Bestest High Season Ever

WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw another show a few months back and according to Thai business owners in Phuket, Chinese middle-class families spend on average 50% more than white Western tourists. I don't think they are stingy but are looking for the best value for their money in terms of lodging, food, etc. but instead, spend heavily on shopping.

Correct they are just being, dare I say it, Chinese

I saw another show a few months back and according to Thai business owners in Phuket, Chinese middle-class families spend on average 50% more than white Western tourists. I don't think they are stingy but are looking for the best value for their money in terms of lodging, food, etc. but instead, spend heavily on shopping.

@electrified

Surprised that anyone can find stuff worth shopping for, all I ever see is cheap tat.

@electrified

Surprised that anyone can find stuff worth shopping for, all I ever see is cheap tat.

Like has been said earlier in the thread, the Chinese mostly do their shopping at Central and expensive designer shops in shopping malls. I agree, all the stuff sold in tourist destinations in Thailand is tat. I always look for things to buy as gifts when I travel around but can't ever find anything to buy.

This Chinese influx into the city actually started last July/August. I noticed that my low season was actual running on a par with the last high season and it was the Chinese that was the difference between this year and last..

I decided to make a further language addition to my menus, in Chinese, and I can say now the Chinese are outstripping, other nationalities by 3 to 1 easily.

They are like western backpackers in groups of 4/5/6 and more and when they come through the door, its serious hands on deck, and many times we just have to close the doors because we cant service their needs. Not just us, but all similar businesses around the Nimmen areas.

Today I was speaking to a mother and daughter, who unepectedly spoke rather good English; most dont speak a word, they dont have a have a great English learning facility. Maybe its their government being anti USA/uk.

"why are there so many Chinese now coming to Chiang Mai?"

She said.....a lot now come because of the comedy movie; a lot come also because a very famous chinese singer died in CM, but we also come because it is so cheap for us.,but generally the Chinese just love CM, lots to see and do.

Ironically the Thais dont like them, they refer to them as dirty and arrogant and kee neo.....pretty much as she describes myself.

As customers yes I agree, they go somewhere and it looks like a typhoon came through, if there is a bin they will do the utmost to throw something on the floor, only yesterday I couldnt believe how someone could actually leave behind their underwearw00t.gif nothing to do with me! (before any requests come....they are binned)

frugal is the way to describe them, they are only like us Yanks/Brits, out to save a penny if we can, and like to get a bargain.

I think i read also in the citymail that hotels/guesthouses in the city are just about 100% full for this weekend which is great. long may those Chinese keep coming, they are the boost the city needs now.

We need to tap into the market and that is from China right now, so if you are business here its time to take advantage.thumbsup.gif

I agree that business owners need to re-think their strategy and adapt to the changing times. The Chinese will be the big wave of tourism in Thailand for many years to come. I still say anyone in business should pop in to the 'Bee Shop' on Chiangmai Land and see what they are doing. It is really quite remarkable. And UG, maybe consider adding a Chinese section to your shops?? Or open Chinese language book shops?? biggrin.png But I disagree that the "Thais dont like them, they refer to them as dirty and arrogant and kee neo". Almost all the Thais I know and am friends with (including my g/f and her family) are of Chinese descent, proud of their heritage, and would never say that.

I'm glad you said 'frugal' because they're not stingy.

I said frugal because I do not think that they are being cheap. Most Chinese travelers to Thailand just don't have a lot of money to throw around.However, that may change in a few years if their economy keeps expanding like it has been.

I have to wonder about your conclusions. There are a fair number of tourists, but not a lot of the kind that spend much money. In general, from what I have observed, the Chinese are very frugal. Of course, some businesses are still doing well, but over all, I would say not anything like a few years ago when more free spending Westerners were flocking here.

A friend who owns a place (and is Chinese himself) mentioned the frugal nature of Chinese tourists to me.

He was more specifically speaking about the independent ones rather than tour packages.... he said that all they talk about when sitting around together chatting in their own lingo is how to save a baht in every conceivable way.

He seemed genuinely embarrassed about how stingy they are.

thank God.... That will give us Scots a break now...lol

• Like 2

I have to wonder about your conclusions. There are a fair number of tourists, but not a lot of the kind that spend much money. In general, from what I have observed, the Chinese are very frugal. Of course, some businesses are still doing well, but over all, I would say not anything like a few years ago when more free spending Westerners were flocking here.

Maybe they are just not buying books :) my mate owns a guesthouse 18 rooms and he is chock full and has been for the last quarter and future bookings looking very strong not only that but they seem to be spending plenty on tours etc from his tour desk and yes Chinese are a big part of his custom

dk

U.G

I ask that you go to Tops, Promenada when it is built and the guesthouses and you an see some real spending

They are spending money there ...at Loi Kron, Bars and bookshops (unless u stock Chinese books hahahha) yes they will not spend there while on a family vacation.

