Moving To Bangkok

Silleck

Hello,

So I'm moving to Bangkok in about a week.

I won't have a job, but I intend to get one rather soon, I'm a certified teacher with about 6 years of experience.

I have a few questions.

How easy will it be for me to find a job?

Where is the best place to rent a short term apartment for when I arrive?

Are there any get togethers you all do?

I've been living in Moscow, and a few other countries, what should I except from Bangkok?

Thanks!

Brandon

So, why has it become fashionable to start sentences with "so"?

Secondly, if the OP does not know a bit more about living and working in Thailand than he seems to, perhaps he should do some proper research first, not just ask a few random strangers on an internet forum.

• Like 2

Might I recommend u get a long term guest house , they offer special deals if you stay long term until u find we're you might be teaching it would be easier. Then you are not bound for the deposit and other requirements.

Then when you find a teaching job move closer to the school because Bkk and surrounding area is big and can take hours to get some were ,

When I first came here 10 years age that is what I did and when I got a job I moved closer ato the job at that time I was near Khason rd then I moved to Nontaburi been here ever since.

There are a lot of schools in Nontaburi and you won't have to pay much for a condo to rent either and the salaries are almost the same as centre town.

Good luck

I hate that. It's just one of those insidious trends that, like most butchery of the English language, begins in America but spreads like wildfire among the more impressionable.

The word "so" at the beginning of a sentence now replaces the word "Uh" or "Er" as an attention-grabber but with the annoying tendency to be used when writing.

Anyway just sort out a job and work out the rest when you get here. Unfortunately, a transition of the magnitude you're making can't be neatly packaged and ready-to-go over the internet.

Edited by HardenedSoul

I hate that. It's just one of those insidious trends that, like most butchery of the English language, begins in America but spreads like wildfire among the more impressionable.

The word "so" at the beginning of a sentence now replaces the word "Uh" or "Er" as an attention-grabber but with the annoying tendency to be used when writing.

Anyway just sort out a job and work out the rest when you get here. Unfortunately, a transition of the magnitude you're making can't be neatly packaged and ready-to-go over the internet.

I'll be coming from Moscow, Russia, so I'm not really worried about the transition.

Of course I can find a ton of information on the internet, but I'd rather post on a forum, where I can get better help in my opinion.

Anyone have a guest house they would recommend?

Is it possible to rent a scooter?

Its a bit like, "totally understand".

Anyway <deleted> is a "certified teacher"?

Certified where from KSR?

Yeah sure come on over and join the other dreamers working their butt off for 30k per month.

Yeah sure come on over and join the other dreamers working their butt off for 30k per month.

If I wanted to make a lot of money, I'd stay in Moscow.

It's not my main reason for coming to Bangkok.

I'm with you guys on that. Maybe he was just paying tribute to Andrew Dice Clay, who began his stand-up in "The Diceman Cometh" with: "So, I got my tongue up this chick's a__, and she's looking at me like 'Hey, do I know you?'"

I agree that it's better to sort out everything when you arrive in BKK. I like serviced apartments, and I don't know what constitutes a guest house in Thailand. That sounds like something with 20-something backpackers that I'd want to avoid.

If I wanted to make a lot of money, I'd stay in Moscow.

It's not my main reason for coming to Bangkok.

So lets just cut right to the chase, whats her name?

I'll be coming from Moscow, Russia, so I'm not really worried about the transition.

Of course I can find a ton of information on the internet, but I'd rather post on a forum, where I can get better help in my opinion.

Anyone have a guest house they would recommend?

People asking similar questions to yours have their own unique set of circumstances and there is no one-size-fits-all solution so use the internet and the search facility on the forum.

• Like 1

No name, I don't know anyone in Bangkok. My girlfriend from Moscow, will be coming down to join me in June.

Hi Sill,

I hope you and the gf are close. Over the last 28/29 years living in SE Asia, I have seen many many US, UK and European guys relocate to BKK and Jakarta Indonesia with their gfs' and wives. I have thus seen some of these wives and all gf's as far as I remember all finally figure out that the bf has taken a bit of liking to the LBFM's here in SE Asia. But I wish you good luck.

No name, I don't know anyone in Bangkok. My girlfriend from Moscow, will be coming down to join me in June.

Hi Sill,

I hope you and the gf are close. Over the last 28/29 years living in SE Asia, I have seen many many US, UK and European guys relocate to BKK and Jakarta Indonesia with their gfs' and wives. I have thus seen some of these wives and all gf's as far as I remember all finally figure out that the bf has taken a bit of liking to the LBFM's here in SE Asia. But I wish you good luck.

Yeah we are very close, going to propose to her, when she arrives. I've lived in Thailand before, Phuket.. It was nice, too laid back for me.

My biggest concern is, where should I look for a short term place while I job hunt and apartment hunt, what area in Bangkok would you all recommend?

