Grassroots Red-Shirt Rally Puts Thai Govt In Tricky Spot

webfact

Yesterday's rebel red-shirt protest caught many political observers by surprise. The rally drew a little over 1,000 people and had failed to get the blessing of the movement's leaders, but it will likely put the government in an awkward position.

The mainstream Red Shirts announced they would hold a protest on April 10th to commemorate the 3rd anniversary of the fighting during the Red Shirt Riots of April and May 2010.

Red Shirt Leader Thida asked businesses in the area affected by the Red Shirt rally not to assign blame for the disruption of their businesses to her Red Shirts, but to instead assign blame to Abhisit and Suthep.

Edited by Buchholz

Yesterday's rebel red-shirt protest caught many political observers by surprise. The rally drew a little over 1,000 people and had failed to get the blessing of the movement's leaders, but it will likely put the government in an awkward position.

The mainstream Red Shirts announced they would hold a protest on April 10th to commemorate the 3rd anniversary of the fighting during the Red Shirt Riots of April and May 2010.

Red Shirt Leader Thida asked businesses in the area affected by the Red Shirt rally not to assign blame for the disruption of their businesses to her Red Shirts, but to instead assign blame to Abhisit and Suthep.

A fine example of red logic, which excludes the possibility of blame being attached to them.

Definite logic in that.

If they had called out the tanks when the first grenade was fired at the army then the business would not have been affected.

Would have been a lot more red shirt blood on the road but what the heck.

Surely the Red Shirt leaders should ask 'Amnesty International' to join their campaign. There must be grounds for the release of all prisoners that have not been formally convicted of a crime, under Thailand's own commitment to human rights.

That reminds me what happened to the 100 Red Shirts that were rounded up and held under 'Abhisit's State of Emergency gambit'?

Probably still in jail.

Ask your favourite party who are running the government why they are not freed on bail yet NOT Abhisit who unless you have forgotten has not been in power for the last 18 months and therefore CANNOT be held responsible.

Perhaps the PTP under Thaksin has no more interest in them.

• Like 1

So it is ok for one to stage protest but not for others .

He ( Pol. Capt. Chalerm) added later if the EC refused to endorse M.R. Sukhumbhand, supporters of the Democrat Party must abide by the rule and refrain from amassing a rally against the EC’s decision.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/625596-central-election-commission-to-decide-fate-of-bangkok-governor-elect/?p=6200433

So it is ok for one to stage protest but not for others .

>He ( Pol. Capt. Chalerm) added later if the EC refused to endorse M.R. Sukhumbhand, supporters of the Democrat Party must abide by the rule and refrain from amassing a rally against the EC’s decision.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/625596-central-election-commission-to-decide-fate-of-bangkok-governor-elect/?p=6200433

One thing I really admire about this Pardon Thaksin Party and the lapdog DSI is that there are absolutely no double standards. sick.gif

• Like 1

Let me see if I understand this correctly. I bring a group of people into central Bangkok and close the streets, bringing traffic to a standstill, costing the local businesses millions of Baht in lost revenue, littering the streets with trash, the same people who three years ago caused multimillions Baht of damage to the same area, resulting in many local businesses to go bankrupt, also resulting in many deaths and causing total confusion. Then I state I cannot be held accountable for my own actions. Someone else is to blame. Absolutely insane.

• Like 2

Let me see if I understand this correctly. I bring a group of people into central Bangkok and close the streets, bringing traffic to a standstill, costing the local businesses millions of Baht in lost revenue, littering the streets with trash, the same people who three years ago caused multimillions Baht of damage to the same area, resulting in many local businesses to go bankrupt, also resulting in many deaths and causing total confusion. Then I state I cannot be held accountable for my own actions. Someone else is to blame. Absolutely insane.

You understand ThidaThink, as it's becoming known by, quite correctly.

If you were attending red shirt commune school # 11, you'd be eligible for advancement.

• Like 2

You understand ThidaThink, as it's becoming known by, quite correctly.

If you were attending red shirt commune school # 11, you'd be eligible for advancement.

And from a far distance you hear an old deperate man saying: "We have to leconcile, hold hands and forget what happened" sick.gif

• Like 2

Will my source of inspiration Robert A. also join the 3rd commemoration of April 10th 2010? No doubt he'll be able to tell all about the tremendous progress that has been made with the case dropped at the ICC for consideration.

BTW did Ms. Thida 'ask' or 'tell' business to blame others for disruption of their businesses?

PS if only we had Pol. General Pongsapat as Bangkok governor I'm sure we Bangkok citizens would not be disturbed again by this bunch of commemorators. Anyway without a governor who will order 50,000 police officers to be on standby? Dept PM Pol. Captain Chalerm?

Will my source of inspiration Robert A. also join the 3rd commemoration of April 10th 2010? No doubt he'll be able to tell all about the tremendous progress that has been made with the case dropped at the ICC for consideration.

BTW did Ms. Thida 'ask' or 'tell' business to blame others for disruption of their businesses?

PS if only we had Pol. General Pongsapat as Bangkok governor I'm sure we Bangkok citizens would not be disturbed again by this bunch of commemorators. Anyway without a governor who will order 50,000 police officers to be on standby? Dept PM Pol. Captain Chalerm?

Indeed, Chalerm needs to deploy the same 50,000 policemen with barricades left over from the Pitak Siam rally. Also, to avoid double standards, he should be issuing warnings to all potential attendees of the great risk of violence. Road block checks set up on the route in, etc, etc

As for Amsterdam, is he even still getting paid? He hasn't issued a press release on his website since November. :huh:

Hasn't posted an update since January.

Hasn't had a reader comment since........ well, ever..

Comments are closed.

Edited by Buchholz

• 4 weeks later...

The Nation

April 5, 2013

The red shirts will hold a rally on April 10 at Rajdamnoen Avenue to mark the months-long protest in 2010.

The April 10 rally is scheduled to run from 1pm to midnight and motorists are advised to avoid the area.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-04-05

Local television depicts the Red Shirts rallying up this afternoon on Ratchadamnern avenue

Scheduled to go until midnight or so.

Local television depicts the Red Shirts rallying up this afternoon on Ratchadamnern avenue

Back to the scene of the crime

Let's hope the violence will be kept at a minimum. Would be a pity if the newly built shopping center would be torched for the second time.

Let's hope the violence will be kept at a minimum. Would be a pity if the newly built shopping center would be torched for the second time.

According to some the next time will be the third.

How did the red shirts help the ruling politicians get the power they hold. They were offered early elections by Abhisit but they turned them down. They then had to wait until the Democrats had to call an election anyway before they were voted in so I don't see what they did that changed what would have happened anyway.

I do agree with them on the lese majeste issue though.

"until the Democrats had to call an election anyway"

That would have been December-2012, former-PM Abhisit actually called the election six months early, for July-2012.

I too agree, and suspect that many other farangs would agree, about l.m. being enforced over-strictly.

you mean after the annual flood and risk being blamed for?