Brisbane Braces For Tornadoes Six Twisters Hit Battered State And More Are On The Way

POAK

Tell me about it! I'm sitting dead centre of it at this moment on the Sunshine Coast. The rain hasn't let up for 24 hours and the wind is absolutely howling. Bit of flooding on the roads just near my place overnight, few trees down etc. Still have power where I am but many other areas don't. I doubt I'll be opening the shop tonight!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/01/27/08/00/southeast-qld-on-tornado-alert

Southeast Queensland remains on alert after six tornadoes damaged homes and businesses in the Bundaberg region in the past 24 hours.

And hundreds of homes are at risk of flooding in the central Queensland cities of Gladstone and Bundaberg.

Floods are also expected at Gympie and Maryborough.

Brisbane, the Gold and Sunshine coasts, and northern NSW are also on flood watch as the low pressure system that was Cyclone Oswald tracks south.

Premier Campbell Newman inspected tornado damage at Bargara, near Bundaberg, on Sunday and said emergency services were being stretched by simultaneously unfolding emergencies.

He said the army would likely be called in to help authorities, with the Brisbane-based 7th Brigade on standby to provide support.

"The challenge now is that we've got multiple events going on," he told reporters.

"Let's not forget Gladstone and the needs of that community. We also have Maryborough and Gympie that will see a large flood as well in the next few days and we also have to be very mindful of what might happen in southeast Queensland."

Mr Newman said authorities had to be very careful about where they deployed already stretched resources.

"The places that have the biggest need, particularly I'm talking about rescuing people, preserving public safety ... that's where the initial resourcing effort always has to go," he said.

At Gympie, north of Brisbane, residents are being rescued from rooftops.

A 27-year-old man is missing in floodwaters after trying to cross a flooded creek near Gympie. Two other people were rescued but a swiftwater rescue team lost its boat in the operation.

The city's CBD is expected to flood later on Sunday as the Mary River rises towards an expected peak of 17 metres - just shy of levels reached during the devastating 2011 floods.

"We have people on rooftops in Widgee and Sexton and we have a swiftwater rescue team currently deployed in Widgee," Mayor Ron Dyne told AAP.

"At this stage, we've got major concerns.

"Everything's occurred rather rapidly given the amount of rain we've had ..."

At Bundaberg, north of Gympie, authorities fear up to 200 homes and 100 businesses will go under.

Flood levels are expected to peak higher than they did in 2010 and 2011, when the city suffered destructive floods.

Efforts are continuing to patch up homes and businesses that lost roofs when six cyclones swept through the Bundaberg region on Saturday and Sunday.

Rural towns around Bundaberg, including Gayndah, are also experiencing flooding.

Further north, communities around Gladstone are seeing unprecedented flooding, with 900 homes evacuated.

Gladstone Deputy Disaster Coordinator, Inspector Les Bulluss, says a high tide combined with 8.5 metres of water going over the Awoonga Dam wall is to blame.

Boyne Island and Tannum Sands are experiencing flooding, but so far there are no reports of homes going under there, Gladstone mayor Gail Sellers told AAP.

But the news is not as good for residents at nearby Baffle Creek, where some homes have water up to their ceilings.

Ms Sellers said there had been several rescue efforts at Baffle Creek and at Yarwun, north of Gladstone.

Never heard of a tornado in Australia

We don't get Tornadoes here

Australians are funny about tornadoes. Most of us have a strong belief that they don't occur here. It's hard to shake. Sure, we have violent thunderstorms. Hailstones as big as cricket balls. Violent winds that blow down trees over wide areas. But no tornadoes. They only occur in America -- like in the movie Twister. In America but not here.

We get tropical cyclones. They call them hurricanes in America. Everybody here who's old enough remembers when Cyclone Tracy devastated Darwin on Christmas Eve in 1974. But suggest that winds from a violent thunderstorm that destroy property or take lives might be a tornado, and everyone talks about damaging wind gusts or mini-cyclones. Never tornadoes.

continued: http://www.home.aone...ng/tornado.html

http://en.wikipedia....es_in_Australia

Edited by whybother

I am on the Sunshine Coast in the toilet with my shorts down and a pillow over my head.When they find me they will say remember that bloke that was having a shit when we found him.Theres is no way I am going to survive this

In the bathtub is an even safer place to hide...speaking as someone that was raised in tornado alley in the US.

Personally been through three of them.

We don't get Tornadoes here

Australians are funny about tornadoes. Most of us have a strong belief that they don't occur here. It's hard to shake. Sure, we have violent thunderstorms. Hailstones as big as cricket balls. Violent winds that blow down trees over wide areas. But no tornadoes. They only occur in America -- like in the movie Twister. In America but not here.

We get tropical cyclones. They call them hurricanes in America. Everybody here who's old enough remembers when Cyclone Tracy devastated Darwin on Christmas Eve in 1974. But suggest that winds from a violent thunderstorm that destroy property or take lives might be a tornado, and everyone talks about damaging wind gusts or mini-cyclones. Never tornadoes.

continued: http://www.home.aone...ng/tornado.html

http://en.wikipedia....es_in_Australia

a good story mate! goes to show - we do get 'em!

Apparently that is how the BBC World Service described them as tornados ...

Water spouts ... sure ... but it's a first to hear this weather even being called a tornado.

Edited by David48

The beeb had a clip with a huge waterspout from Aus this morning!

Stay safe everyone as we need Aussie posters aplenty to rip the p*ss out of with back-to-back Ashes series coming up....

The only water spouts I could find on BBC were from last year.

Edited by whybother

I am on the Sunshine Coast in the toilet with my shorts down and a pillow over my head.When they find me they will say remember that bloke that was having a shit when we found him.Theres is no way I am going to survive this

In the bathtub is an even safer place to hide...speaking as someone that was raised in tornado alley in the US.

Personally been through three of them.

No way I am going to have a shit in the bath

• Like 2

post-164009-0-90928000-1359277804_thumb.

Mooloolaba, Sunshine Coast today. About 5km from my place although I didn't see it. This photo is from my local newspaper's website.

Thats a "water spout", On land they are just dust and other rubbish known as a "Whirley Whirley"

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

I thought also cyclones spin anti clockwise and tornadoes spin clockwise? Similar to flushing a toilet in Australia and USA is opposite. Could be wrong.

Anyhow good luck to those in QLD. Hope it doesnt turn into the same floods like last time.

• Like 1

post-164009-0-90928000-1359277804_thumb.

Mooloolaba, Sunshine Coast today. About 5km from my place although I didn't see it. This photo is from my local newspaper's website.

Thats a "water spout", On land they are just dust and other rubbish known as a "Whirley Whirley"

That's right. I remember seeing them when I was a kid in coastal western Victoria.

I thought also cyclones spin anti clockwise and tornadoes spin clockwise? Similar to flushing a toilet in Australia and USA is opposite. Could be wrong.

Anyhow good luck to those in QLD. Hope it doesnt turn into the same floods like last time.

Tornadoes can actually spin in both directions, but will usually spin clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and anti-clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere, same as Cyclones / Hurricanes and the toilet.