Mission Impossible: Australian Embassy

donkeykong

Renewing a passport online and contacting the Australian Embassy in Bangkok seems to be mission impossible.

1. Got the correct forms from the Australian Embassy website

2. Travelled from Pattaya to Bangkok to the Oz Military Stockade

3. Passed through 3 levels of security check (10 people)

4. There's one (half-asleep) clerk on duty.

5. Submit application and paid cash

6. Clerk 'guarantees' passport will be here for pickup in EXACTLY ten working days.

7. Then says - it could be up to a month - go figure?

8. I ask that I collect passport in person, when it arrives (not trusting thai post).

Now check ONLINE and says passport despatched - to MY thai mailbox!

Try contacting Oz Embassy...........

Call the phone number on the website (02 344 6300)

Robot says phone number changed, now 02 344 6400.

Call new number.

Next robot says....

For information in english press 6

If you don't press 6 it says "goodbye!"

If you do press 6 it says

"Call another number (02 672 3476) or for visas.. visit the website!"

Call 02 672 3476 and the line is constantly engaged

What a complete waste of time!!!!

howard-bush.jpg

Edited by donkeykong

I thought the Austrians embassy is the worst one.

I guess the Austrians and Australians from both embassies are sitting at Patpong in an upstair bar and let the cook do the job....

Renewing a passport online and contacting the Australian Embassy in Bangkok seems to be mission impossible.

6. Clerk 'guarantees' passport will be here for pickup in EXACTLY ten working days.

8. I ask that I collect passport in person, when it arrives (not trusting thai post).

Call new number.

Next robot says....

howard-bush.jpg

Call new number.

Next robot says....

howard-bush.jpg

Understand your frustration Donkey. I needed to call the embassy today to ask some questions about marrage to my TGF. Went through the same process as you and got the same responses. I don't want to know anything about visas but it seems this is the only thing they are available to talk about (provided you can get through).

But seeing as though they now get the Visa application center to do all their visa stuff, I am left wondering what their job is? :o

Funny, I have had good experiences in the oz embassy ever since 1998.

Visa for gf issued in 4 months.

Copies certified for free.

Passport pages copied and certified for free.

Visa for relative issued same day.

Passport for daughter issued 4 weeks.

Some people I have witnessed in there losing there cool and ranting and raving and complaining just probably get a red sticker stuck on their files. This red sticker means 'go slow'

As for the security, what is the problem with it ?? Considering the problems Oz has had in nearby Indonesia, I do not blame them for beefing it up.

To get through security takes all of a few minutes for christ sakes.

Edited by N&M

Funny, I have had good experiences in the oz embassy ever since 1998.

Visa for gf issued in 4 months.

Copies certified for free.

Passport pages copied and certified for free.

Visa for relative issued same day.

Passport for daughter issued 4 weeks.

Some people I have witnessed in there losing there cool and ranting and raving and complaining just probably get a red sticker stuck on their files. This red sticker means 'go slow'

As for the security, what is the problem with it ?? Considering the problems Oz has had in nearby Indonesia, I do not blame them for beefing it up.

To get through security takes all of a few minutes for christ sakes.

mate you are the exception rather than the rule, do you know why those guys are ranting and raving?

are you an employee of dima?,I know they read this forum and we have had a few spies b4.

the Oz embassy need to get its' act together and Gemma if you are still lurking in the background can you answer my emails from 2 years ago and telephone calls even b4 that

:D oh my golly gosh, now I am a spy for DIMA...well Bronci, your spot on again, thats 100% for you. Actually I am a spy for ASIO, so watchout.

Yes, I presume that I am the only exception over an 8 year period. Funny you should mention Gemma as I have had dealings with her and she helped me with my last requirement. Your file must be marked in big red letters 'extreme caution, fragile, handle no more than once a year' :D

Spy, lol... that song paranoia paranoia springs to mind....and they let you lose with a moderators licence lol.

