Is Chaweng Beach Rd Becoming The Next Ibiza?

No, that cars with the loudspeakers are not new, but here since ever, there were even boats in front Chaweng beach with loudspeakers years ago. Next no, most 3-5 Star hotel guests are not disturbed, because there are no loudspeaker cars during nighttime, less bars on Chaweng Beach road than ever, not one with live music, wind from the East during high season and most rooms are away from that road, traffic noise is more disturbing, but only at hotels with rooms directly next to that road. And next no, at the center of commerce there are no 3-5 star hotels, that strip between Chaweng Regent and The Library, and there are also many buildings with shops and restaurants in between the street and the small bungalow resorts there.

So, what are you talking about?

No Live music on Chaweng beach Rd! When was the last time you went there? The Black Roses kick ass!

Advertising trucks are nothing new. One of the first to use them was the Reggae Pub playing ''No Woman No Cry'' Everyone loved it. Next were the boxing stadiums "To Night To Night...Get the seat Earlier...You will never disappointed!" Again, everyone loved it. Now the street is overrun with them. Many from foreign run venues who try to be louder than all the others. You would think that the foreign run businesses would show more intelligence. It seems like they have turned the volume to max and are overloading the speakers! If they turned the volume down a few notches i'm sure everyone will listen and not cover their ears. Are these people Tone Deaf or may be just Brain Dead.

Over the years many of the long time tourists don't stay in chaweng anymore. Many stay in places like Bophut. Why...because Chaweng has got way too loud over the last few years. Anyone who really thinks these tourists didn't complain about noise pollution (not just from the trucks) must be living in a parallel universe.

So when the Question was raised ''Is Chaweng Beach Rd becoming the next Ibiza" (Could be Benidorm, Torremolinos or even Blackpool) Why are some members blowing their tops? It's almost as if I'm up against a load of Bar owners!

Edited by TheOggMonster
  • Like 2

I agree with you, The Oggmonster

What you mentioned in the above post belong to the amosphere of Samui, it's familiar sounds, the wall's ice creams cart jingle is another one.

What in my opinion is going in an other direction is when the boxers are shown as if it was a parade, most of the time they look bored.

Sometimes it's too much show off and vulgar on Chaweng beach road, and not fun or amazing as it used to be

that's my opinion.

Edited by Opl

I can just about put up with the odd loudspeakered pick-up...but what pi55es me off is when there are two of them 20ft apart advertising the same venue annoyed.gifcrazy.gif

Or even worse. During the election for the mayor last year - 5 in a row. Try passing them on Samui's roads!

Whao! Whao Whao Whao....Thats English for stop a horse!

As a concerned resident i'm only raising a question. But as usual all the usual suspects go all defensive. If you read the post the concern is about the increasing noise levels on the Chaweng beach rd. Not about a scenic view whilst walking a dog. Chaweng has many 3,4&5 star hotels. How many of there guests complain about noise pollution?

Yes and if you actually cared to read my post you will see that I have posted how I think your view as to it becoming like Ibiza is a complete load of bull!!

What part of my post is annoying you so much? I have just gave an honest opinion which just happens to oppose yours completely and I took the time to even explain it. If you care not to read and take in what is being said then that is entirely up to you but in no way and I being defensive and a "usual suspect". I just happen to think that your headline is a complete exaggeration, nowhere near the truth and very drama queen esque that's all...have a nice day now if you can find somewhere that has no noise which is impossible according to you mind you so......:-)

Hahahahaha, I'm lovin this topic. It's turning into Handbags at dawn!.......or is it Ear Muffs at dawn?

How weird....I clicked on a post to quote it but got this instead....sorry, this new modern technology as my new iPad has me baffled...lol

Ha ha, these threads can sometimes be quite comical for sure, it's all part of the fun :-)

Anyway, I don't need ear muffs at anytime as I don't hear any noise remember....lol. ;-)

Edited by Evergreen

Whao! Whao Whao Whao....Thats English for stop a horse!

