Police Check For Retirement Visa In Aus

I am looking at the Thai consulate requirements for a retirement Visa and the mention a Police check, Can anybody enlighten me what or where do I get this ?

You can get one from any police station.

So Sonhua I can just walk into any local Sydney police station and they can provide a letter or something ?

That's right. Not sure if you can only obtain it in your state of residence or not but it is a standardised printout

I am at home at the moment in Sydney I will call into my local Police and ask them, Thanks Sonhua

No worries, best of luck.

I got one last year (although I ended up not using it) by turning up at the counter of my local station here in Qld. All they need are some of your personal details and to verify who you are. Just take your drivers licence.

Keep in mind that the police check is only valid (for the consulate's visa purposes) for three months.

If you have to have a Police Check from Australia, they are done by the Australian Federal Police (AFP).

It is known as National Police Check (NPC) Application Form.

Form CR501

They require a Cheque made out to the AFP for the sum of $43.00.

Go to their web site www.afp.gov.au and search for the form.

Application guide is there as well.

hope this helps

OZEMADE

Edited by OZEMADE

Just trying to save you some hassle - check Mario's wise post above.

I assume you are going to apply for non-immigrant O visa. Although I was living in Coffs (2011),

I went through the Brisbane consulate (they had good reputation).

Cost ~ $200, had to provide evidence of money in Austr (sent in photocopy of a term deposit),

a couple of visa-style photos + passport registered mail, returned at my expense ord. post.

DIDN'T have to get police or medical checks. [Police checks can take > 2 weeks, at your expense].

Assuming you get it, non-imm O for over 50s with intention of retiring in Thailand:

You get one year to make your first entry into LOS.

You can use this visa to open a bank acct here in LOS.

You have to cross a border ( ie. visa-stamp-run ) every 90 days.

Then you can decide how you want to get the 'retirement extension':

on the basis of bank balance > 800,000 baht (deposited minimum 60 days); OR

stat dec from Austr embassy declaring you have monthly income > 65,000 baht; OR

combination of the above.

If you don't want to do visa runs, you can go to your local Immi office

after your money has been in bank 60 days, and/or visit to embassy,

and apply for the one-year extension on the basis of retirement,

essentially converting your multi-entry non-imm O to an annual extension of stay

(= "retirement visa")

Sorry if this has made things clear as mud,

but there are more ways of killing the cat than running it down.

(I know, I used to be an aussie vet). Cheers, AA

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

You can not extend any visa entry at a Consulate or Embassy - you do that at immigration only. Brisbane can not issue a long stay retirement visa so the only option from them is a non immigrant O visa (which as stated can be used and extended later with money in Thailand for retirement extension of stay on a yearly basis). But the money would not have to be in Thailand for the O-A visa one year stay and if a multi entry that could cover up to two years before bank funds required in Thailand (if going to use deposit method). So yes there are options. For the extension in Thailand the medical and police checks would not be required so for some a better choice as some doctors can be quite expensive if testing were required for them to sign off.

Thanks Lop3 for the disambiguation. You are always on the ball!

When quoth I <and/or visit to embassy,> this was in case the OP decides to go combined bank acct/embassy declaration method.

This was preceded by <If you don't want to do visa runs, you can go to your local Immi office>,

which I hoped would be understood to be superior to the consequent clauses in the paragraph.

I must have killed too many cats and eaten too many muddy catfish. AA

You may be able to walk into a police station and get one in some states however in at least Western Australia the procedure is to fill in a form then go to a major Post Office with the fee. They check your 100 points of identity and then tell you it will take 3 weeks. In my case I received it in 6 days. It is only posted to you. You cannot pick it up.

• Like 1

Just trying to save you some hassle - check Mario's wise post above.

I assume you are going to apply for non-immigrant O visa. Although I was living in Coffs (2011),

I went through the Brisbane consulate (they had good reputation).

Cost ~ $200, had to provide evidence of money in Austr (sent in photocopy of a term deposit),

a couple of visa-style photos + passport registered mail, returned at my expense ord. post.

DIDN'T have to get police or medical checks. [Police checks can take > 2 weeks, at your expense].

Assuming you get it, non-imm O for over 50s with intention of retiring in Thailand:

You get one year to make your first entry into LOS.

You can use this visa to open a bank acct here in LOS.

You have to cross a border ( ie. visa-stamp-run ) every 90 days.

Then you can decide how you want to get the 'retirement extension':

on the basis of bank balance > 800,000 baht (deposited minimum 60 days); OR

stat dec from Austr embassy declaring you have monthly income > 65,000 baht; OR

combination of the above.

If you don't want to do visa runs, you can go to your local Immi office

after your money has been in bank 60 days, and/or visit to embassy,

and apply for the one-year extension on the basis of retirement,

essentially converting your multi-entry non-imm O to an annual extension of stay

(= "retirement visa")

Sorry if this has made things clear as mud,

but there are more ways of killing the cat than running it down.

(I know, I used to be an aussie vet). Cheers, AA

I'm sorry! How come you used to be an Ozy Vet, Oh I get it, an animal vet...silly me! wai.gifgiggle.gif

Youch! Big charges for the Oz police check.

In Canada, we can stop by the local RCMP office (not local police, as they do charge and it takes weeks) and get the certificate in a few minutes, free. clap2.gif