Pollution In Pattaya

KelCastro

Does the pollution in Pattaya seem worse to anyone else this year? Every time I go out I feel like I’m suffocating on fumes, pollution, smoke and god knows what else.

I’ve been using those normal disposable masks to help a little while I drive, but I’ve seen people with those cloth versions. They can just be washed and reused, and since they’re thicker I’m thinking they may be better? Does anyone know where I can get these? Or does anyone have any other ideas for a highly pollution-sensitive person living in Pattaya other than (1) staying inside all day or (2) moving.

Thanks

Pattaya-Jomtien is really getting worse in terms of air pollution. It is a combination of increased traffic (horrible and way outdated internal combustion engines), massive construction and associated particles, and burning fields (smoke drifts here from far away). I do not know what you can do except to move to a place with clean air. That place would not be Bangkok, which is about 10000000000 times worse! I wish I had better advice, but it is not practical to walk around with masks. I find it curious that humans are not totally alarmed about what we are doing to the atmosphere. But, that is me...........

• Like 1

Yes - This air is out to get you. But not 109 worse than Bangkok. Major increase in polluting tour buses and all the second hand cigarette smoke from the Russians and the other 80%. One major factor is the air movements from North to South this time of year.Thats bad air from the land masses to the North. Anyway where im from we call it smog.

Edited by morrobay

Yes - This air is out to get you. But not 109 worse than Bangkok. Major increase in polluting tour buses and all the second hand cigarette smoke from the Russians and the other 80%. One major factor is the air movements from North to South this time of year.Thats bad air from the land masses to the North. Anyway where im from we call it smog.

Actually, I said Bangkok is much worse. I am curious about whether the OP is from a place with very clean air. I am also curious as to whether the OP smokes. Some people seem more sensitive to air pollution than others. My theory is that the people who are more sensitive are from places w/ very clean air, and that they do not smoke cigarettes. I can't live in Bangkok because of the horrible air pollution. Pattaya-Jomtien is better, IMHO, mainly due to its proximity to the ocean and increased wind, which seems to blow some of the pollution to the east. Still, many people do find the air polluted here too and FEEL IT in their lungs.

Many of my neighbors have decided that this is the season to burn leaves, garden litter, sundry household rubbish and even plastics. They do this almost weekly. I told one of them to stand back from the fumes from burning plastic bags and she asked me why. She really had no idea. I suspect governments here have not educated the general public on the hazards of open burning, as it suits them if households burn their own rubbish so no one would demand a decent thrash collection service. Ahhhhh, the beauty of a poorly educated electorate.

Edited by doggie888888

Actually, I said Bangkok is much worse. I am curious about whether the OP is from a place with very clean air. I am also curious as to whether the OP smokes. Some people seem more sensitive to air pollution than others. My theory is that the people who are more sensitive are from places w/ very clean air, and that they do not smoke cigarettes. I can't live in Bangkok because of the horrible air pollution. Pattaya-Jomtien is better, IMHO, mainly due to its proximity to the ocean and increased wind, which seems to blow some of the pollution to the east. Still, many people do find the air polluted here too and FEEL IT in their lungs.

Right - I know you were saying Bangkok is worse.And I meant to say that Bangkok is not 10 x 10^9 times worse. It depends on which way the wind is blowing. Also some people become sensitized to pollution, or cigarette smoke, where even a small amount is a problem. But from the looks of so many locals and foreigners wearing masks now- the pollution is most definetly worse.

Edited by morrobay

i bought my mask at Home Pro (Big C Extra) for 80 baht and use it in rush hours only - it supposed to be for craftsman workers but as it is thicker i assume it filters most of the traffic pollution.

i bought my mask at Home Pro (Big C Extra) for 80 baht and use it in rush hours only - it supposed to be for craftsman workers but as it is thicker i assume it filters most of the traffic pollution.

I see so many people walking around using these paper dust masks with the mistaken belief that it gives them protection from fumes.

From a major city larger than Bangkok with significant air pollution, but certainly less dirt and no one burning trash at the stoop of their homes. I’ve never lived in a “clean air” city, but I have always had a sensitivity to cigarette smoke. Nothing that a little fresh air away from it wouldn’t cure however. I’ve had what doctors diagnosed as “rhinitis” since September and nothing (medication, nasal sprays, A/C air, ‘fresh air’, etc.) seems to help, so my nose is always congested. I’m convinced the air has changed because I don’t know what else could have caused this... especially for this long.

warning "MAP TA PHUT" city is sending pollution to pattaya. located a mere 37 kilometers from pattaya map ta phut is the number one toxic hundreds of times over the legal limits number one industrial site in south east asia located 37 kilometers direct line from pattaya near sattahip or 160 degrees south from here. also the cars here are using the illegal in europe "russian d2 gasoline" which is hundreds of time over the lead limits in our countries. see below links on the " INDUSTRIAL CITY CALL MAP TA PHUT"

bangkok government report states that

the department said the quality of air in Bangkok is little different from that of the Map Ta Phut industrial estate, a scary indictment if ever there was one.

