Kamnan Poh Arrested In Bangkok

webfact

Urgent: Kamnan Poh arrested in Bangkok

newsjs

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Somchai Khunplome, alias Kamnan Poh who is the father of the culture minister, was arrested Wednesday at a hospital in Bangkok's Pattanakarn area.

Somchai, former mayor of Tambon Sansuek administration in Chon Buri, has been on the run from a jail term in a corruption case.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-30

• Like 2

related:

Background story from 2012:

Kamnan Poh jail term confirmed

March 13, 2012

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court yesterday upheld the 25-year jail term for Somchai "Kamnan Poh" Khunplome, 73, and Passakorn Homhuan, 44, a former member of Chon Buri's Saensuk Municipal Council, for masterminding the murder of Tambon Tha Samet Kamnan Prayoon Sitthichoke at a wedding party in March 2003.

Since the two defendants failed to show up for the reading of the verdict yesterday, the Supreme Court read its ruling in their absence and issued arrest warrants for them.

On June 21, 2004, the Criminal Court sentenced the two men to 25 years each in jail after finding them guilty of hiring gunmen for Bt3 million to kill Prayoon. The Criminal Court ordered Somchai to serve the jail term, after completing a five-year-and-four-month sentence given to him in another ruling for corruption in the purchase of public land in Tambon Khao Mai Kaew to build a garbage landfill.

The pair appealed for the case to be dismissed, claiming they were innocent and had no previous dispute with Prayoon. The Appeal Court on October 12, 2006 upheld the Criminal Court verdict, prompting the pair to appeal to the Supreme Court.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-30

• Like 1

related

'Kamnan Poh': The long-living godfather

One of Thailand's best-known "godfathers", Somchai Kunplome - or Kamnan Poh as he is known - has come a long way since dropping out of school after Grade 4.

There was certainly a lot for this son of a Chon Buri village headman to look back on when he celebrated his 65th birthday last month. He had this to say about his education, or lack of it, in the recently released book, "In Search of the Meaning of a Man Named Poh''.

"At the time, people did not give much importance to education. In fact, my mother wanted me to continue school but I decided not to," he recalled. "Godfather" is a term used to describe influential persons, usually in the provinces, with presumed criminal links. Kamnan means village headman.

Poh's first job was as a bus boy on the Bang Saen-Chon Buri route. He later became a bus service operator after managing to acquire a vehicle. That business only lasted a year.

He spent the next two years as a helper on a fishing boat, before entering into the monkhood. A stint in the military soon followed. He was still only 21. After completing his military service, he returned home and shortly afterwards married Satil, a beauty from his Bang Saen neighbourhood.

The couple had their first son, Sontaya - Thailand's new tourism and sports minister - in 1963. Poh returned to the fishing industry, and his life changed forever when he bumped into a French tourist on holiday in Bang Saen. The well-connected Frenchman later invited him to run a commercial fishing business in Cambodia.

Poh, who was elected headman of tambon Saen Suk, a sub-district of Bang Saen, in 1966 at age 29, used his influence to mobilise 14 boats for the venture. The rapid rise of his business and influence later spilled over into other provincial districts. Growing up in Chon Buri, known for its high number of gangsters and mafia members, he was used to seeing power asserted.

"During my childhood, being a nak-leng [gangster] was not unusual. There used to be around 30 bridges in the province and each was controlled by three different nak-leng.

Torture and killing were commonplace," he recalled in his book. In 1976, Poh moved up the village governance ladder when he was elected kamnan of tambon Saen Suk. His fast-rising influence prompted the now-defunct Social Action party to enlist him as its key canvasser for a general election. Eventually, he helped former finance minister Boonchu Rojanasathien win a House seat in Chon Buri.

The victory earned Poh plaudits from the party's leader, former premier MR Kukrit Pramoj, because at the time the Chon Buri constituency was a key to victory. For a long period Chon Buri was dominated by Uthai Pimchaichon, the current president of Parliament. Poh recalled that Kukrit used to visit him when he was ill. "He said he missed me so he dropped by when he was around my neighbourhood.

We did not talk much. When I was mentioned [in connection with the death of Sia Hor - a former Chon Buri godfather killed in broad daylight in 1981], newspapers published this story for months. One day, MR Krukrit wrote in his column in Siam Rath about this.

The next day, other newspapers suddenly stopped writing about me." Politically, Poh was a loyal supporter of the Social Action Party for a long time, before championing the now-defunct Samakki Tham Party. He later supported the Chat Pattana and Chat Thai parties.

In the last general election, Poh managed to help the Chart Thai Party win all eight House seats in the province amid the Thai Rak Thai Party's national landslide. That, Poh asserted, reflected the good deeds he had done for Chon Buri's voters over the past 30 years. Those "good deeds'' also helped two of his children, Wittaya and Ittipol, get elected Chon Buri MPs.

Source: http://www.nationmul...ther-66927.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-30

Is this the guy they call the Godfather of Chonburi ??

Yes. Been on the run for 8 years according to MCOT Ch9.