There are many factors involved here and it`s not as clear-cut as first may appear.

Firstly, the sale of books. Book sales and library visits are down worldwide. The obvious reason being because most reading today is done via online and using the new technologies.

Over the last few years those with the savvy who foresaw this situation in the Tourism Authority of Thailand have been trying to attract what they consider as the more lucrative Chinese and South East Asian tourists to holiday and invest in Thailand.

As regarding Chiang Mai and the Western tourists, it must be taken into consideration the clamp downs on Western style social and nightlife, plus and this is probably the number one reason for the decline in Western tourism, the dramatic deceases in Western currencies to Thai bahts. For this reason it appears that the numbers of American, British, Australian, New Zealand and European tourists are well down due to the present exchange rates. Thailand has simply become too expensive for them, which is fully understandable. It does make sense that the budget guesthouses on the lower end of the spectrum will be more popular, as those holidaying here do have have the spending power that had in the past.

Many European tourists now stay South of the country and the majority of these are Russians and East Europeans, where cities such as Phuket and Pattaya cater more for the farang tourists and ex-pats.

In Chiang Mai the tide has turned and at last it seems now these changes are finally being noticed. Of course all these changes are and will have an impact on the businesses that mostly cater for Western tourists and ex-pats. Unless the Western currencies to Thai bahts situation improves, and I cannot see this happening in the foreseeable future, than these businesses will need to adapt or drag on until if and when things pick up again.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Not to poo poo the power of film and celebrities; this article was published last December.

Thailand's northern city of Chiang Mai is expected to attract an increasing number of Chinese tourists in the foreseeable future now that a Chinese comedy shot on location in Chiang Mai has become a blockbuster in China.

According to Kasian Watanachaopisut, president of the Thai- Chinese Tourism Alliance Association, the Chinese film entitled " Lost in Thailand" has reportedly made up to 700 million yuan (111 million U.S. dollars) since it premiered in the world's most populated country earlier this month.

Produced with a 30 million yuan (4.7 million U.S. dollars) budget and directed by Chinese movie star Xu Zheng, "Lost in Thailand" might probably become China's most-viewed comedy of all time.

Kasian said the film has drawn the attention of Chinese viewers to the fascinations and tourism qualities of Chiang Mai and many are interested to visit it some day.

According to him, a total of 2.5 million Chinese tourists are estimated to visit Thailand throughout 2012, and only a meager 2 percent of them are reported to have been somehow attracted to Chiang Mai or other northern spots.

"But that comedy is believed to be drawing a lot more of the Chinese tourists to Chiang Mai where local villagers, cultural heritages and scenic, natural spots are so inviting and well- preserved," he said.

"With the help of 'Lost in Thailand' which is now a Chinese box office smash featuring Chiang Mai as a beautiful tourist spot worth visiting, we do hope that the number of Chinese tourists to Chiang Mai will substantially increase from this year's 50,000," he said.

According to a local tourism official, Chinese tourists spend an average of 3,750 baht (125 U.S. dollars) each in Chiang Mai per day.

Thats a pretty high average spend per day!!

I am not judging by what they spend on books. They are Chinese and do not have much choice in their language. However, what they spend in grocery stores and cheap guest houses does not compare with what Westerners were spending in luxury hotels. somewhat expensive restaurants, bars, shopping and so on before the financial difficulties started. It sounds more like middle class Thais on holiday (but give them a few years). There is no way that it is the "bestest high season ever".

Edited by Ulysses G.

As regarding Chiang Mai and the Western tourists, it must be taken into consideration the clamp downs on Western style social and nightlife, plus and this is probably the number one reason for the decline in Western tourism, the dramatic deceases in Western currencies to Thai bahts. For this reason it appears that the numbers of American, British, Australian, New Zealand and European tourists are well down due to the present exchange rates. Thailand has simply become too expensive for them, which is fully understandable. It does make sense that the budget guesthouses on the lower end of the spectrum will be more popular, as those holidaying here do have have the spending power that had in the past.

Just to point out Thai style social and nightlife is being even more oppressed in ChiangMai.

Thai bars now stop serving at 11pm, Santhitham and Chang Puak area has been devastated with many closed bars. There have been frequent mass police raids, quite scary if you are there at the time.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Just to point out Thai style social and nightlife is being even more oppressed in ChiangMai.

Thai bars now stop serving at 11pm, Santhitham and Chang Puak area has been devastated with many closed bars. There have been frequent mass police raids, quite scary if you are there at the time.

Yes, this should also be taken into consideration and certainly does not help the situation.

