Ktm 690 Duke

frankphuket

So, here it is....I am playing with the idea of getting a bike for fun!

I don't plan to ride a lot, just to have some weekend fun around Phuket.

Couple of years ago I had a ER6n, was just never really excited about it.

Wanted something a bit more cool, exciting, fun....Lighter, flickable still comfy ergonomics.

Not much out there: Ducati Hypermotard not bad, but really pricey...not sure the news prices, the new Hyperstrada once it arrives could be interesting, but I assume over 800k.

Saw the KTM 690 duke and quite like that it it light, looks fresh and fun.

Not sure the single cylinder is great for Phukets notorious traffic.

Pr ice is just about upper limit.

Anybody has any experience with it here or could recommend something else?

Not sure if this subject will turn out any interesting responses, as it seems not to be a bike often talked about.

did you check the KTM pricing in Thailand nearly same ridiculous like Ducati. Would love to have a duke but not at its pricing; just cant cope to pay more than double compared to european prices.

The 795 is 399,999 baht plus whatever the new sales tax is. That's not too far off the UK price of the 796.

Granted the other models are crazy prices...

did you check the KTM pricing in Thailand nearly same ridiculous like Ducati. Would love to have a duke but not at its pricing; just cant cope to pay more than double compared to european prices.

The 795 is 399,999 baht plus whatever the new sales tax is. That's not too far off the UK price of the 796.

Sure the 795 is different a different situation, but on the other hand in my opinion its also a "downgraded" Ducati. But value for what you get its still ok, at least in Thailand and its f***** up "big bike" policy/ pricing.

Edited by Hili

Sure the 795 is different a different situation, but on the other hand in my opinion its also a "downgraded" Ducati. But value for what you get its still ok, at least in Thailand and its f***** up "big bike" policy/ pricing.

Yeah I agree it's definitely a Ducati 'light', wish they'd at least kept the single sided swingarm. Might be worth a look for the OP though, if he's interested the dealership is on the road that links Chalong to Central Festival, I went there myself to look at one a few months back and the sales staff were pretty helpful.

kawasaki z1000 smile.png

....and?

not so sure it fits the description, sure is much heavier than the KTM and probably much more a 'handful'?

Its is probably all around better value.

1. 590k vs 650k. before tax increases

2. almost double the hp

3. much more comfortable to ride

4. Way more authorized service centers

5. much easier to resell

Its not a off road bike like the duke but i probably wouldnt be tearing up my 650k baht bike on the trails.

With the money you save you could buy a used klx for the trails.

KTM 690 is a magic bike. Great following and reviews in Europe. It is tall though. Great bike for island life!

Something like 70-hp is not enough for Phuket?

Definitely i would say 70hp is enough for Phuket (or nearly everywhere else). it is not always bigger and more powerful is better. That's why i am looking at something lighter...., don't like the 795 much, just feel it is rather small and with me being 1.83m I felt to cramped in the ergo department.

390 Duke sounds interesting....maybe at half the price? ;)

KTM 690 is a magic bike. Great following and reviews in Europe. It is tall though. Great bike for island life!

Definitely i would say 70hp is enough for Phuket (or nearly everywhere else). it is not always bigger and more powerful is better. That's why i am looking at something lighter...., don't like the 795 much, just feel it is rather small and with me being 1.83m I felt to cramped in the ergo department.

390 Duke sounds interesting....maybe at half the price? wink.png

How about the Yamaha FZ8? 800cc inline 4 (naked) bike for around 480k (plus the new tax). Much better value than the KTM IMO...

Or maybe wait for the Z800...

• Like 1

How about the Yamaha FZ8? 800cc inline 4 (naked) bike for around 480k (plus the new tax). Much better value than the KTM IMO...

Value maybe less, but i doubt it is lighter or any big difference than the ER6N....probably in between the ER6N and the Z1000 performance wise.

From my understanding the Z800 will actually be slightly heavier than the Z1000, go figure!

Nobody has mentioned an obvious alternative.....: Triumph Street Triple :).....not really that popular?

Much better value than the KTM IMO...

Not that I'm going to buy a KTM but somethings in life are not about better value!

Plus I'll add

A second hand BMW F800R? If one could find one? And it has JohhnF's single sided swing arm.thumbsup.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

If I had the coin - the KTM SMC690R would be killer, around BKK at least!

screenshot20130116at530.png

I went to have a sticky beak at the KTM shop last weekend - some very nice bikes they have - and price tags to match.

I can't believe they can't plate an EXC500 or the new Freeride 350 like in many other markets??

For me, the duke 200 just looked too small...but the 'special version' did look pretty cool - maybe +140,000Bt ??

If I had the coin - the KTM SMC690R would be killer, around BKK at least!

screenshot20130116at530.png

I went to have a sticky beak at the KTM shop last weekend - some very nice bikes they have - and price tags to match.

I can't believe they can't plate an EXC500 or the new Freeride 350 like in many other markets??

