Australia Day - Coming Soon - In Thailand, How Will You Celebrate?

David48

...by avoiding any place that Australians frequent smile.png

So, did you have a bad experience with one?

but to be true, the only real Australians are the aboriginy, the rest are importedsmile.png

Really???

NEW clues about how the first Aborigines arrived in Australia have been unveiled by Indian scientists.

Based on a series of genetic tests, they believe Aborigines travelled from Africa to Australia via India.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/breaking-news/aborigines-show-indian-genetic-heritage/story-e6frea73-1225753009890

but to be true, the only real Australians are the aboriginy, the rest are importedsmile.png

So the abos evolved all on their own, in Australia? I never knew that.

Yes big question..Well where did they come from then? where did everyone come from for that matter? You dont seem to be a type of person who believe we all evolve from Adam and Eve?

I havent looked at the link Tukky sent yet, but maybe its like a documentary i saw about this, when Gondwanaland was joined that the ones we know as aborigine migrated down through the islands and settle in different areas along the way. So after time because of the sea level change, a tribe become landlocked on whatever place they did inhabit at that time.

Must be talking about a vast amount of time for these land masses to seperate like that. I would still consider the aborigne somewhat original and unique to be seperate and live for so long on their own.

Of course it does make sense that all of our species of man can be trace back to that same region. Now they seem to be saying they can proof that all of us come from around one region and from a very distinctive indentified gene pool.

Maybe science will yet proof the cristianitys theory to be right

OR that we all come from the same apes in the same area rolleyes.gif

Yes big question..Well where did they come from then? where did everyone come from for that matter? You dont seem to be a type of person who believe we all evolve from Adam and Eve?

I havent looked at the link Tukky sent yet, but maybe its like a documentary i saw about this, when Gondwanaland was joined that the ones we know as aborigine migrated down through the islands and settle in different areas along the way. So after time because of the sea level change, a tribe become landlocked on whatever place they did inhabit at that time.

Must be talking about a vast amount of time for these land masses to seperate like that. I would still consider the aborigne somewhat original and unique to be seperate and live for so long on their own.

Of course it does make sense that all of our species of man can be trace back to that same region. Now they seem to be saying they can proof that all of us come from around one region and from a very distinctive indentified gene pool.

The aborigines are not 500 million years old, which is when Gondwana existed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwana

They migrated during an ice age about 40-50,000 years ago, originally from Africa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_Australians#Origins

Edited by whybother

I tend to go with the evolution theory, genetic studies of mitochondrial DNA are interesting and some recent genetic surveys have been done which show the migration of homo sapian's across the world. My point was that the original Australians did migrate there albeit 70-80K years ago, not sure if it was by land bridge or by sea.

For something entirely different..Tonight Sat 26Jan from 8pm Checkinn99 will hold a mix of live entertainment classic Aussie rock, Bush Ballads and Poems. The poems are intended to be classic fun.

In addition to all the great Aussie Music and Poetry - we will be selling Draft Heineken Jugs at 199Baht ... free Aussie giveaways (after 11pm) and more decorations than a Moomba Parade. our last night was a blast.

post-67715-0-24278800-1359166383_thumb.j

Music of the Heart band have over 70 classic rock numbers to draw from as well as the iconic I am Australian Rock version of Waltzing Matilda and I still call Australia Home.

Mike Gilligan will be performing Some of the all time classic numbers (drawn from)

Poems

1. The man from snowy river

2. On the road to gundagai

3. The man from Ironbark

4. Drovers dream

5. Bold Jack Donahue

Songs

1. Clancy of the overflow

2. True Blue

3. Click goes the shears

4. Lookin forward, lookin back

5. I've been to Bali too

6. The Queensland drover

7. The wild colonial boy

8. Botany Bay

9. A pub with no beer

10. Old man emu

See you there if you have time...

• Like 1

^^ might be a good idea for those newbies who don't know where you are located to give some directions or a map of how to get to Checkinn99

Sukhumvit between Soi 5 and 7.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=sukhumvit+soi+5&hl=en&ll=13.741456,100.554211&spn=0.001514,0.002642&sll=13.77474,100.579444&sspn=0.1924,0.338173&t=m&hnear=Sukhumvit+Soi+5,+Thailand&z=19&layer=c&cbll=13.741383,100.554314&panoid=3u7Isnf3Drdh8sKEhVYOvA&cbp=12,46.14,,0,20.1

You usually can't see the anything from the road because of the stalls, but walking along the footpath, you can clearly see the "Check Inn" sign above you at the entrance.

Checkinn...did not realise this was an Aussie place, nor that it was 'that' place on sukhumvit.

Did you used to have a midget out the front ?

Did ThaiVisa have a party there recently ?

Hi Diddums..Checkinn is not really an Aussie place. Just we had fun dressing the place up for Australia day... and being an Aussie it comes a bit easier than say for other countries - although we get a good mix of nationalities in there..(we even allow Kiwis in even though they must be accompanied by an responsible adult).

The house band however have indulged us by building a great repertoire of Aussie songs (everything from Easybeats Seekers, LRB Aussie Crawl, Midnight Oil, Divynyls, ACDC etc) and we now have big Mike Gilligan adding some bush ballads and campfire poetry amongst his more popular music three happy hour sessions a week.

Yes it was one of the places Thai Visa had its 10the birthday bash. The dwarf doorman retired about 9 years ago.

post-67715-0-39901400-1359264916_thumb.j

when were you last there?

Edited by cattoc

Checkinn...did not realise this was an Aussie place, nor that it was 'that' place on sukhumvit.

Hi Diddums..Checkinn is not really an Aussie place. Just we had fun dressing the place up for Australia day... and being an Aussie it comes a bit easier than say for other countries - although we get a good mix of nationalities in there..(we even allow Kiwis in even though they must be accompanied by an responsible adult).

The house band however have indulged us by building a great repertoire of Aussie songs (everything from Easybeats Seekers, LRB Aussie Crawl, Midnight Oil, Divynyls, ACDC etc) and we now have big Mike Gilligan adding some bush ballads and campfire poetry amongst his more popular music three happy hour sessions a week.

Yes it was one of the places Thai Visa had its 10the birthday bash. The dwarf doorman retired about 9 years ago.

Well, maybe around 9 years ago I guess.

Did the midget go to greener pastures ?

Well, maybe around 9 years ago I guess.

Did the midget go to greener pastures ?

If you ask some of the staff who knew him very well - there are different answers. some say he passed... others say he is quite elderly and sick. Popular folklore is that he had a very colorful past in Silom before Checkinn. I had known him since 1996.. when I first ventured into Checkinn.