When I quoted: those holidaying here do have have the spending power that had in the past, I mean`t; those holidaying here do not have the spending power they had in the past,

Sorry, brain went out of sync for a moment.

Maybe you ought to start selling 2nd hand Chinese books UGwai2.gif

I am not judging by what they spend on books. They are Chinese and do not have much choice in their language. However, what they spend in grocery stores and cheap guest houses does not compare with what Westerners were spending in luxury hotels. somewhat expensive restaurants, bars, shopping and so on before the financial difficulties started. It sounds more like middle class Thais on holiday (but give them a few years). There is no way that it is the "bestest high season ever".

Maybe, but as far as I can tell, so far, they have no great interest in buying them and I don't think that anyone has offered to sell one. They mainly seem interested in looking at books that are forbidden in China, art books and picture books of Thailand.They are very polite and a pleasure to deal with, so I am not complaining about them. I just don't see that (at this moment in time) the tourist masses have the spending power to replace the affluent Westerners that used to flock here a few years ago. Edited by Ulysses G.

Maybe, but as far as I can tell, so far, they have no great interest in buying them and I don't think that anyone has offered to sell one. They mainly seem interested in looking at books that are forbidden in China, art books and picture books of Thailand.They are very polite and a pleasure to deal with, so I am not complaining about them. I just don't see that (at this moment in time) the tourist masses have the spending power to replace the affluent Westerners that used to flock here a few years ago.

Just want to give my input here. AS far as the Best year ever,,,,,,, forget it ..... just more of the govt sponsored and promoted little "White Lies", which the govt does..... the year may be a bit better than last year, but nothing like what it was a few years ago before the world wide economic crunch.

As to the frugality of the Chinese, I don't think you can classify Chinese as a group. This past week I had a Chinese couple who booked a room and spent just like every one else as far as food and extras. The very next day I had a group of Chinese , 12 persons booking 6 rooms for the night....... the total amount spent by the entire group, excluding the room charge....... 35 baht.

So it does take all kinds and being foresighted enough to be able to tell the spenders from the non-spenders would be a great gift.

No, my opinion, it definitely is not the bestest year ever.

G

• Like 1

A week ago, Mrs T read me a Thai newspaper story on Chinese tourists that indicated they spend heavily on items such a baby milk formula, toothpaste, shampoo and Jasmine Rice.

I don't think the baby milk formula will surprise anyone, considering how many babies died and were made very sick with the tainted stuff they produce.

I have to agree with you UG.

Bars are empty, Chinese don't seem to use them.

All I ever see them do is rent m/cs and drive around doing free stuff.

I wonder if the sudden influx of tourists explains why the boys in brown were out in force in parts of the city yesterday, targeting farangs on bikes and motor bikes,. As I walked past one group, I could hear a Chinese cyclist trying to explain something in English to one of the B.I.B., and another group (all with helmets) showing documents etc.

I'd have thought the locals speeding past without helmets would have been a greater priority, or have they given up on this altogether?

As a business owner, I'd have to agree with WTK, we've just had our best January in the 5 years I've been involved with my business. We've seen a definite increase in Asian tourists, particularly Chinese but don't forget, a lot of Chinese take their major holidays now as lots of stuff in China closes down between the 4th and 18th of Feb for "Spring Festival" holidays - Chinese New Year to you and me.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• Like 1

Hopefully a nice Chinese massage parlor district - to rival LKR - will pop up!laugh.png

Doubtful. Just hop on Air Asia to Hat Yai (890 THB) where your dream will come true.biggrin.png

Sounds good - but if I get blown up - I will report you to the mods.laugh.png

I doubt you'll get blown up. I don't consider Hat Yai dangerous one bit at all. O.K. there was a bombing there. There was also a bombing in Madrid, London, Oklahoma City, etc., etc. Would you never go to Madrid or London again?

• Like 2

With direct CNX flights now trom Taipei, Hong Kong and Singapore plus growing numbers of tourists from the PRC... there are certainly a variety of Chinese coming here and you cannot stereotype them just like you cannot stereotype all the farang tourists (some are backpackers, some are 5 star golf tourists, etc).

Last year the floods scared many tourists away (international media made it sound like the whole country was desparately under water).

Before that the political unrest scared many tourists away - particularly Asians and especially Chinese (the PRC was one of the first to issue travel warnings about Thaialnd and one of the last to withdraw them, so tourists from the mainland were nil then). Western tourists do not find political protests so threatening probably because they are used to them in their own countries.

And before that there was the international financial crisis which hit Korea hard (many people see Koreans and might think they are Chinese). Chiang Mai is very popular with Koreans and especially Korean golfers. The Chiang Mai golf courses are close to fully booked for the entire month of February and Koreans make up a signficant portion of the golfers.