Thailand Does The ' Harlem Shake'

webfact

DANCE CRAZE
Thailand does the 'Harlem Shake'
The Nation

Can "Harlem Shake" beat "Gangnam Style"?

BANGKOK: -- In just under one month, the latest viral dance craze sweeping the Internet has become a global
newsjsphenomenon. Even in Thailand, there are more than 1,000 versions on YouTube, where a search for "Harlem Shake" turned up more than 100,000 videos - 1,100 of them from Thailand.

Among them is the US Embassy Bangkok, which made a "Harlem Shake" video in observance of this week's Social Media Week. The video features embassy staff in costumes of iconic American characters. Posted to YouTube on Monday and shared on US Ambassador Kristie Kenney's Facebook page, as well as the embassy’s official Facebook page and Twitter account, it's been viewed up to 28,400 times.

Others doing the "Harlem Shake" include the Manchester City football club - the first Premier League team to join the craze. Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt and supermodels at London Fashion Week have also made videos, prompting more than 40,000 imitators to record their own takes and getting more than 175 million views worldwide.

The Sunny Coast Skate, a collective of five teenagers in Australia, posted the original "Harlem Shake" dance video to YouTube on February 2. They danced to the 2012 song by of the same name by Baauer, an electronic musician from New York. The video has since been viewed more than 14.1 million times.

The dance itself is a simple two-step move with a shoulder shake that adds pelvic thrusts and flailing about. As with the original clip, virtually all participants in the copycat videos dress in outlandish costumes.

The previous dance craze, "Gangnam Style" by South Korean rapper Psy, began in July 2012. The original music video is YouTube's most-watched clip, with more than 1.3 billion views. A search for other "Gangnam Style" videos on YouTube turns up around 675,000 clips - 4,800 from Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-22

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Makes one ashamed to be a farang, perhaps there should be a special Thai ministry, entrusted with stamping this sort of thing out, before it rots the brains of the nation's kids, or is it already too late ? w00t.gif

Unless you are an American you can hold your head high. Just put your hands in the air and say "Hey don't look at me this is an American thing"

It originated in Harlem America in 1981 blame the yanks for destroying Thai Culture and not the rest of the farangs.thumbsup.gif

Makes one ashamed to be a farang, perhaps there should be a special Thai ministry, entrusted with stamping this sort of thing out, before it rots the brains of the nation's kids, or is it already too late ? w00t.gif

Unless you are an American you can hold your head high. Just put your hands in the air and say "Hey don't look at me this is an American thing"

It originated in Harlem America in 1981 blame the yanks for destroying Thai Culture and not the rest of the farangs.thumbsup.gif

They seem to be doing a fine job of that themselves without our help.

• Like 2

They seem to be doing a fine job of that themselves without our help.

Yes I know but couldn't resist a little soft harmless American bashing.wink.png

No, you need to check the other Harlem Shake entry for wiki. The 1981 entry is a completely different dance and is unconnected to the current fad. The OP Harlem Shake is much more recent and originated in..... :whistling:

The Harlem Shake is an Internet meme that went viral on YouTube in early February 2013. The meme is in the form of a video that began being replicated according to a similar concept by many people.

The art form of the meme was established in a video uploaded on February 2 by The Sunny Coast Skate, five teenagers from Queensland, Australia

• Like 1

No, you need to check the other Harlem Shake entry for wiki. The 1981 entry is a completely different dance and is unconnected to the current fad. The OP Harlem Shake is much more recent and originated in..... whistling.gif

The Harlem Shake is an Internet meme that went viral on YouTube in early February 2013. The meme is in the form of a video that began being replicated according to a similar concept by many people.

The art form of the meme was established in a video uploaded on February 2 by The Sunny Coast Skate, five teenagers from Queensland, Australia

Oh well then I stand duely roggered with a ten foot pole. Give me a hand with this rock will I need to get under it.tongue.png

Us Aussies are pretty creative tho don't you thinkthumbsup.gif

O.K I'm gone.

Americans are farangs, but so am I, and my own particular sub-set gave the World the Birdy-Dance, Lambeth-Walk and Hokey-Cokey ! laugh.png

Whereas morris-dancing is of course totally-different innit ! whistling.gif

Edited by Ricardo

Meanwhile, Huay Kwang District Chief Chumphon Chaokoh launched a campaign urging Bangkokians to vote by shooting a video clip of him and his civil service staff dancing the Harlem Shake at a market in front of the Bangkok’s MCOT Modernine TV, Thai News Agency and MCOT Online News headquarters

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621010-thailand-live-friday-22-feb-2013/

post-122647-0-13231500-1361505589_thumb.

All Americans now form a line and bare their buttocks so Chooka can kiss their rosy, red ass cheesy.gif

pass me the lip balm
Of the said 2 square metre average american ass....where should he kiss ?

Good one. Your are closer than you think. Last year went to see my kids and grandkids. I couldn't believe how fat the people have become in one year. I went to WalMarts and it was unbelievable.

• Like 1

All Americans now form a line and bare their buttocks so Chooka can kiss their rosy, red ass cheesy.gif

pass me the lip balm
Good one. Your are closer than you think. Last year went to see my kids and grandkids. I couldn't believe how fat the people have become in one year. I went to WalMarts and it was unbelievable.
Wall to wall arts ?

All Americans now form a line and bare their buttocks so Chooka can kiss their rosy, red ass :cheesy:

pass me the lip balm

Oz is the same. I call it the McDonalds arse. Don't forget the muffin look either. Tight pants with everything spilling out over the top :-)

Quotes again.

Oz is the same. I call it the McDonalds arse. Don't forget the muffin look either. Tight pants with everything spilling out over the top :-)

You mean like this?

plumber.jpg

• Like 1

No, you need to check the other Harlem Shake entry for wiki. The 1981 entry is a completely different dance and is unconnected to the current fad. The OP Harlem Shake is much more recent and originated in..... whistling.gif

Oh well then I stand duely roggered with a ten foot pole. Give me a hand with this rock will I need to get under it.tongue.png

Us Aussies are pretty creative tho don't you think:thumbsup:

O.K I'm gone.

Hahaha good to see you man up, and let the Yanks off the hook... :-) Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1