Alligator Grout - Suitable For Re-Grouting A Swimming Pool?

Phil_ne_uk

I am not an expert but from my personal experience with my swimming pool here in Udon Thani I would not use Alligator brand grout. Both Weber & Super Champ make grout products specifically for swimming pools. I've used Super Champ and found it to be an excellent product. Home Pro carries the brand but not this specific type grout which is called Extra 3 Plus Grout for Pools. It comes in both 1 & 20kg bags. I ordered a 20kg bag directly from the manufacturer P.K. Subpaisarn Co tel: 2 808-8585, email: [email protected]. Standard tile grout is not designed for swimming pool use. I'm sure there will be people who will argue the point. However, if I were you I would stick to the type grout made for use in swimming pools.

I hope this helps.

• Like 2

Alligator brand grout comes in two versions as far as I know. One is basic grout with no additives such as anti-mildew, the other is a higher end product with more elasticity, anti-mildew etc. However, neither one is made to withstand the rigors of being totally submerged in a swimming pool which has other factors such as water pressures and a variety of chemicals/salt affecting its viability. Swimming pool grout is made to withstand being submerged in a swimming pool with chemicals and significant varying pressures. The regular grouts will work for a time but will begin to fail which will then lead to a regrouting. I don't recall the cost but it is more expensive than regular grout. I was able to see the difference between regular grout and the Super Champ Pool grout immediately as the Super Champ product is much much stickier than standard grout. I think your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer to see if there is a distributor in your area who can check the price for you. I was able to order directly from the manufacturer because they had no distributor here in Udon Thani and Home Pro was not willing to order it for me. You can also check out their web site at www.pksubpaisarn.com

Good luck with your project.

• Like 1

When I regrouted my pool I was advised to use weber grout. It's not cheap but you really don't want to be going the cheap option as having to re-grout in a couple years will kill any perceived savings.

• Like 1