I don't know your budget, but there are a few cheaper serviced apartments. Nonsi Residence in the Silom/Sathorn area has been recommended on the internet several times. Judging from their website, they do offer great value for money. It's not in a great location, but not that far from the subway. There are many other serviced apartments. But they're either really spartan or much more expensive. Most of the serviced apartments for a cheap rent are in pretty bad locations. You could also check in at a cheap hotel on the outskirts of the BTS (Skytrain) line. I'd recommend getting a condo for long term stay and not an apartment building.

You'll be wanting to stay reasonably near your place of work so can't recommend a specific area based on that. For me the nicest areas in Bangkok are Phrom Phong, Thong Lor, Ekamai and Chid Lom/Lang Suan, but they're generally expensive. Around Victory Monu ment BTS, there are also some expat ghettoes. But difficult to recommend anything when you don't know where to stay. In general, you won't have a problem finding accomodation. In all areas of Bangkok, except a few small areas, there are both cheap and expensive apartments. So figure out where to work and then find a suitable condo nearby, preferably near the MRT or BTS.

• Like 1

I dont know your budget, but would suggest that you take pethaps only a hotel room whilst looking for a job. Many international schools would help with appartment when the employ you. You would want in the long run something close to where you work.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I'm with you guys on that. Maybe he was just paying tribute to Andrew Dice Clay, who began his stand-up in "The Diceman Cometh" with: "So, I got my tongue up this chick's a__, and she's looking at me like 'Hey, do I know you?'"

cheesy.gif

Possible yes, but if you don't know Bangkok not a good idea.

Despite what everybody will tell you about how dangerous the traffic is, a motorcycle/scooter is the best way to go around Bangkok... if you know where you are going. I think you should find your way around for a month or two, then think about the scooter.

Good luck.

Amazing, thanks for the input and advice!

I'm looking to spend around 10,000 to 12,000 baht a month for an apartment.

And what do you want that apartment to have in terms of amenities/facilities etc?

www.9apartment.com

I don't need a swimming pool or things like that. Just a furnished apartment, washing machine. I'd like one in a good area.

Studio or a 1 room apartment would be ideal.

Despite what everybody will tell you about how dangerous the traffic is, a motorcycle/scooter is the best way to go around Bangkok... if you know where you are going. I think you should find your way around for a month or two, then think about the scooter.

Good luck.

Yeah I'm comfortable riding a scooter, I'm not worried about traffic as much, as I've driven in Moscow, and I've never seen anything as bad as Moscow.

Good luck.

Yeah I'm comfortable riding a scooter, I'm not worried about traffic as much, as I've driven in Moscow, and I've never seen anything as bad as Moscow.

Go to Jakarta and see something worse.

And what do you want that apartment to have in terms of amenities/facilities etc?

www.9apartment.com

I don't need a swimming pool or things like that. Just a furnished apartment, washing machine. I'd like one in a good area.

10-12K for a studio/1bed in a good area is pushing it a bit. You can get a studio in a nicely furnished condo for that, but it won't be in a central area, more like around On Nut or Ratchada. If you could find something like 15-17K instead, then there should be much more choice.

www.9apartment.com

10-12K for a studio/1bed in a good area is pushing it a bit. You can get a studio in a nicely furnished condo for that, but it won't be in a central area, more like around On Nut or Ratchada. If you could find something like 15-17K instead, then there should be much more choice.

Don't really need to be in the central area, just a safe, nice place.

I've been living in Moscow, and a few other countries, what should I except from Bangkok?

1. If you are young and look nice and presentable it will be easy to get a job teaching. If you have qualifications then even easier.

2. Try to rent a room near the BTS (skytrain) or MRT (underground subway). It will be easier for you to get around the city that way as a newbie. Once you've lived here long enough to figure out the bus, motorcycle, boat system then you can venture out in search of cheaper places.

3. Haha, i've never seen large groups of foreigners hanging out together unless they've actually come here together on vacation. If you want the company of other foreigners go to Khao Sarn Road or something, that is if you don't mind hanging out with backpackers/university students on holiday.

4. Expect the unexpected. Leave all preconceived notions behind on how things should be done and just go with the flow.

Good luck and welcome to the City of Angels (or devils, depending on how you look at it).

Edited by ZXM

1. If you are young and look nice and presentable it will be easy to get a job teaching. If you have qualifications then even easier.

2. Try to rent a room near the BTS (skytrain) or MRT (underground subway). It will be easier for you to get around the city that way as a newbie. Once you've lived here long enough to figure out the bus, motorcycle, boat system then you can venture out in search of cheaper places.

3. Haha, i've never seen large groups of foreigners hanging out together unless they've actually come here together on vacation. If you want the company of other foreigners go to Khao Sarn Road or something, that is if you don't mind hanging out with backpackers/university students on holiday.

4. Expect the unexpected. Leave all preconceived notions behind on how things should be done and just go with the flow.

Good luck and welcome to the City of Angels (or devils, depending on how you look at it).

Thanks a lot for your answer. Foreigners or locals, it doesn't matter to me, I just want to meet people :)\

Is there a large Russian community in Bangkok?

Anyone know the average price to rent a scooter per month?