Suggested Textbooks For English Ks2 (9-10 Years)

simon43

The EP school where I teach in Myanmar follows the UK National Curriculum (KS1/KS2) for primary kids, but uses American textbooks which are - quite frankly - a pile of doo-doo, and which obviously do not tie in with the requirements of KS1 and KS2.

When the new school year starts in a couple of months, I want to ensure that the children are taught using the correct course material. After all, that's what their parents are paying for.

It's likely that I will need to source textbooks for primary subjects other than English, and for different age-groups within the KS1/KS2 range, but I'll start with this main subject.

Can anyone recommend a suitable series of textbooks or publisher for teaching English at lower KS2 level ==> language, spelling, literacy etc?

Are these books available for purchase in Bangkok? If so, I will fly over from Yangon and buy a set of textbooks.

Note that I'm not asking about additional teaching resources. I need advice about what teaching books I can use as the mainstay of my teaching of English to these children?

Thanks for any advice

Simon

PS - Don't concern yourself with the 'politics' of how I'm going to use these NC books in place of the American ones - that's for me to solve!

Scott, thanks for that suggestion.

Not sure what you are talking about..

The UK National Curriculum (NC) for primary schools (Key Stage 1 and 2), sets a number of specific target achievements and skills for each core and secondary subject.

In order to work towards those targets, (and since teaching time is valuable), it's preferable that the teacher uses core teaching material that has been specifically written to meet all the required target skills of the NC. This is especially the case when the kids sit for NC tests.

The series that you mention is very popular as additional teaching resource, but doesn't seem to have been written to meet the core requirements of NC KS1/KS2.

But I will do some more Googling on this subject tomorrow.

Thanks again

Simon

For the UK National Curriculum, the tes.co.uk is a popular site full of free resources and teachers on the forum will be able to suggest textbooks. If you want books, Collinseducation.com is a good site, they have good ranges like the Letts Primary Activities Books *(Link edited out)* and they do ship internationally, not sure about Myanmar, just ask them.

There's no point coming to Thailand, then, but If you do come to Bangkok, contact Foyles Education - they import mostly British books to Thailand and supply all the main schools. It's quite an art importing books and jumping through all the Thai tax hoops, Foyles may be able to ship to Myanmar, I've no idea, best to contact them.

Edited by Scott
Link edited out

I was teaching English in Indonesia for 6 years, and we used a variety of text books, depending on the school.

Without going into who copied what in bulk, I can give you my opinion: that is I think the "Headway Series" (British English thank you) is by far the best. Probably the least expensive source would be Singapore.

These are not cheap, and each level has a Student's book, a Workbook with key (good for homework), Teacher's book and a cassette. The cassette is key to the text so easy to follow and there are a variety of English accents.

In the UK, we KS2 teachers generally have to make differentiated worksheets for each and every class. Well, that is what I (and the teachers I know) do.

The TES is a good place for resources as is The Primary Resources website.

Headway is a TEFL book, nothing to do with the NC curriculum of England.