British Man Claims Bt100,000 Left In Bangkok Taxi

webfact

British man claims money left in taxi

By Coconuts Bangkok

180367-578x311.jpg

Sudjai Chaihabood (center) and John Richard Duffy (right) Photo: Dailynews

BANGKOK: -- John Richard Duffy, a 60-year-old British businessman, came straight back from Myanmar yesterday night after learning about a cash bag that he had left in the back of a taxicab.

As Coconuts Bangkok reported earlier today, Sudjai Chaihabood, a taxi driver from Nakhon Ratchasima, was trying to find a foreign passenger who left THB100,000 worth of cash in US and Burmese currency in his car’s back seat. Sudjai said that he picked Duffy up on Soi Sukhumvit 31 and dropped him off at [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...y-left-in-taxi/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-01-24

footer_n.gif

Oops, musta been flustered to forget the money and what a stroke of luck that an honest man found it. Still, what goes around comes around, let there be more helpful and honest people populate this planet of ours.

• Like 1

People ought to be more aware and tuned in when they are carrying valuables in public transportation. This guy is very luck, and the cab driver is a rarity. Happy ending but most events like this are not happy endings.

True but it's not so easy when you're not so young, it's hot and you're probably in a rush.

I'm sure that this sort of thing can happen to the best of us.

However, what a wonderful thread this is, quite a breath of fresh air.

you see!! to all Thai disposers on tvn, there are still good thais as well as the other types

Honestly, in any other country other than Thailand, the bag of money would have been returned undoubtedly?

Is it ONLY in TH that a comment like " there are still good thais as well as the other types" is warranted?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOh Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!

I have to say the majority of the taxi drivers in Thailand (in my experiences) have been okay and some honest examples are certainly showing them in a good light. Good man and merit will be accumulated.

One even drove back across Bangkok to return my bag, complete with mobile, passport and money clip. I haven't had a similar experience in Britain or the US.
  • Like 1

People ought to be more aware and tuned in when they are carrying valuables in public transportation. This guy is very luck, and the cab driver is a rarity. Happy ending but most events like this are not happy endings.

The cab driver is not a rarity at all. There are plenty of honest cab drivers.

you see!! to all Thai disposers on tvn, there are still good thais as well as the other types

Honestly, in any other country other than Thailand, the bag of money would have been returned undoubtedly?

Is it ONLY in TH that a comment like " there are still good thais as well as the other types" is warranted?

what utter <deleted>.

• Like 1

Last time we were in Bangkok we got out of a taxi and a couple of Thai men got in.

As we were walking away there was shouting behind us and we turned to see the taxi driver chasing after us waving my shoulder bag; which contained my phone, camera, wallet with about 5,000baht in it and my passport.

He explained to my wife that his new passengers had found it on the back seat and given it to him. On opening it he saw my passport and so chased after us to return it.

My wife thanked him, and then gave me a bollocking for forgetting it!

From posts by some members it would seem that this type of honesty is rare in Thailand; I like to think differently.

Not saying that all Thais would have done the same as this, or that the same would definitely have happened in, for example, London. I'm not naive.

Indeed, I used to work in he UK with a man who found a wallet with about £200 in it. He did hand it in to the police; after he pocketed the £200!

On my last trip (Jan/April, 2011) - I walked away from Starbucks (just off Silom on Convent) and was looking for my BTS pass when I realized I didn't have my wallet - so I backtracked and asked the servers at Starbucks if they had found it - the manager had it in the office. I offered the servers the baht that was in it but they refused so I left it in the tip jar. There was maybe 500 baht plus passport copy and BTS pass, so the loss would have been minimal. I was ashamed of my first cynical thought which was.... "well some #@$%* gets to ride the BTS on my dime!"

I am a confirmed cynical pessimist; yet I become overjoyed when encountering humble human beings who prove me wrong! Who knows, I may eventually become a pessimistic optimist.

My gf and I went to Singapore for a few days. She left the digitial camera in the luggage cart when we got into the taxi. Discovered it on the way to the hotel. Arrived at the hotel, called the airport, they had my camera. Went back, told them what kind, model and color. Got my camera.

While there are indeed many despicable Thais ... as with any country ... in the past thirty years I've experienced far more good Thais than bad ones.
  • Like 1

Always look back! Get into the habit of checking the seat as you close the taxi door - it becomes automatic after a while.

When exiting a taxi ... or any car ... I instinctively feel for my wallet and stick by head back in the door and look at the seat and floor ... and occasionally I actually see something I forgot or that slipped out of a shopping bag.

How would you possibly know the actual statistics on this?