Micro Sd Card Write Protected

candid

Seems I am more dumb than I thought. I bought a Kingston 4Gb micro SD card in Tukcom today. Long way home to find it is "write protected" and I have no idea how to solve my problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction (hopefully not all the way back to Tukcom)

Are you putting the micro card into an adapter to insert it into a PC?

If so, check the adapter to see if it has a toggle switch that says "Lock" or something along those lines.

If so, slide it to the opposite end and try again.

Yes, I am doing that. I tried the "lock" bothways before and again now, still the same problem

If so, check the adapter to see if it has a toggle switch that says "Lock" or something along those lines.

Yes, I am doing that. I tried the "lock" bothways before and again now, still the same problem

OK, so much for the easy solution...

Do you have another adapter, or a reader, or a device like a phone that you can try the microSD card in? It might be that the adapter that you are using doesn't agree with your card, or is defective...

OK, so much for the easy solution...

Do you have another adapter, or a reader, or a device like a phone that you can try the microSD card in? It might be that the adapter that you are using doesn't agree with your card, or is defective...

I tried another adaptor (another Kingston) with the same result. I then plugged the SD card into a card reader I had and just the same now also. The card reader has a power LED and a device LWD. As soon as I plug the micro SD card in, the power light goes out, so I think the card is defective. Thanks for all your help guys

Bit of a bind but I would suspect the SD card is faulty, Kingston is a well known brand and would expect good quality, but then Thailand is on the door step of China, so possibly it is a fake.

Just Google'd: SD Kingston Fake, and there does indeed seem to be a problem with counterfeits

http://fakememorysentinel.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/kingston-usb-flash-drives-how-to-check-you-have-a-genuine-one-and-not-a-counterfeit-easy-guide-kingston-technologies-fighting-to-protect-consumers-and-itself-from-counterfeits/

Edited by Basil B

Or it might be the wrong card reader.

Is it a micro SD or a micro SDHC ? You need to look at the card itself to see and I'd be surprised if it is a new SD card.

Some card readers will not read SDHC cards.. You can buy both types of readers these days and need to make sure the reader is compatible with the micro card.

go to "My Computer, right click on the SD drive, click properties, remove the check mark in the read only box....then reformat the card (optional step), problem solved.

Still not working, not even recognising the card now in the drive. Will need a new one, methinks

For these kind of cards, I would recommend BaNANAIT in Tukcom however they are a bit pricey but all the cards I have a bought there (very recently a 32 GB Micro SD HDC Class 10) are the genuine article.

Edited by MJCM