Now BIB can stop not looking for him. I note that no mention of him smuggling cigarettes in from Indonesia which it was said netted him great gold.

No jail time on account of his poor health is my prediction.

• Like 2

Somchai Khunpluem

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Somchai Khunpluem, alternatively spelled Kunplome (Thai: สมชาย คุณปลื้ม), born 30 September 1937 in Chonburi, Thailand)[1] is a Thai politician, businessman and organized crime boss.[2] He is also known under his nickname "Kamnan Poh" (Thai: กำนันเป๊าะ, "village chief Poh"). He is highly influential in his home province of Chonburi and the whole Eastern region and has therefore been dubbed "Godfather of Chonburi"[1] or "Godfather of the East" by Thai media.[3] Somchai was long-term mayor of Saen Suk, Mueang Chonburi District.

Murder case

Somchai, together with local councillor Passakorn Homhuan, was charged with premeditated murder of Prayoon Sithichote, headman of a neighbouring sub-district, through hired killers in 2003.[6] They were sentenced to 25 years in jail by the Criminal Court in June 2004. Pending the appeal proceedings, Somchai was set free on terms of a ten million baht bail.[1] The Appeals Court confirmed the verdict in October 2005. He was also covicted in a corruption case in connection with the construction of a garbage dump, for which he was sentenced to five years and four months in jail.[7][8] Somchai however was absent from the trials and is believed to have fled the country.

Read more: http://en.wikipedia....mchai_Khunpluem

CRIME

Fugitive Kamnan Poh arrested

The Nation

30199011-01_big.jpg

Photo : @NarisKinimarn

BANGKOK: -- Runaway Somchai Khunplome, alias Kamnan Poh, father of the culture minister, was arrested Wednesday in Bangkok's Pattanakarn area after escaping a jail term of 25 years on murder case 10 years ago.

His son, Sonthaya, looked tense and serious while talking on the phone reportedly about his father's arrest.

He was picked up by police when his Lexus stopped at the Pattanakarn expressway toll gate. He was understood to have been visiting his doctor at Samitivej Hospital’s Pattanakarn branch.

Found in his car were medicines for heart disease and high blood pressure. However, the medicine bags were in the name of Kim sae Tang, the identification he gave to the hospital to receive treatment.

Under the seats, police found a shotgun and six bullets.

Somchai, former mayor of Tambon Sansuek administration in Chon Buri and an influential figure in Pattaya, was sentenced to 25 years in jail by the Supreme Court in 2012 for masterminding the murder of Tambon Tha Samet Kamnan Prayoon Sitthichoke at a wedding party in March 2003. He was taken to the Crime Suppression Division head office on Soi Chokchai 4 for questioning.

Somchai and another defendant, Passakorn Homhuan, 44, failed to show up for the reading of the verdict last year, so the Supreme Court read its ruling in their absence and issued arrest warrants for them.

On June 21, 2004, the Criminal Court sentenced the two men to 25 years each in jail after finding them guilty of hiring gunmen for Bt3 million to kill Prayoon. The Criminal Court ordered Somchai to serve the jail term, after completing a fiveyearandfourmonth sentence given to him in another ruling for corruption in the purchase of public land in Tambon Khao Mai Kaew to build a garbage landfill.

The pair appealed for the case to be dismissed, claiming they were innocent and had no previous dispute with Prayoon. The Appeal Court on October 12, 2006 upheld the Criminal Court verdict, prompting the pair to appeal to the Supreme Court.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-30

About time.

I was just wondering the other day where he might be. I was assuming he was still in Thailand, although rumour was Cambodia.

There was a party in my old Chon Buri house when he was convicted, nobody could believe it.

As KerryD says, how the heck is his family still in politics?

• Like 1

No doubt he'll make bail in no time. Not like he's a flight risk or anything....

Everyone should have a little thai court in their pocket. Justice in Thailand is a lovely gadget. Handy, affordable, and convenient for those that matter.

• Like 1

No doubt he'll make bail in no time. Not like he's a flight risk or anything....

He does not even need to make bail. Several of his family members are government officials, and I am sure they can use their rank alone to bail him out. At least that seems to work for everyone else :-)

• Like 2

About time.

I was just wondering the other day where he might be. I was assuming he was still in Thailand, although rumour was Cambodia.

There was a party in my old Chon Buri house when he was convicted, nobody could believe it.

As KerryD says, how the heck is his family still in politics?

It seems to be a prerequisite to have murderers in your close family, if you want a position in the current government. This guarantees that you are corrupt, and therefore have no intention to expose corrupt colleagues. I am sure Chalerm and his son, the cop killer, will testify to that.

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

Still amazed at how this guy goes on the lam and his 2 sons get elected (one - Governor of Chon Buri, the other - Mayor of Pattaya).

Surprised that he was recognized at the hospital as well, especially as he has been out of the limelight for quite awhile.

Nothing amazing, just typical of a fuedal, corrupt country.

If he has been in Thailand all this time, I wonder who has known of his whereabouts.

Who wonder who had the guts to arrest him.

'Someone who didn't know better', might be a correct assumption.

• Like 1