Digital Tv - Wait Or Buy Now

Saan

I want a new TV. Should I buy an analalogue set now and a set top box later or can I buy a digital set now? Is the set top box any less good than the inset device?

Also where should I go for the best deal? Any recommendations as to a brand?

All help appreciated.

All the modern flatscreen TVs on sale now are ready for digital broadcasts, so go ahead and buy now. You'll only need a set-top box for really ancient analogue sets, sadly that includes most of the poorest members of society

Analogue or digital, no idea, but catmac is probably right about the flatscreen. However, your main concern would be, is it worth having a TV at all, considering the quality of the broadcastings nowadays. sad.png

TrueVisions are broadcasting in digital, as far as I know and it's working fine with my el cheapo Chineese flatscreen. smile.png

Edited by Semper

All the modern flatscreen TVs on sale now are ready for digital broadcasts, so go ahead and buy now. You'll only need a set-top box for really ancient analogue sets, sadly that includes most of the poorest members of society

Thanks for that info.

I think the poor are to be looked after on this occasion as the government is planning on providing vouchers for set top boxes.

I think you are wrong.. recently I was looking for a new TV and only once saw a ( french ) LCD TV in Big C with the DVB-T logo on it.

also the digital transmisions have only just started testing in Bangkok.

I think you are wrong.. recently I was looking for a new TV and only once saw a ( french ) LCD TV in Big C with the DVB-T logo on it.

also the digital transmisions have only just started testing in Bangkok.

Can't comment on the French TV (who on Earth would buy a TV from France when you have a wonderful selection from Japan and S. Korea to choose from?)

I can only speak from my own experience of LG flatscreens. All of them are digital ready and the last 2 are even HD ready although HD is somewhere in the distant future. Great for anyone with True though.

Catmac,

How on earth the French name branded TV got into Big C is anyone's guess..Its not there now so I suppose they sold it.

The point I'm trying to make is that ( 99.99%) TV's sold here ( as far as I know and have seen ) do not have a digital tuner built into them,

so they will not be able to receive the digital terrestrial transmissions. ( when they start )

Yes they can display a "digital" picture from a True satellite box because the box is receiving and the TV is displaying

I bought a LG PA4500-TF there is no DVB logo on it.

post-2109-0-78206100-1361531242_thumb.pn

and fully expect that I'll have to buy a set top box to receive the digital terrestrial transmissions.