For me, the duke 200 just looked too small...but the 'special version' did look pretty cool - maybe +140,000Bt ??

The Duke 200cc is way overpriced in Thailand, I think the original launch figure was 220,000 for the standard one never mind the 'special version'

I was thinking nobody will pay that for a 200cc but in seen 3 young Thai lads in the Heineken bar who had them a couple of weeks ago (unplated) with that new bike Shine :-)

Much better value than the KTM IMO...

Not that I'm going to buy a KTM but somethings in life are not about better value!

Plus I'll add

A second hand BMW F800R? If one could find one? And it has JohhnF's single sided swing arm.thumbsup.gif

Agreed, some things are about having 4 cylinders instead of 1, plus a lot more power going to that rear wheel :)

The fact that it's 200k baht cheaper is a bonus for sure, that's a lot of aftermarket parts, spares and trips up north. Not to mention I hate getting ripped off...

Value maybe less, but i doubt it is lighter or any big difference than the ER6N....probably in between the ER6N and the Z1000 performance wise.

From my understanding the Z800 will actually be slightly heavier than the Z1000, go figure!

Nobody has mentioned an obvious alternative.....: Triumph Street Triple :).....not really that popular?

The Duke would make a lovely, albeit expensive toy. The Z800 is heavier than the Z1000 because it has a steel frame whereas that of the bigger bike is made of aluminium. Here is a link to a short review of the Z800 http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/kawasaki-z800 If they price it right here I`ve no doubt there`ll be some takers

Ducati are bound to get more reasonable; they say this year but who knows, they've had plans to make more bikes here for a long time and so far only managed an ABS version of the Monster 795; and the Diavel but that's only assembled in Thailand so still quite a bit of tax on it. The dealer swears locally made Hypermotards are coming, as well as a mini multistrada for the asian market.

Honda CRF250M (motard version, just announced) would be good but a bit weak. Probably still good fun for Phuket though, with the crazy traffic there I imagine you can't go very fast anyway, at least not if you want to avoid the hospital. Why would Honda make a 500 version of that? They already have a naked 500cc bike, and a tall one (CBX) so a motard would be kind of inbetween those - not gonna happen.

If you're bored with an ER-6n then you probably need a Monster or KTM... or you need to learn how to properly ride an ER-6n :P

I've been biting my tongue all day.......but I have to say it: The 690 is an absurd amount of money for what it is and you must have rocks in your head buying one here. By your actions, buying one that is, all your doing is encouraging the importer to bring in more!

I've been biting my tongue all day.......but I have to say it: The 690 is an absurd amount of money for what it is and you must have rocks in your head buying one here. By your actions, buying one that is, all your doing is encouraging the importer to bring in more!

agreed to some point...(not with the rocks of course...), but so is a Benz, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, etc. We live in Thailand and if we would all think like you, than we would all only be driving TOYOTAS and HONDAS! It is bad like it is now....but maybe if some of us "sacrifice" that actually would mean more and more products come to Thailand and maybe and only maybe some of the European brands start producing here. If Skoda and Citroen and so many others would produce their cars here, hence not paying high import taxes we would actually have a decent choice and TOYOTAS and HONDAS would decline in market share. I for one would buy a Skoda Octavia or Superb easily over an Altis or Camry any day of the week if prices were similar.

agreed to some point...(not with the rocks of course...), but so is a Benz, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, etc. We live in Thailand and if we would all think like you, than we would all only be driving TOYOTAS and HONDAS! It is bad like it is now....but maybe if some of us "sacrifice" that actually would mean more and more products come to Thailand and maybe and only maybe some of the European brands start producing here. If Skoda and Citroen and so many others would produce their cars here, hence not paying high import taxes we would actually have a decent choice and TOYOTAS and HONDAS would decline in market share. I for one would buy a Skoda Octavia or Superb easily over an Altis or Camry any day of the week if prices were similar.

You do know that BMW for example is producing locally? The current prcies not only resulting from import taxes, well there are luxury taxes fro those brands and then they are charging such becasue they CAN.

You do know that BMW for example is producing locally? The current prcies not only resulting from import taxes, well there are luxury taxes fro those brands and then they are charging such becasue they CAN.

Correct, that's why I did mention the other non luxury brands which are not producing here.

I personally just feel the Japanese brands here need more competition, in order to also improve on their offerings, not just giving us their old tech 1.8 and 2.0 l models. Not bringing in any more modern engines. Small engines with turbos, etc.

Right now I only see the European brands doing this, but at import prices.

I guess first hope is Ford, being already established here and apparently bringing in the ecosport range of engines sooner or later. If Ford makes their 1.6 ecosport available on the Focus instead of the 2.0 l engine than we really have a great car...already now in my opinion the Best in its class...."eat this Altis and Civic"...haha. (yeah, I know whatever Fordcis going to do, most Thais will still opt for old tech Japs).