Bargaining In Thailand

BKK90210

I feel that Thai people love to bargain in everything.

What about you while in Thailand?...

Do you love bargaining now?...it’s just a fun game!

Or the situation forces you to be like that?

Or you bargain to protect your rights and not let other people cheat from you….no one can take away your hard earned satang easily!

Do you ever bargain with the police fines? :D

And... Are you any good at bargaining at all? :o:D

...or you even feel shameful sometime? :D

Edited by BKK90210

Or you bargain to protect your rights and not let other people cheat from you….no one can take away your hard earned satang easily!

I know if I'm being ripped off ridiculously and and so bargain a little to get a fair/realistic price.

My wife (Malaysian) bargains to the extent where she'll try to squeeze every last drop of blood out of a stone and I sometimes have to leave her to it, walking away in embarrasement.

However, what does grate in Thailand is when I see tourist, most commonly backpacker, arguing over the equivalent of 5 pence!

A young travelling couple we befriended recently seemed convinced that everyone was trying to rip them off and would barter compulsively even if the price was already ridiculously low.

One instance that comes to mind was when they took umbridge with a CD seller for asking for 100Bht a disc. When I told them that that was the going rate, the girl said, ''But they're copies''.

A new CD would have cost the equivalent of £10 - £15 in her country and here she was being asked for £1.50. What did she expect - the real thing!!?? :D

I love haggling over price, particularly when I already know how cheap I can get the item. (from previous years experience.)

...and yes, if I can reduce the price by just a further five baht, I'll happily stand there punching out numbers on the vendors calculator. It's all part of the enjoyment :o

I have to say though, I haven't yet had one holiday in Thailand where I wasn't overcharged for something.

If they can squeeze a healthy profit out of me for something that I buy at the markets, good luck to them. They have done well. :D

Fortunately there's not nearly as much bargaining in THailand as newbie tourists seem to think, and not just backpackers. I almost get the feeling it actually adds to the 'exotic' experience of having to bargain. So off they go to lower sukhumvit, Patpong or some other Tourist-hel_l locale, have a ball bargaining and end up paying 2-3-4 times what things would cost at Tesco. Oh well, they had a good time.

Personally I hate it and will not bargain if it can possibly avoided. So that means I will not bargain to reduce a price that's obviously too high, I'd rather walk away and buy at Tesco, etc. (Which, by the way, understands customer service and the concept of customer returns, even giving people their money back!! Utterly unheard of elsewhere.)

For some things I do of course bargain, indeed included police fines, you just have to. 20 seconds of discussing the offense and the fine will quickly reduce something like 500 baht to just 100 baht. That's 20 seconds well spent.

I'm sure there's other examples.. Like when buying a car, a washing machine.. there's mostly either discounts to be had or goodies to get extra.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Fortunately there's not nearly as much bargaining in THailand as newbie tourists seem to think, and not just backpackers. I almost get the feeling it actually adds to the 'exotic' experience of having to bargain. So off they go to lower sukhumvit, Patpong or some other Tourist-hel_l locale, have a ball bargaining and end up paying 2-3-4 times what things would cost at Tesco. Oh well, they had a good time.

Personally I hate it and will not bargain if it can possibly avoided. So that means I will not bargain to reduce a price that's obviously too high, I'd rather walk away and buy at Tesco, etc. (Which, by the way, understands customer service and the concept of customer returns, even giving people their money back!! Utterly unheard of elsewhere.)

For some things I do of course bargain, indeed included police fines, you just have to. 20 seconds of discussing the offense and the fine will quickly reduce something like 500 baht to just 100 baht. That's 20 seconds well spent.

I'm sure there's other examples.. Like when buying a car, a washing machine.. there's mostly either discounts to be had or goodies to get extra.

Cheers,

Chanchao

As far as the car fines go, agreed, that is something that it does make sense to bargain on.

Having said that, I've had two very different experiences on the occassions I have been stopped.

Once when stopped for not wearing a seatbelt in Viphawadi Rd, the cop asked for 200 baht and promptly accepted 100 baht when it was offered.

On the other occassion I was stopped for speeding on the Chon Buri - Pattaya highway.

The cop asked for 100 baht and I'd have happily given it to him without question. However to my horror the smallest bill I had was 1000 baht.

Rather unwisely I told the cop this. Fortunately for me, rather than ask for the 1000 baht he let me go with a smile. I thanked my good luck and don't tend to speed now!

Always keep a couple of hundred baht in the car, just in case.

I am very good at bargaining - must be my Scottish blood.

I bought some DVDs on Sukhumvit the other week - 80 baht each, while the guy next to me paid 150 baht each. It really is an art, and is so much easier when you've been in Thailand for a while. Speaking Eesaan in Bangkok always gets things cheap. Once a taxi driver didn't want any money, and then totally refused a tip.

When I am buying something and my wife is there, I always tell her to go elsewhere. I can always get a better price than her. She doesn't want to appear stingy, whereas i don't give a ****.

Edited by Neeranam

Yes I have bargained with a police fine on 2 occassions and got one down to less than half.