youtube video aljazeera toxic thailand about map ta phut

https://thaiecoalert.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/ignorance_is_toxic.pdf

http://www.google.co.th/gwt/x?wsc=hg&wsi=23bc280462ac0864&source=m&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgcmonitor.org/article.php%3Fid%3D936&ei=ZECgT9auH4ukiAeL8tWSBg

http://www.google.co.th/gwt/x?wsc=hg&wsi=23bc280462ac0864&source=m&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgcmonitor.org/article.php%3Fid%3D520&ei=zz6gT5vPMui0iQf80sycAw

http://www.google.co.th/m?q=air+pattaya+toxic+map+ta+phut

http://www.google.co.th/gwt/x?q=air+pattaya+toxic+map+ta+phut&ei=ejygT7i6HoG3rAfhXA&ved=0CB4QFjAI&hl=en&source=m&rd=1&u=http://www.blogs.1stoppattaya.com/2009/12/20/pattaya-fog-causes-alarm/

http://www.google.co.th/gwt/x?source=m&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gcmonitor.org/thailand_meeting_agenda.html&wsi=23bc280462ac0864&ei=aj6gT67FBcyiiAeFs7maAw&wsc=hg

click here for current wind directions

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=THXX0015

1 degree is north

90 degree is east

180 is south

270 is west etc

and map to chart the location of pattaya in relation to map ta phut

http://www.hemaraj.com/image/map_estates%28enlarge%29.jpg

Air pollution: For more than 10 years, Map Ta Phut residents have
suffered from various forms of pollution, especially air pollution
caused by volatile organic compounds. Over 200 smoke and flare stacks
in MTP IE have been emitting voluminous amount of pollutants into the
air and spreading them to neighbouring communities. A number of
studies have indicated links between exposure of residents to
pollutants such as benzene, styrene and xylene and the increase in
diseases related to the respiratory system, nervous system,
reproductive system, muscle system, and mental disorder.[4]
The pollution hazards for Map Ta Phut Panphittayakarn School were
brought to public attention in 1997. Around 1,000 pupils and teachers
suffered from illnesses after inhaling toxic emissions and had to be
hospitalized for breathing difficulties, headaches, nasal irritation
and nausea. In 2005, the Ministry of Education approved the school’s
relocation to a site five kilometers away from the original
compound.[5] Since then, the area has been recognized nationwide as
the most obvious and serious case of undesirable impacts from
unsustainable industrialization.[6] A test carried out in 2005 by
US-based Global Community Monitor (GCM) demonstrated that airborne
cancerous toxic chemicals such as benzene, vinyl chloride and
chloroform released by Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate exceeded safety
standards of developed nations by 60 to 3,000 times.
2. Water pollution: Now every household in Mab Ta Phut and the
Rayong’s Muang district has to buy water for consumption because of no
longer being able to use water from their ponds. The ponds and lakes
are contaminated with toxic chemicals due to the dumping of toxic
waste, which the rainwater flushed into the rivers and then the sea
The Rayong public health office reports that the ratio of birth
deformities, disabilities and chromosome abnormalities drastically
increased from 1997 to 2001, from 48.2 per 100,000 people to 163.8
people, an increase of 300%

post-85112-0-06669800-1361606263_thumb.jpost-85112-0-01815300-1361606276_thumb.jpost-85112-0-86456800-1361606300_thumb.j

post-85112-0-34653400-1361605615_thumb.j

Edited by Rimmer
Please DO NOT post in oversize and coloured fonts
  • Like 1

I agree.

Pollution is so bad.

I now wear when I'm outside a protective suit to save me from the environment.

You may have seen me lurking.

attachicon.gifp28.jpg

Tell the truth. I have seen men put that suit on before they enter message parlors. :) It has nothing to do with air pollution.

Interesting stuff about Mataphut. I had never been there, but visited the beach there about one month ago. There were only a few condos. The odd thing was that I did not see people. It was like a ghost town. Now I think I know why.

Also interesting about the OPs comment about nose congestion. I had that when I lived in Bangkok, but it went away after moving to Jomtien (took one month to go away). I am certain it was related to air pollution. But don't misunderstand me. The air pollution is Bangkok is horrible. The air seems better in Pattaya-Jomtien, BUT it is getting worse, for all the reasons previously discussed. My guess is that there are certain places in Pattaya-Jomtien where the level of air pollution is high (probably away from the beach). Also, when the pollution from Rayong reaches us from time to time, even though we can't see it, it no doubt is impacting us. Given the distance from Rayong, the particles are certainly dispersed. I would be more concerned if I lived in Rayong. Don't get me started, but I do think Pattaya-Jomtien is rapidly being ruined from overdevelopment. I do not want it to become like a small version of Bangkok.

From a major city larger than Bangkok with significant air pollution, but certainly less dirt and no one burning trash at the stoop of their homes. I’ve never lived in a “clean air” city, but I have always had a sensitivity to cigarette smoke. Nothing that a little fresh air away from it wouldn’t cure however. I’ve had what doctors diagnosed as “rhinitis” since September and nothing (medication, nasal sprays, A/C air, ‘fresh air’, etc.) seems to help, so my nose is always congested. I’m convinced the air has changed because I don’t know what else could have caused this... especially for this long.

same problem for me and in February and march I take Clarityne tablets one in morning and feel realy better but be carefull No beer or alcool with this medical

same problem for me and in February and march I take Clarityne tablets one in morning and feel realy better but be carefull No beer or alcool with this medical

Why not? I have used Clarityne and had no side effects whit alcohol, some people can get dizzy when mixed whit alcohol, but that is rare.