Keep The Change

mr.buffalo

Last night I asked a lady how to say " keep the change " in Thai. I usually write these little snippets down because after a few beers I forget, then until I have used them a few times I remember, hence writing them down. Obvious question, how do I say it?

Thanks.

ไม่เอาเงินทอน is not quite right actually. You can't say only ไม่เอาทอน which is not correct.

It means "(I) don't want the change" but it's more common to say ไม่ต้องทอน which means "(You) don't need to give me the change"

• Like 1

I usually say ไม่เอา(เงิน)ทอน

They understand me but is it correct to say like that?

sounds pretty incorrect..just say mai pen rai + a smile/nod + walking away would do...

ไม่เอา or ไม่รับ is what I sometimes hear.

Edited by alvin80

ไม่เอาเงินทอน is not quite right actually. You can't say only ไม่เอาทอน which is not correct.

It means "(I) don't want the change" but it's more common to say ไม่ต้องทอน which means "(You) don't need to give me the change"

How about ไม่ทอนเงินก็ได้?

Edited by leosmith

It literally means "Not change is OK", which is somewhat clipped to a Thai person laugh.png . Mole's phrase is the most common of all.

Really? Because I believe that's the exact phrase used in a Becker dialogue...

Sounds more colloquial to my ear, but I'm not Thai.

I'm pretty sure I remember the phrase from one of the 2 Becker Books was

ไม่ต้องทอนก็ได้

It literally means "Not change is OK", which is somewhat clipped to a Thai person laugh.png . Mole's phrase is the most common of all.

Really? Because I believe that's the exact phrase used in a Becker dialogue...

Sounds more colloquial to my ear, but I'm not Thai.

ไม่ต้องทอนก็ได้

Adding ก็ได้ to any remark is somewhat un-necessary, indeed it makes the rest of the sentence - and any suggestion in the sentence - sound rather lukewarm or unenthusiastic.

Examples :

ใครก็ได้ - anyone (will do)

อะไรก็ได้ - whatever you want, up to you

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone
  • Like 1

ไม่ต้องทอนก็ได้

Thanks - I stand corrected; page 39 of book2. I think this is a more common/more colloquial choice than ไม่ต้องทอนเงิน.

Adding ก็ได้ to any remark is somewhat un-necessary

I have to disagree with this. Is any grammar unnecessary? The ก็ได้ softens this sentence. Just curious - would you say that ครับ is somewhat un-necessary?

Edited by leosmith

ไม่ต้องทอนก็ได้

Thanks - I stand corrected; page 39 of book2. I think this is a more common/more colloquial choice than ไม่ต้องทอนเงิน.

Adding ก็ได้ to any remark is somewhat un-necessary

I have to disagree with this. Is any grammar unnecessary? The ก็ได้ softens this sentence. Just curious - would you say that ครับ is somewhat un-necessary?

You are confusing Grammar with Vocabulary or word usage.

Adding ก็ได้ to the end of this sentence in no way "softens" it - it quite significantly changes the meaning; from a direct invitation / instruction to "keep the change" to an indifferent "keep the change if you want to".

Adding rather random words to a sentence is unnecessary - adding a polite particle to the end of a sentence is not.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone