webfact

ANALYSIS
Sukhumbhand spars, while Pongsapat dances away from policy debates
Kornchanok Raksaseri,
Somroutai Sapsomboon,
Jintana Panyaarvudh
The Nation

30200745-01_big.jpg

Pheu Thai candidate opts for low-risk approach as Democrats throw heavy punches in run-up to Sunday's poll

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok governor's election has taken the style of a boxing match, with Pheu Thai Party's Pol General Pongsapat dancing just out of range as Democrat Sukhumbhand Paribatra stands in the centre of the ring demanding that they exchange punches.

In the final run up to the ballot on Sunday, the Democrats certainly seem to be throwing some "heavy punches" at their arch rival, reminding Bangkokians about the "burning of the city" during the political crisis in 2010. This is despite several warnings that this strategy might backfire. The other strategy being used by the Democrats is reminding voters that if Pongsapat is elected the entire country will be ruled by one party - Pheu Thai.

"Bangkokians should not forget about the city going up in flames. If their [Pheu Thai's] candidate wins, they will laugh and say Bangkokians forget easily. They will take the capital hostage and turn it into a battlefield once again," Korn Chatikavanij, the Democrat Party's deputy leader who is in charge of Bangkok, said at a rally on Saturday.

The Democrats have been desperately putting all their bets on the table, sometimes even asking voters to not go for independent candidates.

"Please vote for us even if you don't like Sukhumbhand," Jurin Laksanawisit, one of the Democrat deputy leaders, was heard saying.

However, Pongsapat seems to be at an advantage because not only he is a new product that some voters want to try, he does not have the stigma of being a veteran politician either.

Pheu Thai's campaign strategy for Pongsapat seems to be the same as the one they had for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra in the 2011 general elections - no confrontation, no counterattacks or rebuttals.

During the final period, Pongsapat will focus on door-to-door personal campaigns without joining any debates, Pheu Thai sources said.

On the other hand, Sukhumbhand - like other Democrats - always joins debates and uses different kinds of rhetoric. He has even used slang in his speech and shown a rare aggressiveness, which might win him backing from some hardcore supporters.

Pongsapat, on the other hand, has hung on to his "good guy" image and voters are paying him more attention despite his "too good to be true" policies. In fact, even Pheu Thai Party's de facto leader Thaksin Shinawatra has been laying low to avoid stirring bad feelings.

A Bang Khen resident, who usually votes Democrat and asked not to be named, said he was wondering whether to go for Pongsapat or independent candidate Suharit Siamwalla.

"The Democrat Party is insulting Bangkokians. It would have easily won if it fielded Korn, but it didn't. The party's executives were not strong enough to pick a suitable candidate. Instead, they chose an elite, a senior member who has done little to prove his competency," he said, adding it did not really matter because both parties were equally bad and were using populist polices to woo voters while ignoring the simple needs of Bangkok residents.

"I have spoken to many friends about what Bangkok needs and though it may not be very interesting, but most of us want a clean city with a good environment. Of course, we want traffic problems to be solved too. We don't really need free stuff," he said.

A Bang Khunthien resident, who does not support any particular party, said she would go for Sukhumbhand because she does not want Pheu Thai to monopolise the country. "Maybe a Democrat governor will help control corruption when the national ruling party is Pheu Thai. I don't know if it will actually work," she said. "But I really want to ask Sukhumbhand what he has done to solve traffic problems. Things have not changed at all over the past four years."

Apart from the governor candidate, the Democrat Party seems likely to hold the most political seats in the capital - it holds 46 out of 61 seats in the Bangkok Council and 289 out of 361 seats in the district councils.

In the 2011, Democrats won 23 seats in Parliament and the popularity of the two parties in Bangkok was not that different because the Democrats only won 68,161 more party-list votes than Pheu Thai.

Meanwhile, previous Democrat candidates for Bangkok elections won about 800,000 to 900,000 votes, while Pheu Thai's candidates got 500,000 to 600,000.

This year both parties, especially the Democrats, believe that the bigger the turnout the better advantage they will both have. However, some opinion surveys show that people who might choose not to vote would mostly be Democrat supporters.

