Kindle

oldgent

I wouldn't buy a kindle for the activities you suggest. You can't download movies readily, and really, it's for books.

I'm sure other members will have ideas on what to get for games and cartoons.

• Like 1

OP: I suppose what you're looking for is a Kindle Fire model. Note that tv shows may not be available for rent via Amazon in Thailand.

Amazon does not ship the Kindle Fire to Thailand, otherwise it's best to buy direct from them. Check weather that's changed before you buy locally.

Locally, you can try one of these places:

http://ereaderthailand.lnwshop.com/

or

http://kindle-thailand.in.th/kindle-store/#ecwid:category=1580346&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

T

The Kindle Fire isn't particularly good at anything, but it's cheap.

I wouldn't buy a tablet without GPS.

Nexus or Galaxy Tab seems easier and better value for money in Thailand.

Galaxy Tab wi-fi 7" about 8,000bht

TommoPhysicist -

Have you seen the brand new KindleFire HD 8.9 ? Read the reviews? $299 in USA.

This is not your grandmother's Kindle Reader - it's the real deal!

Check it out.

The Kindle Fire isn't particularly good at anything, but it's cheap.

I wouldn't buy a tablet without GPS.

Nexus or Galaxy Tab seems easier and better value for money in Thailand.

Galaxy Tab wi-fi 7" about 8,000bht

I would also recommend the Nexus 7

I have my iPad for multiple uses - including GPS - but we have a Kindle Fire HD as well and it's a great device for games, books, and videos (screens a bit small for that but the kids don't mind and it's enough for checking out a youtube vid etc): the the pictures brilliant, it's fast enough and if you got a wi-Fi connection surfing the net etc is a breeze. It's got some good features, and there's loads of very good free or cheap apps.

Plus it's really easy to side load content if, hypothetically speaking, someone (not me of course) had downloaded books and movies they wanted to put on it.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I have my iPad for multiple uses - including GPS - but we have a Kindle Fire HD as well and it's a great device for games, books, and videos (screens a bit small for that but the kids don't mind and it's enough for checking out a youtube vid etc): the the pictures brilliant, it's fast enough and if you got a wi-Fi connection surfing the net etc is a breeze. It's got some good features, and there's loads of very good free or cheap apps.

Plus it's really easy to side load content if, hypothetically speaking, someone (not me of course) had downloaded books and movies they wanted to put on it.

SteeleJoe,

Is your Kindle Fire HD the 7-inch or 8.9-inch screen? Any problem downloading movies or music from Amazon site from Chiang Mai?

I note that you are also using an iPad. Which one? Which do you like better?

SteeleJoe,

Is your Kindle Fire HD the 7-inch or 8.9-inch screen? Any problem downloading movies or music from Amazon site from Chiang Mai?

I note that you are also using an iPad. Which one? Which do you like better?

I think what I've got is the next to last model of Kindle (7" I guess) rather than the latest one. I've never bought any movies or music from Amazon (already have thousands of books, movies and songs and I side-loaded some of them) I have bought books and while I do know that some things like Netflix and such US streaming deals aren't available here but I would think buying movies or music would be the same as buying books.

My iPad is the 3rd generation iPad (aka "iPad 3"), 4G with 64 gigabytes of memory. I deliberately got the top of the line (I'm not loaded with money but decided to go all in on this device and much to my chagrin only months later they came out with the iPad 4.

I like them both very much though I admit once I got the iPad, my love for the Kindle faded a bit: the iPad is more versatile, more features, more apps (including a great Kindle app that allows me to buy books from Amazon and read them on both devices but only pay once) and with 3G I have Internet almost anywhere (and I can create a hotspot for the kindle so if the kids are using that, they have Internet on the go as well). But the Kindle is a nice size and in my opinion an excellent all around device for the price.

Just buy them a few books and a football....

That's actually a very good idea.

On the other hand, on the Kindle my kids have dozens of the very best books (most of which I got for free), accredited learning games, apps for songwriting and music reading, and educational websites. (And a specific limit to how much time they are allowed to spend on the device - or TV or computer) per day.

And they also have a football.

Edited by SteeleJoe

On the other hand, on the Kindle my kids have dozens of the very best books (most of which I got for free), accredited learning games, apps for songwriting and music reading, and educational websites. (And a specific limit to how much time they are allowed to spend on the device - or TV or computer) per day.

I presume you are refering to the Kindle Fire which is a tablet not aq standard e-reader

I presume you are refering to the Kindle Fire which is a tablet not aq standard e-reader

Keep up Harrry! :)

The OP asks about the Fire (or so it was assumed earlier in the thread, based on what he wants) and I made two posts previous to the last saying I had a Fire...yes, it's a tablet.

Edited by SteeleJoe