Maybe we can get Gemma to bring in a spy kit for you from Oz, sure if I asked nicely she would help out :o

I'm going to Embassy Monday for a new passport also, wish me luck :D Talking sweet always helps no matter the country or the language. poot narak narak 555555

Lindsay, passport is easy. The 10 days usually takes longer, but as long as you are aware it is no problem. If you need it for a flight before this, then they do rush them for an extra charge.

Make sure you get the person you deal with phone number and call them in 10 days to see if it is ready.

Also do you know about the new smart passports and the photo requirements. Phots need to be very specific and if you go to the kodak photo shop in Sathorn, just down from the embassy a few buildings towrds Rama 4 you will see it, I think it is in the Thai Wah ??? building, maybe the same one the Banyon tree is in from memory.

But this shop is recommended by Oz embassy because they have been instructed on how exactly to take the pics by the embassy. Saves any problems later.

:D oh my golly gosh, now I am a spy for DIMA...well Bronci, your spot on again, thats 100% for you. Actually I am a spy for ASIO, so watchout.

Yes, I presume that I am the only exception over an 8 year period. Funny you should mention Gemma as I have had dealings with her and she helped me with my last requirement. Your file must be marked in big red letters 'extreme caution, fragile, handle no more than once a year' :D

Spy, lol... that song paranoia paranoia springs to mind....and they let you lose with a moderators licence lol.

Maybe we can get Gemma to bring in a spy kit for you from Oz, sure if I asked nicely she would help out :o

I'm going to Embassy Monday for a new passport also, wish me luck :D Talking sweet always helps no matter the country or the language. poot narak narak 555555

Lindsay, passport is easy. The 10 days usually takes longer, but as long as you are aware it is no problem. If you need it for a flight before this, then they do rush them for an extra charge.

Make sure you get the person you deal with phone number and call them in 10 days to see if it is ready.

Also do you know about the new smart passports and the photo requirements. Phots need to be very specific and if you go to the kodak photo shop in Sathorn, just down from the embassy a few buildings towrds Rama 4 you will see it, I think it is in the Thai Wah ??? building, maybe the same one the Banyon tree is in from memory.

But this shop is recommended by Oz embassy because they have been instructed on how exactly to take the pics by the embassy. Saves any problems later.

Thanks for that, yes 10 days no problem just went Cambodia yesterday and I knew about new passports but will go Kodak shop like you say just to be safe. I am getting a 64 page book, internet says $258 7,371.06bht. I guess they don't take credit cards? eg. AMEX? Internet says cash only.

N&M you try and deny that you don't work for ASIO but your avatar has given you away.

Maybe you can make up for it by flying around LOS and drop off all passports and visas so we don't have to run the gauntlet in Bkk.

While your at it how about dropping a care package for all us tax dodgers. Vegemite and Crunchies please.

the Oz embassy need to get its' act together and Gemma if you are still lurking in the background can you answer my emails from 2 years ago and telephone calls even b4 that

i sent gemma some e mails about 3 years ago and am still waiting..gemma would have to be the 2nd most incompetent person i have ever met in my life..the first being a case officer there by the name of khun(t) kaewta

I think you'll find that the local employees are far worse and arrogant that the home country staff, who use the locals as a shield. After all, if you complain to the relevant foreign office about one of their people by name it WILL go into their personel files.

Looks like the OP has expereinces a techincal FuGH-up. Totally unfortunate.

From my experience though:

Had my passport there done twice, never a problem.

My mate lost his passport the other month, trotted down, had it cancelled and was issued an emergency passport in a couple of days, no worries whatsoever.

Treat the staff there with a little respect and patience and I think you'll be fine, especially if you are an Australian citizen needing a passport or something (visa's though - a whole different kettle of fish).

The consular staff get the rough end of the stick in these situations. They have a 'customer facing role' and have to put up all day with assorted scumbags and losers, who in all honesty, should never have been issued a passport and allowed to travel in the first place.

If you manage to seperate yourself from that lot within the first 5 seconds of meeting them, then I think your expereince will be different.

Feel free to call me Pollyanna-ish if you wish.