Pheu Thai's election director Phumtham Wechayachai told a newspaper that a bigger turnout would show more residents want to see a change in Bangkok, which may add legitimacy to the election result.

In recent years, only about 50 per cent of eligible voters seem to be coming out to vote. The highest turnout was in 2004 when 62 per cent of eligible voters showed up.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-26

Unsurprising that Pongsapat maintains the policy of his fellow university alumni and fellow policeman Thaksin, as well as his current campaigning mentor, Yingluck...... of never debating. :ermm:<_<

and then his staff get upset when a fake Furby is put in his place for his no-show at a previously scheduled debate,

:rolleyes:

It will be a psychological blow for Dems, and even if they pip Pongsapat to the post, they've still lost ground, but there again if most the councillors are still dems they can just thwart Pongsapat at every turn, just like the PT govt has done to Sukhumband. I can only imagine how a victory for PT will go to Thaksin's head, so hopefully they don't win on that account. I find it difficult to describe a police man as 'good guy' and it's a pity that we have so little faith in seasoned politicians that we would rather favour a rookie.

I'm guessing that despite what the polls say, it will still be very close.

• Like 1

The article provided an interesting analysis.

And yet, the comments are the same old mantra of PTP bad, the bogeyman is coming blah blah.

After the PM's party won its decisive victory, the sky that was supposed to fall as promised by TVF's frothers, did not fall.

PM Yingluck's time in office has been rather steady. Perhaps the voters of Bangkok will move towards stability and look to more political calm.

I anticipate that there will be a lot of soiled undies the day the results are announced.

• Like 2

And yet, the comments are the same old mantra of PTP bad, the bogeyman is coming blah blah.

After the PM's party won its decisive victory, the sky that was supposed to fall as promised by TVF's frothers, did not fall.

PM Yingluck's time in office has been rather steady. Perhaps the voters of Bangkok will move towards stability and look to more political calm.

I anticipate that there will be a lot of soiled undies the day the results are announced.

It's true the PM's time in office has been relatively trouble free but then it helps having the red shirt awkward squad on your side and not against you.

Yep, no debate necessary, we (should) all know that for any Pheu Thai candidate there is the big thinker abroad who makes the party act. With the Pheu Thai party having formed the government and with a majority in it, one can imagine what the outcome is. No need for debate, just vote for me and shut up.

Well, if you have been reading some of your fellow compatriots in your struggle against their imagined enemy(s), you would recall they yearn for another military coup and dictatorship. I should think that as you never say a negative word at that prospect, that you would fancy such a prospect. You might even feel right at home, with a touch of olde Suriname. thumbsup.gif

It's true the PM's time in office has been relatively trouble free but then it helps having the red shirt awkward squad on your side and not against you.

Correct and especially if they can keep this nut case Esaan Rambo quite.

Edited by metisdead
: Reply repaired.

Brown is the new red or yellow ? rolleyes.gif

Wow, you really have your finger on the pulse of Asia!!!!!!!!! You know your market. thumbsup.gif

Tokyo, Japan – July 30, 2012

BASF has announced its global and Asia Pacific color trends forecast for the coming two to three years. The theme of the latest color trend forecast, “Wide Awake,” indicates that people are fully alert to the challenges of the future. Another key concept of “Wide Awake” expresses the energy and passion of people to move forward by accepting reality and changing their way of thinking. Natural disasters and a market slowdown due to global economic uncertainties have given people in Asia Pacific an opportunity to pause and think about what is truly important to them. People are finding comfort in the scents of their homeland and are focusing on colors and designs that project the unique qualities of their cultures and nations. There will be an emergence of refined, rich colors with a wide range of red, gold-based colors, as well as colors of nature, such as brown and olive.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Brown is the new red or yellow ? rolleyes.gif

Wow, you really have your finger on the pulse of Asia!!!!!!!!! You know your market. thumbsup.gif

Tokyo, Japan – July 30, 2012

BASF has announced its global and Asia Pacific color trends forecast for the coming two to three years. The theme of the latest color trend forecast, “Wide Awake,” indicates that people are fully alert to the challenges of the future. Another key concept of “Wide Awake” expresses the energy and passion of people to move forward by accepting reality and changing their way of thinking. Natural disasters and a market slowdown due to global economic uncertainties have given people in Asia Pacific an opportunity to pause and think about what is truly important to them. People are finding comfort in the scents of their homeland and are focusing on colors and designs that project the unique qualities of their cultures and nations. There will be an emergence of refined, rich colors with a wide range of red, gold-based colors, as well as colors of nature, such as brown and olive.