I never feel shameful bargaining here, simply because they will rip you off blind if they have the chance. But it is all about doing it in the right place. Some places it is accepted, others not.

I have gotten prices down to less than an eight of what they were originally askeing. An indication of the overpricing to start with. just remember that they will not lose money, they will not sell to you if they are losing, so if they are willing to sell something at a price, then you can guarantee they are making money on it.

I have had people ask for say 1800b for something that I know I can get on the first ask for at least half of this. So why would I feel uncomfortable returning the favour.

But, at times and in certain places as I say, it is not the done thing. For example driving home from Chiang Mai recently we stopped at a road side stall, selling fruit and vegies. A Thai 4wd pulled up in front of us and my missus went to buy some fruit. The seller was a little old lady living behind her stall, growing her own produce and selling it to make a quid. Bananas were 10b etc etc. My missus bought what she wanted and paid the asking price. The Thai family tried to bargain down the little old lady for 10b. My missus is Thai and she was pissed off at the Thai family and felt sorry for the little old lady.

Another example, a builder was asking for 1,200,000 for a job, he eventually came down to 500k.

Oh and I have also paid a fine with a large not and received change.

Edited by N&M

Everything is negotiable I suppose. Yet some things seem more negotiable than others.

I think it's fine to dicker the price of some shirts and pants at Mike's mall in PTY when you know the pants were made in thailand and cost about 200 baht.

I think the tourists get carried away when they start negotiating a one hour 250 baht massage. There is little valor beating up a lady(who is trying to support her family) who works hard giving you a massage. And then stiff her for a tip. Some people are just common trash. IMHO! :o

A women I know quite well (helps me with my Thai) and she sells clothes and a few knick nacks, last night an American came up, wanted a tacky (IMHO) clock...

How Much?

99 Baht

I'll give you 20

No

American walks away, 20 mins later he's back, same tacky clock

How Much

150 Baht

I'll give you 120

OK you very smart man!

Yes, all true!

Everything is negotiable I suppose. Yet some things seem more negotiable than others.

I think it's fine to dicker the price of some shirts and pants at Mike's mall in PTY when you know the pants were made in thailand and cost about 200 baht.

I think the tourists get carried away when they start negotiating a one hour 250 baht massage. There is little valor beating up a lady(who is trying to support her family) who works hard giving you a massage. And then stiff her for a tip. Some people are just common trash. IMHO! :o

Agreed - there is a time and a place. Admittedly, having lived in Thailand for several years and speaking Thai means that I know in my mind when I feel bargaining is appropriate (as per the clothes example) and that's knowledge that a tourist wouldn't have. However, I still feel that they should still have some idea when overkill is reached, i.e.trying to get a reduction on 10 baht worth of fruit from a vendor that has been pushing their wares round in thesun all day or as I once saw in PTY a sneering arseh*le offer an old woman 10 baht for a silk table cloth she was selling.

My wife bargains to the extent where she'll try to squeeze every last drop of blood out of a stone and I sometimes have to leave her to it, walking away in embarrasement.

I know the feeling................... :o

Police fines are definitely negotiable. :D

Edited by astral

Since I live here and I am not on holiday – for me time is money. Therefore I don’t want to waste my time/money haggling over 100 baht. If it is something I buy and know the rate for I always give them one chance to match said price. If they won’t I walk. If it is something I have not bought before I fix a price I think is reasonable and give them one chance at said price – it they won’t match it I walk. I am sure I have paid more for things then what I could have by haggling more – but if I think it is worth what I paid, then no worries.

DVD’s are a good example I will not pay more than 100 baht. I travel to China and can get them for less than 40 baht. So paying 100 baht in Thailand is only for the convenience of being able to buy them right away. More than that and I can wait until my next trip to China.

I am also of the zero or one bid mentality. I prefer when vendors display prices openly and fairly, and I just choose what I want. On a very large item (car, etc.) I can appreciate a little haggling, particularly when I think I am making an easy sale for the guy and he ought to accept a little less margin. I also do not like to waste the time of sales people... I don't want their spiel and personal effort, I want some facts and a cleanly concluded transaction.

My wife has the combination of some culture of negotiation and personal experience growing up poor. Her behavior towards negotiation reminds me very much of my father who grew up poor. There is a sometimes irrational focus on the goodness of the "deal" and to not value one's own time or peace of mind. I also try to teach her my "better way" in small doses, i.e. not to sweat the little stuff so much. People need to find "good enough" in order for negotiations to end happily, and not always "best possible"... I've seen both of them beat themselves up for getting a sub-optimal deal, not because they were stupid or naive, but simply because they could not see the future or read the other party's mind. :o

I think the hardest thing for most people is to answer, "what is this worth to me?" without having to base it on what it is worth to other people in general, or the other party in a negotiation particularly.

For me, negotiation is first and foremost finding a compromise between what is good enough for me and for my wife, and far secondarily considering the other party in the transaction. :D

Edited by autonomous_unit

My experience is similar to Chanchao's: bargaining isn't much part of everyday purchases, not even in the markets. If done, an agreeable figure for both is arrived at very quickly, usually around 10% lower than the asking price (often done when more than 1 item of a kind is bought).

