Who Will Replace Thaksin As Pm?

davidm

Plenty of candidates out there. Some of the more obvious ones:-

1. His son (yes, the boy who was caught cheating his exams at Ramkamhaeng University.

2. Another member of the Shinawatra family. Perhaps his cousin after his stint in charge of the army.

3. Another member of the TRT party.

4. The leader of the Democrats.

5. The leader of another Thai political party.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not at all scared of all the supposed SAS wackos on this site, but Thai politics is a different manner! :o

Chuan was a true good guy, something that can be difficult to find in certain locales. :D His problem was being surrounded by people who weren't. Still the Democrats weren't the ones who caused what happened in 97, and they were the ones that paid off most of the loans and cleaned things up - as much as one can here. :D

We have a different take on the man and the party. Chuan never took any money directly, but can you say the same thing about his common-law wife (for the record, I am not accusing her of corruption)? Also, did he have to declare her activities to parliament as they never legally married?

As you know, the Democrats were the leading party in a coalition government from late 1992 to 1995. They were also partners in a number of previous governments dating back to 1987 (which is when the previous boom started, so I'm not interested in what happened before in this case). The economic crisis of 97 was the consequence of years of economic mismanagement, corruption and outright theft by politicians and their cronies. The Democrats, and Chuan, must take a large portion of the blame for what happened.

Can't recall the previous administration, and in particular the spineless little lawyer who was nominally in charge, doing anything of note. What did I miss?

Chuan and his administation had to deal with the mess left by Chavilit. They tried to make businessmen pay back money they'd borrowed. Fat chance.

Those folks didn't like that. That's when all the b*##!**t about foriegners taking over Thai companies started. So they backed Taksin.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not at all scared of all the supposed SAS wackos on this site, but Thai politics is a different manner! :o

Chuan was a true good guy, something that can be difficult to find in certain locales. :D His problem was being surrounded by people who weren't. Still the Democrats weren't the ones who caused what happened in 97, and they were the ones that paid off most of the loans and cleaned things up - as much as one can here. :D

fully agreed. :D

At the moment, Thai politics is noteworthy for the fact that there is NO heir apparent waiting in the wings to replace the incumbent jester. Things might have been different, had the Democrats voted in Abhisit as their leader, who MIGHT have given Tox a good run for his money in a well orchestrated campaign, and isn't tainted with the whiff of mega-corruption. But this is all academic, as they chose another Chuan-clone, who will um and ar and krapom his way into eventual obscurity. Chamlong needs to bring out some of the products of his "leadership school" and see what they have to say for themselves. :o

Chamlong needs to bring out some of the products of his "leadership school" and see what they have to say for themselves.

It was Chamlong that brought Dear Leader into politics. Can't see him introducing a potential rival to his protege.

Chamlong needs to bring out some of the products of his "leadership school" and see what they have to say for themselves.

It was Chamlong that brought Dear Leader into politics. Can't see him introducing a potential rival to his protege.

I'm well aware that Tox got in to parliament first time round on the shirt-tails of the Palang Dharma party and feigned interest in Chamlong's schemes, but once he set up TRT and got in as PM, he soon forgot all that mullarkey about prudent spending, self-sufficiency and strict self discipline a la Maha and was soon doing it his way, and his way alone. I think you'll find that there's not much love lost between the two these days, and Chamlong is probably rueing the day he allowed him & Sudie into the "Moral Forcers". Now they are a spent force in national politics, it would be interesting to know what the party faithful think of the present situation. (Maybe the midnight closing order was a concession to them?) :o

I read things differently. It was Chamlong who compromised his principles in a last ditch effort to get into power. He thought Thaksin's money and popularity as a successful businessman would lead to more MPs. BTW, the funniest thing I ever saw in local politics was the attempt to win votes based on the sex appeal of Sudarat. The picture of this middle-aged Chinese woman in a simpering pose was plastered all over Bangkok as her party had run out of policy ideas to appeal to voters.

Wackos???

I hate to say it but I do agree with the Porge on this, I lived in Trang for over 6 years ( jesus I am starting to sound like him :D ) and met K.Chuan on a couple of occasions, what a gent, very honest guy and a pleasure to meet, he is truely loved down there and I can see why.

As for Toxin,

His ego will not allow him to go till the bitter end, same as with Maggie Thatcher in the UK he will be taken down with an internal coup, and leave with an embarrasing exit.

Don't underestimate this guy, and don't underestimate his $$$$ power, he can and will do pretty much what he wants here, I think we will see him in for another 4 years or at least till he is forcibly removed. He has already secured the communications industry, what is next? a private army?

The way he has changed things within parliament he is in a serious of looking like a dictator anyway.

Basher

The way he has changed things within parliament he is in a serious of looking like a dictator anyway.

lucky for us that we can just pack up and leave when the time come, but i do feel sorry for the Thai that have to stay behind.

lucky for us that we can just pack up and leave when the time come, but i do feel sorry for the Thai that have to stay behind.

Yes so true, it would be a shame if it all went wrong for us and they delt us the 'final cut' there would be a mass exodus via the embassies..

I better get the wifes visa up to date just in case... :o