My hand's up ... just a lucky guess ! wai2.gif

But 'Amazing Thailand' is certainly challenging, every 1st April ! biggrin.png

Yep, no debate necessary, we (should) all know that for any Pheu Thai candidate there is the big thinker abroad who makes the party act. With the Pheu Thai party having formed the government and with a majority in it, one can imagine what the outcome is. No need for debate, just vote for me and shut up.

Well, if you have been reading some of your fellow compatriots in your struggle against their imagined enemy(s), you would recall they yearn for another military coup and dictatorship. I should think that as you never say a negative word at that prospect, that you would fancy such a prospect. You might even feel right at home, with a touch of olde Suriname. thumbsup.gif

My dear gKid, you start to ramble off a bit I think.

Nowhere in my post you quote do I refer to other posters, neither I'm a responsible for what they write, not even for yourswink.png

What Surinam has to do with this topic is totally unclear to me. Unless you want to stress that coupleader Desi Bouterse has a trial waiting regarding a.o. the 'December murders'. The Dutch did sentence the current president of Surinam in 2000, to eleven years imprisonment for drugs trafficking. Europol has issued an arrest warrent, but Mr. Bouterse's Presidential status seems to give him immunity for the moment.

Maybe this last is why you referred to Surinam. PM Yingluck haven risen to fame on the tailcoat of her older brother, the fugitive criminal who also really seems to like to discourage debates.

Still the topic is "Sukhumbhand spars, while Pongsapat dances away". To repeat "just vote for me and shut up" sad.png

PS Apart from not explicitly condemning the 2006 coup I also did not condemn an awfull lot of other things which happened. Still studying the Nok Air calendar to make up my mind on that rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

Yep, no debate necessary, we (should) all know that for any Pheu Thai candidate there is the big thinker abroad who makes the party act. With the Pheu Thai party having formed the government and with a majority in it, one can imagine what the outcome is.No need for debate, just vote for me and shut up.

In fairness, the mayor doesn't do anything anyway. And looking at the state of bangkok, would anyone miss this position?

Yep, no debate necessary, we (should) all know that for any Pheu Thai candidate there is the big thinker abroad who makes the party act. With the Pheu Thai party having formed the government and with a majority in it, one can imagine what the outcome is.No need for debate, just vote for me and shut up.

In fairness, the mayor doesn't do anything anyway. And looking at the state of bangkok, would anyone miss this position?

Not 'Mayor', 'Governor'.

As for not doing anything anyway, well ... Co-ordinate, strategy, talking to government, take the blame, etc., etc. Of course with anyone knowing what to do and actually doing it, we might get rid of a lot of other overhead as well. Remind me, what does the real PM here do, apart from very vocally supporting her candidate the 'friend of all people' Pol. General Pongsapat ermm.gif

Not 'Mayor', 'Governor'.

As for not doing anything anyway, well ... Co-ordinate, strategy, talking to government, take the blame, etc., etc. Of course with anyone knowing what to do and actually doing it, we might get rid of a lot of other overhead as well. Remind me, what does the real PM here do, apart from very vocally supporting her candidate the 'friend of all people' Pol. General Pongsapat ermm.gif

All well and good, but virtually no decision making powers sit in his hands. That's it

Not 'Mayor', 'Governor'.

All well and good, but virtually no decision making powers sit in his hands. That's it

One would assume that the Bangkok Governor has as much power as all other governors. Bangkok is a province in that sense. Bangkok is also a city. The governor can be seen as Bangkok City mayor as well. Again he should have the powers which go with it.

If governors have no power at all, the system seems a bit strange. If the Bangkok governor has more or has less powers than the others that would also require explanation.

