with some go faster additives for which they charge a premium price (for gashol). Real gasoline would cost at least 45 baht last time I bought (couple of weeks ago before red 91 ran out at my local PTT)

Pointless asking the pump attendant, they just say yes to any question.

If it is 90% gasoline then it must be 10% ethanol i.e. E10 which some people have said is OK, maybe, for older engines. I too didn't understand the price but who am I to argue with a Thai company on what price they charge for something.

As for a Thai always answering YES you couldn't be more wrong if the question was

'Is this gasahol?'

and the answer was

'No'

Just an update on this topic, our local PTT stations (San Patong area) now have a yellow labelled pump called just "Benzene". Sells for 10 Baht a litre more than Gasahol91.

No idea what it actually is, but it may solve some people's problems.

Just an update on this topic, our local PTT stations (San Patong area) now have a yellow labelled pump called just "Benzene". Sells for 10 Baht a litre more than Gasahol91.

I am reliably told this is 100% gasoline 95m octane. See this link ---> http://www.eppo.go.th/retail_prices.html

Are most people finding that gasohol is cheaper to use on a "Baht per Kilometer" basis? I have a 2012 Ford automobile that is advertized to be compatible with E20 gasohol but I'm finding that my gas mileage is greatly reduced when I use any of the gasohol blends instead of 91 Benzene. In almost every case, the percentage reduction in mileage that I am measuring exceeds the percentage of alcohol that is in the gasohol. From my numbers (and with my car) it seems as if the the alcohol is inert or perhaps even causes the benzene in the mix to burn less efficiently.

Edited by AngelsLariat

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. Now found it on Sukhumvit highway just outside Pattaya. The PTT station on Threpasit road doesn't have it at time of writing.