As a concerned resident i'm only raising a question. But as usual all the usual suspects go all defensive. If you read the post the concern is about the increasing noise levels on the Chaweng beach rd. Not about a scenic view whilst walking a dog. Chaweng has many 3,4&5 star hotels. How many of there guests complain about noise pollution?

Yes and if you actually cared to read my post you will see that I have posted how I think your view as to it becoming like Ibiza is a complete load of bull!!

What part of my post is annoying you so much? I have just gave an honest opinion which just happens to oppose yours completely and I took the time to even explain it. If you care not to read and take in what is being said then that is entirely up to you but in no way and I being defensive and a "usual suspect". I just happen to think that your headline is a complete exaggeration, nowhere near the truth and very drama queen esque that's all...have a nice day now if you can find somewhere that has no noise which is impossible according to you mind you so......:-)

Hahahahaha, I'm lovin this topic. It's turning into Handbags at dawn!.......or is it Ear Muffs at dawn?

How weird....I clicked on a post to quote it but got this instead....sorry, this new modern technology as my new iPad has me baffled...lol

Ha ha, these threads can sometimes be quite comical for sure, it's all part of the fun :-)

Anyway, I don't need ear muffs at anytime as I don't hear any noise remember....lol. ;-)

You must have clicked on this post because it's the topic thats making the most noise!guitar.gif

I am not a bar owner, actually I never go to bars. But I like music. So where, when and what do the The Black Roses kick ass! play?

Apologies about the bar owner rant.

The Black Roses play in Penny lane on Friday nights, Samui Rock Cafe Sunday nights and the out door venue (forget the name) opposite Saver Mart midweek. They have two different singers so they sing all sorts. Murphys and Bubbas share another band witch is pretty good. Like most bands in Samui...you may need a few beers to fully appreciate the music!

• Like 2

I can just see the hip-hop, trance music lovers from Ibiza just flocking here to listen to the ermmm Black Roses or to ovada in murphy's playing Guns n' Roses on the electric guitar.....all whilst balancing a pint of Guinness on her heid!!...ha ha ha. No idea if they still play there but I remember thinking just how bizarre that was....so maybe it's turning into a more Kerrang rocky style of place then? Ha ha... ;-)

I can just see the hip-hop, trance music lovers from Ibiza just flocking here to listen to the ermmm Black Roses or to ovada in murphy's playing Guns n' Roses on the electric guitar.....all whilst balancing a pint of Guinness on her heid!!...ha ha ha. No idea if they still play there but I remember thinking just how bizarre that was....so maybe it's turning into a more Kerrang rocky style of place then? Ha ha... ;-)

Do you have time share people about.?.They are a pest in Phuket.

Do you have time share people about.?.They are a pest in Phuket.

Oh yes... "Absolutely" ;-) but that's another subject entirely and been the subject a few times in the past.

• Like 1

It's fair to say that the same type of tourist that is attracted to Ibiza is also attracted to Samui. Great beaches, party atmosphere.

Last time I was down on Chawang beach at the Arc Bar those people there were exactly the same people I saw in Ibiza in the 90s.

None of this a new development though. The trucks and the clubs were there fifteen years ago.

So there's a MacDondalds and a Starbucks. Get over it.

There was probably some guy in the 80s talking to the one other tourist on the island. Telling him how overdeveloped the island has become, man.

you have an idea how it looked like and how it was in the 80's, early 90's?

the first time Samui was 85 for me and now I live her since 1990. There were charter flights for Samui to Surat Thani even before BA opened its airport! And I knew many guys, who left because too much wrong development for them at this time. These people could not handle that situation, like you people now could not handle Samui, if it would be houses and streets, department stores and harbors only.

ahm....wait a minute, I believe there are guys here now who could also handle that.

