Crime In Chiang Mai

pwllgrgn

Hello

I am wondering if there is a big problem with crime in CM,been looking at a forum for Udon Thani and it seems that burglary and robbery are everyday occurances. Everyone there seems to be putting bars on windows and doors and deadbolts everywhere. I am leaving UK to escape all this.

Is it the same in CM?

Mostly crime by stealth, I'd say. Plus, the crime of romance here.... :o

It's clearly different than San Francisco, where physical crime is more popular than being a burglar or some other kind of thief.

Personally, I have taken normal security precautions, including bars on my window.. That's just the norm here, pretty much everywhere. I don't think I'd feel unsafe without them :D

I do feel completely safe everywhere I've been in this country, from riding a bike alone along a lonely road on the Burmese border, to Patpong. I've never been to Pattaya, but Chiang Mai is definitely safer, from reports. :D

Just use common sense and pay attention. That's my great advice. :D

Mostly crime by stealth, I'd say. Plus, the crime of romance here.... :o

It's clearly different than San Francisco, where physical crime is more popular than being a burglar or some other kind of thief.

Personally, I have taken normal security precautions, including bars on my window.. That's just the norm here, pretty much everywhere. I don't think I'd feel unsafe without them :D

I do feel completely safe everywhere I've been in this country, from riding a bike alone along a lonely road on the Burmese border, to Patpong. I've never been to Pattaya, but Chiang Mai is definitely safer, from reports. :D

Just use common sense and pay attention. That's my great advice. :D

I don't think that the crime of romance will be of any bother to me, I am a happily married woman. I have been a frequent visitor to Thailand over the last 15 years and I have always felt safe. I was thinking that there was a crimewave going on in Udon Thani with some of the threads on the forum :D

Edited by pwllgrgn

No crime wave up here, as Ajarn says, just take sensible precautions.

I have freind who NEVER locks his doors, even a night, sometimes leaves the doors open! Ben doing that for 7 years.

I would not subscribe to that personally.

On my Moo Bann I heard that one house had their TV stolen. Having said that the robbers went to great lengths to get in... and the house is ALWAYS unocupied.

The night security guard lost his job, and the gates are now locked earlier and patrols more frequent. They DO take security seriously on many Moo Banns, thats why it is pretty safe to live in one....

Far safer than anywhere in Europe or the States IMHO

Wouldn't worry about house crime here in CM. You don't need bars on your windows either as long as you take all the mormal precautions as you would at home.

Friends tell me some robberies in condos though, they usually get in through unlocked doors/windows off the balcony!

It is certainly nowhere even close to house crime levels in the UK.

One should be a bit careful, though, carying a bag after all shops have closed in central CM. Last year, excactly 3 tourists were ripped off their bags between 23.00 and 24.00 within a distance of 50 m from our place - located at a street within the moats, deserted after 22.30 except for (more or less) lonely walkers on their way to their guesthouse.

However, I often walk the same neighborhood alone after midnight and nothing has ever happened to me. But I never carry anything but at most a plasticbag after shop-closing time.