Of course, in tourist areas with inflated prices it's a different story, but I just walk away when an unrealistically high price is quoted.

I Love the negotiation. I usualy tend not to ever buy things in the touristy areas as even with negotiation your still getting ripped. But when you go to say, Pantip Plaza or the weekend markets buy bulk and and get into it. I saved a TON of money on beautiful artistic silver jewelery form a wonderful artisien. We haggled so firmly and enthusiasticaly that he said "I hope I never see you again" after selling atleast 100K worth of jewelery for 20K :o That was a rush.

i hate it when you see a price and then you get a 50 per cent discount as soon as you express an interest.

it totally devalues the thing are are going to buy and makes the vendors appear like robbing b*******

i wanted some shoes in mbk the other day and last year i got them for 800baht. i went back and the woman had 1200 baht on everything. i told her and she said ok, discount 200 baht.

i just turned around and walked off and she said ok ok 800 baht.

fk that, why would i pay someone who had just tried to cheat me? fool.

Bargaining has everything to do with me learning Thai in the first place, for which I am grateful. I enjoy it because I do know the real price of things and I like to see how close I can get. Most of the time I'm pretty darn close.

I first came to Thailand in 1963 and remember the bargaining then. Handheld calculators weren't around then, though. All the guidebooks said to negotiate your price, that vendors would be disappointed if you bought without doing so.

I will always have a haggle with the traders, as far as i am concerned it is all part of the buying proccess. I will pay what i think is fair to both myself and to them. If i feel i have got it for less than they really wanted to sell it for, i will give them what i think is a fair price. The wife doesnt like me doing this reckons i am too generous, but at the end of the day 40baht to me is <deleted> all but in the right hands 40baht is a meal for someones family.

Also a bit off topic, but i always leave a 20baht tip on the pillow for the maids cleaning the room, in 6 years i have never had anything go missing from my room, even in the cheapest places, just remember we might not be rich but we are probably better off than the average Thai person you are haggleing with over 20 or 30 baht. :o

for me bargain is sort of game ...the seller always put the higher price for us for bargain ...(i mean in thai(also HK)

but when we negotiation in one level /point .. the seller will not happy with ..and start to call u as .. slut.. u re cheap charlies :o

oh yes ... got some already

who cares

when he/she/it calls me slut

i call he/she/it...you are slutter

ohh maybe sluttest :D

i enjoy the game, and if it is a good game they get extra, and look at me a bit funny as does the wife and she has to explain keep the extra over money as it has been enjoyable,

but when faced with a complete rip off i will be a hard nose,

over all i think this bargaining should be part of shopping in general as it can be so much fun

When I am buying something and my wife is there, I always tell her to go elsewhere. I can always get a better price than her. She doesn't want to appear stingy, whereas i don't give a ****.

So true! Thai are really bad at bargaining, and so easy to get a better price than any of them, in their own country!

I will always have a haggle with the traders, as far as i am concerned it is all part of the buying proccess. I will pay what i think is fair to both myself and to them. If i feel i have got it for less than they really wanted to sell it for, i will give them what i think is a fair price. The wife doesnt like me doing this reckons i am too generous, but at the end of the day 40baht to me is <deleted> all but in the right hands 40baht is a meal for someones family.

Also a bit off topic, but i always leave a 20baht tip on the pillow for the maids cleaning the room, in 6 years i have never had anything go missing from my room, even in the cheapest places, just remember we might not be rich but we are probably better off than the average Thai person you are haggleing with over 20 or 30 baht. :o

Go to the Night Bazaar in CM, when they are closing up and check out the cars they have - then decide if you are better off...

Go to the Night Bazaar in CM, when they are closing up and check out the cars they have - then decide if you are better off...

It doesnt actually matter what car they drive. It is all about paying a fair price, and i am pretty sure not every market trader drives around in a flash car, especially where i do most of my market shopping, which isnt in CM night bazzar or Sukhumvit or patpong markets, but rather the local Thai markets. out Ratchada way. :D

QUOTE(Grant @ 2006-02-25 17:16:51) *

QUOTE(daleyboy @ 2006-02-24 21:34:46) *

Also a bit off topic, but i always leave a 20baht tip on the pillow for the maids cleaning the room, in 6 years i have never had anything go missing from my room, even in the cheapest places, just remember we might not be rich but we are probably better off than the average Thai person you are haggleing with over 20 or 30 baht. smile.gif

It doesnt actually matter what car they drive. It is all about paying a fair price, and i am pretty sure not every market trader drives around in a flash car, especially where i do most of my market shopping, which isnt in CM night bazzar or Sukhumvit or patpong markets, but rather the local Thai markets. out Ratchada way. smile.gif

You not caring about 40 baht makes it lot harder for us that do.

Do you know how much those stall owners get on Sukhumvit road? 200,000 a month easy.

It's an old subject, but yes, there is a huge difference between a tourist who bargains for the fun of the experience, and those who live here and don't want to be regarded as having more money than sense or being unnecessarily awkward by insisting to bargain on everything.

(not aimed at daleyboy)