• Like 1

the first time Samui was 85 for me and now I live her since 1990. There were charter flights for Samui to Surat Thani even before BA opened its airport! And I knew many guys, who left because too much wrong development for them at this time. These people could not handle that situation, like you people now could not handle Samui, if it would be houses and streets, department stores and harbors only.

ahm....wait a minute, I believe there are guys here now who could also handle that.

those guys who call it paradise?

those guys who call it paradise?

in the '80's some even left when the army was called in to get rid of the pirates who preyed on Vietnamese boat people (refugees), raped and killed them and also plundered the "salt" ships heading for Terrenganu (Malaysia) where Samui was regarded as an infamous hideaway of pirates..."the most dangerous spot in the Gulf to pass" according to the old sailors over there.

between 85 and 90 I was on Samui yearly for a couple of weeks to relax. Everywhere, Lamai, Menam, Chaweng, Koh Phangan as well......87 even at the small beach next to Raja ferry around the rocks for a couple of weeks, which is now an industrial area, then stunningly beautiful, long way to Reggae Pub, which was a tiny, very simple disco spot opposite the now Centara Grand in the middle of a tense and dark palm tree forest on a sandy path...everything everywhere was extremely beautiful, calm and peaceful and the first time I have read about pirates in the 80s on Samui was....on 12 Mar 2013, 04:26 to be precise.

If there would have been pirates, I guess Farangs would have been a much more lucrative prey than Vietnamese boat people....but maybe they are right, the old sailors over there, I am not old and not a sailor

• Like 1

between 85 and 90 I was on Samui yearly for a couple of weeks to relax. Everywhere, Lamai, Menam, Chaweng, Koh Phangan as well......87 even at the small beach next to Raja ferry around the rocks for a couple of weeks, which is now an industrial area, then stunningly beautiful, long way to Reggae Pub, which was a tiny, very simple disco spot opposite the now Centara Grand in the middle of a tense and dark palm tree forest on a sandy path...everything everywhere was extremely beautiful, calm and peaceful and the first time I have read about pirates in the 80s on Samui was....on 12 Mar 2013, 04:26 to be precise.

If there would have been pirates, I guess Farangs would have been a much more lucrative prey than Vietnamese boat people....but maybe they are right, the old sailors over there, I am not old and not a sailor the Imperial hotel was attacked and its guests robbed, the culprits came and left by boats. Some of the farangs who left the island when the Thai army stepped in 'mid 80's) are still residing in the country. Yes the Reggae Pub... dancing in the sand.

the Imperial hotel was attacked and its guests robbed, the culprits came and left by boats. Some of the farangs who left the island when the Thai army stepped in 'mid 80's) are still residing in the country. Yes the Reggae Pub... dancing in the sand.

If there would have been pirates, I guess Farangs would have been a much more lucrative prey than Vietnamese boat people....but maybe they are right, the old sailors over there, I am not old and not a sailor the Imperial hotel was attacked and its guests robbed, the culprits came and left by boats. Some of the farangs who left the island when the Thai army stepped in 'mid 80's) are still residing in the country. Yes the Reggae Pub... dancing in the sand.

the Imperial hotel was attacked and its guests robbed, the culprits came and left by boats. Some of the farangs who left the island when the Thai army stepped in 'mid 80's) are still residing in the country. Yes the Reggae Pub... dancing in the sand.
Robbing the Vietnamese boatpeople was very lucrative, they had golden jewellery with them...Wikipedia about Vietnamese boatpeople, Thai pirates and the refugeecamps in southern Thailand.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_boat_people Edited by PoorSucker
quote fixed

As I understand it - the army came to the island in 1983, they were red berets based in Surat Thani and led by a very able Lieut. Saming who was sent by the Governor Niphon Buntayaro after a resort was attacked by nine armed hoodlums who were locals from Chaweng. They were not pirates and did not come by sea and it was not The Imperial as it was not even

built then.

Edited by PoorSucker
quote fixed