All in all I don't think the solution would be 'no governor' and therefor incorporate Bangkok into another, existing province.

Edited by rubl

Not 'Mayor', 'Governor'.

One would assume that the Bangkok Governor has as much power as all other governors. Bangkok is a province in that sense. Bangkok is also a city. The governor can be seen as Bangkok City mayor as well. Again he should have the powers which go with it.

If governors have no power at all, the system seems a bit strange. If the Bangkok governor has more or has less powers than the others that would also require explanation.

All in all I don't think the solution would be 'no governor' and therefor incorporate Bangkok into another, existing province.

What they have now is a ceremonial position. The most important thing they do is organize the trash collection.

What they have now is a ceremonial position. The most important thing they do is organize the trash collection.

Well the governors of 76 provinces are appointed, but the governor of the 77th province, Bangkok, is elected. If the function merely covers 'trash collection' I'm puzzled as to why PM Yingluck is pushing so hard to have the Pheu Thai candidate Pol. General Pongsapat elected. That's assuming with trash you mean ordinary garbage and not the human kind ermm.gif

Well the governors of 76 provinces are appointed, but the governor of the 77th province, Bangkok, is elected. If the function merely covers 'trash collection' I'm puzzled as to why PM Yingluck is pushing so hard to have the Pheu Thai candidate Pol. General Pongsapat elected. That's assuming with trash you mean ordinary garbage and not the human kind ermm.gif

Do you really think anything will change remarkably whoever wins in bangkok?

But like the position, the meaning of who wins is symbolic politically. I am not saying sukhumband or pongsapat are good or bad, just say that the position actually effects virtually nothing.

Now if someone wanted to ban all high rise building around the downtown and plan a new satellite area in bangna, that would be thinking.

Edited by Thai at Heart

But like the position, the meaning of who wins is symbolic politically. I am not saying sukhumband or pongsapat are good or bad, just say that the position actually effects virtually nothing.

Now if someone wanted to ban all high rise building around the downtown and plan a new satellite area in bangna, that would be thinking.

To ban highrises in downtown Bangkok (I assume close to CBD)? New ones maybe if without proper access roads, parkingspace, etc., etc. Satellite city along BangNa-Trad? I'm not 100% up-to-date on Bangkok's borders, but I think most of BangNa(-Trad) falls under BangPhli, SamutPrakarn.

BTW with the incumbant having been charged with doing something, it's not surprising that effects are virtually nothing. It least k. Sukhumbant stood up for his city as he was voted in to do. With 'streamlined co-operation with the government' Pol. General Pongsapat one may wonder ermm.gif

To ban highrises in downtown Bangkok (I assume close to CBD)? New ones maybe if without proper access roads, parkingspace, etc., etc. Satellite city along BangNa-Trad? I'm not 100% up-to-date on Bangkok's borders, but I think most of BangNa(-Trad) falls under BangPhli, SamutPrakarn.

BTW with the incumbant having been charged with doing something, it's not surprising that effects are virtually nothing. It least k. Sukhumbant stood up for his city as he was voted in to do. With 'streamlined co-operation with the government' Pol. General Pongsapat one may wonder ermm.gif

Do you class any of the so called major roads in the cbd as access roads? They are car parks 75% of the day. Is Sukhumvit a major road, 4 lanes crammed under the bts, Silom same. Enough already. Stop building and go out. That is the only way bangkok has a future. Water treatment, pollution, green space, livability, ameneties, pedestrianisation, car tolls, clean buses, landfill, recycling, green roofs, solar, car parking fees, limits on taxi numbers, zoning, taxes for property,

He can't even widen sukhumvit by one foot.

Ironically, bangna, only 15 km outside the cbd, doesn't fall under bangkok. So you see, bangkok is just slowly heading for oblivion.

Isn't it slightly odd, how far Mr Pongsapat goes, not to remind Bangkok voters that he was a senior policeman ? wink.png

Almost as though it might not be an electoral plus ! rolleyes.gif

One would think that Police General Dr. Pongsapat would also wish to remind voters of his academic accomplishments with the PhD obtained from the same school as Police Lieutenant-Colonel Dr. Thaksin's alma mater, Sam Houston State University.