Manufacturing Replacement M/c Parts

sailaway2000

I have a desire to have replacement parts made for older Honda motorcycle parts which Honda no longer wishes to support or provide.

Specifically:

Pistons (orders of 25 pairs each of two sizes)

Cam Chains (orders of 100)

Cam Chain Guide and Tensioners (full service CNC machining may be an option, small quantities) .

Custom Throttle cables (split cable similar to CB350 style, orders of 25 or more)

Do you have experience with any manufacturers in Thailand?

Can you recommend anybody who may provide these services?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks

Edited by sailaway2000

Which parts? I'm sure there are many companies doing parts.

sent from my Q6

Sorry, I inadvertently posted before completing the post. Should be good now.

M

is your google broken ?

https://www.google.c...iw=1067&bih=543

Fer christ sake. My post said 'similar to', not exact.

yes I know and use Google but to NOT want exact replacements.

Sheesh!!!!!

But thanks for trying!

M

Is this for domestic sales or for export? And are all parts for the original parallel twin Honda CB350 '68 to '73 (or the Japanese '72 to 74' CB350F)?

Is this for domestic sales or for export? And are all parts for the original parallel twin Honda CB350 '68 to '73 (or the Japanese '72 to 74' CB350F)?

Rick-BKK,

Most, if not all, of these would be for export, though there is also a potential need in this country as well.

The reference to the CB350 is only a reference as a split cable. The part is similar, but with minor modifications I would specify to meet a usage criteria I have for customization of a standard bike setup/configuration.

The other parts are for a 78 to early 83/84 Twin cylinder Japanese bike needing parts replaced due to age, design/engineering deficiencies, or simply upgrades to more modern materials than were available at the time of original manufacture. The OEM manufacturer no longer supports this bike and parts are largely NLA (no longer available) to the large community of owners internationally.

Thank You,

M in Chiang Mai

Rick-BKK,

Most, if not all, of these would be for export, though there is also a potential need in this country as well.

The reference to the CB350 is only a reference as a split cable. The part is similar, but with minor modifications I would specify to meet a usage criteria I have for customization of a standard bike setup/configuration.

The other parts are for a 78 to early 83/84 Twin cylinder Japanese bike needing parts replaced due to age, design/engineering deficiencies, or simply upgrades to more modern materials than were available at the time of original manufacture. The OEM manufacturer no longer supports this bike and parts are largely NLA (no longer available) to the large community of owners internationally.

Thank You,

M in Chiang Mai

The problem is the quantity of parts of the same specifications, also the material used – older ('60s and early '70s) use different materials for pistons than modern engines. What means different setup and precision for machining the pistons and other parts. If you think about 100 pieces per item, I can probably help you... if not you maybe can find the parts you need at sellers like http://www.akunar.com

Also upgrading a piston for older engine to modern materials would also involve changing the cylinder sleeve. A piston made from modern alloy would not last long in an old fashion cast-iron cylinder...

Using Google to find a lot of things in LOS is frustrating and often fruitless. Try China, Taiwan or Korea.

I certainly agree doing the google thing in LOS is frustrating.

I'd like to keep production here if possible.

After all, with all the major car and motorcycle manufacturers here, one must think there is a strong network of support industries with the skills to support all these manufacturers.

I just going to have to dig deeper.

Thanks,

M

Rick-BKK,

Thank You,

M in Chiang Mai

The problem is the quantity of parts of the same specifications, also the material used – older ('60s and early '70s) use different materials for pistons than modern engines. What means different setup and precision for machining the pistons and other parts. If you think about 100 pieces per item, I can probably help you... if not you maybe can find the parts you need at sellers like http://www.akunar.com

Also upgrading a piston for older engine to modern materials would also involve changing the cylinder sleeve. A piston made from modern alloy would not last long in an old fashion cast-iron cylinder...

Richard,

The pistons are a more modern aluminum alloy. Samples would be provided the manufacturer can use to assess the exact composition and as a template. Required would be standard and 50 tho over size. There would be two different basic sizes, tho one would be a lower production run. It would also be good if the manufacturer also provided wrist pins and rings as well.

Would orders of 100 or more be possible? Pistons, perhaps. Cam Chains, a near certainty, possibly with the Guide and Tensioner as well. As with most things, it boils down to price, price, price. And quality. Throttle cables, likely as well, and it requires only a slight modification to a standard split cable as found on the CB350.

I think you'll understand Richard, as I think you too have a passion for bikes, that the purpose here is to keep these very unique bikes on the road for as long as possible and make these parts available to passionate owners at a reasonable price, not to make a pile of money on them. There are a few of these bikes in Thailand as well, tho typically of a smaller cc size that are now sitting unused because of a lack of replacement parts. We also are in development of replacement CDI's for this and other twins that are a frequently needed item.

I look forward to continued discussions,

M

I've found the Thai's want bigger quantities than the Chinese. I rate car parts as:

1/ For model less than 4 years old and low volume. Only want small volume depending on part, 50 - 200

2/ For model less than 4 years medium volume. Only want small volume depending on part, 100 - 250

3/ For model less than 4 years old and high volume. 250 - 1000

4/ For model 4 years old up to 9 years and low volume. Only want small volume depending on part, 50 - 200

5/ For model 4 years old up to 9 years and medium volume. 100 - 250

6/ For model 4 years old up to 9 years and high volume. 250 - 1000

7/ Anything over 9 years the minimum I can get at fair price or not buy at all!

My business is small fry, I can't afford to carry dead stock. I'd rather not carry stock that I can't shift at least 90% of in 12 months or less.