Fish Farming ... When It Goes Belly Up

David48

I have used Nim see Seng for many years to transport food products. They are an excellent company and never one problem. They only have one place to ship and receive in Bangkok. They other 2 places are in Nakorn Pathom at Sai 5 and Sia 2 their truck terminals

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I located the following hardware:

8 hp 3 inch inlet and outlet gasoline pump with 3 inch inlet and outlet. 4500

The big pump store near the old bus station is getting me a quote on a aerator that floats on 2 pontoons. The motor air pump motor combination pulls 600 watts and is submerged and hangs from the two pontoons. The legs are adjustable for various depths of water. It looks ideal but I fear the price will be big.

Found a 420 watts diaphragm pump that attaches to 4 inch stones. It was 5000 Baht and she would not discount. The four inch stones were 180 Baht each. She did not know how many stones you could attach.

Will start by buying the 8 hp gasoline pump and weight for the air pump quote.

My dear friend Donald... Why would a "MIC" 8 Hp give you 3-4'' in/outlet when a genuine engine MiT (Made inThailand Honda Gx 200 6.5 hp) will do the job with a max 4'' ??? The Chinese engine what !?!! 8 or 12 hp is just a marketting gimmick. I had 5 years ago bought a few 200w light bulb MIChina and found them to be an inferior 8w.....

If you would recall Donald, when i asked you how much for the 8 hp, did you recall reading my facial expression......?

The 8 hp pump with 3 inch outlet is only 500 Baht more than the 6 hp. This pump is made in Taiwan not big China. It carries a 6 months warranty. They do keep spare parts. It looks better than the more expensive pumps that are Chinese made. I think that it is worth the risk as my requirements are not great.

No word yet on the air pump with the flotation pontoons. Not sure the diaphragm pump is good enough at 420 watts with a pressure of .045Mpa.It stated that it was 245 LPM. It just seems small in comparison to the pump that OD has which is a rotary type. I do have a good strong air compressor but it does not seem like it is built for long term service.

The 8 hp pump with 3 inch outlet is only 500 Baht more than the 6 hp. This pump is made in Taiwan not big China. It carries a 6 months warranty. They do keep spare parts. It looks better than the more expensive pumps that are Chinese made. I think that it is worth the risk as my requirements are not great.

No word yet on the air pump with the flotation pontoons. Not sure the diaphragm pump is good enough at 420 watts with a pressure of .045Mpa.It stated that it was 245 LPM. It just seems small in comparison to the pump that OD has which is a rotary type. I do have a good strong air compressor but it does not seem like it is built for long term service.

Donald,Global House in Udon Thani has had one of the flotation type aerators on the shelf since they opened years ago,if it is the same type you looked at , when you get the price you will learn why its still on the shelf.

The diaphragm pump at 245 LPM is definately not suitable for a large pond, From memory that pump has an 1/2 inch outlet, while 4 inch stones also are 1/2 inch connection so that pump would be lucky to run 2 stones successfully .

OD: Please let me know the price when you are in town again for the floating type aerator. Today the pump shop said the store in Bangkok would not answer.

When I went back to get the Taiwan Tiger pump today the 8 hp was gone. I ended up buying the 6.5 hp. They will repair free labor for ever. I would have to pay for parts after 60 days. I think that it will do the job OK. The tried to unload a Thai made unit on me and I rejected it. Still would like to know where I can buy the 370 watt blower like you have. None in Chiang Rai that I can find.

OD: Please let me know the price when you are in town again for the floating type aerator. Today the pump shop said the store in Bangkok would not answer.

When I went back to get the Taiwan Tiger pump today the 8 hp was gone. I ended up buying the 6.5 hp. They will repair free labor for ever. I would have to pay for parts after 60 days. I think that it will do the job OK. The tried to unload a Thai made unit on me and I rejected it. Still would like to know where I can buy the 370 watt blower like you have. None in Chiang Rai that I can find.

,Yep,phone Angus at Farmaqua, .I believe you have his number.

Sort out what you want ,transfer the cash to the A/C he tells you and it will be on its way, EMS may be best option

By the way, Honda pumps and engines are made in Thailand and although a bit dearer than you were talking are probably no. 1 in the class.

Edited by ozzydom

Well did a test net on the Pla Mor today, weight 1/2 gram. Sadly I will never know if the mass feeding would have worked wiht Pla Mor, since the Brother in Law did not follow the program. There were days that he didn't feed them at all.

I would have liked to know, so it's long term now for sure

It can get discourgeing, but hold your head up ray, and keep plugging. I have 4 BIL and 3 are not worth the powder it would take to blow them off a tree stump.

The one I call the good BIL will not hire any of the other 3 to even do gopher work on the farms nor in construction.

I used to calculate that 10% of the employees gave or created 90% of the problems. These numbers seemed to work for family also. Then I came to Thailand. If its not a national holiday, the locals dream up a local one, if someone is not sick, getting married, cremated or born, they are hungover, hungary, upset at someone or something, or just plain anti work day, I felt relief. Then a new one would be sprung on you.I will not even estimate what my 10 to 90% number is here, as someone would accuss me of Thai bashing

Quality wise Honda GX series (GX 160/180/200) engine are better than those made in China. I have yet to come across a Made In Taiwan engine being sold in Chiang Rai. Lots of shop will tell you it's made in Taiwan.

This are the tests i have done...

"Why are this words look foreigner (on/off switch) ?"..."Oh~ Those are Japanese words and charaters. smile.png "

"No...Clearly these are Chinese charaters and wording. Humm~ Made In China, inported across the bridge from Mae Sai."... "No no no...Sorry this aren't Japanese, this are Made In Taiwan. tongue.png "

"No...China uses 'Simplified charaters" whilst Taiwan still uses 'Traditional charaters'..."

These is the stage he gets confuse and shoot "How do you know ? blink.png "

"...Because I'm Chinese, you fool !"

"...From China ???"... "Noop...Singapore"

" but you speak like a Northie, you speak with a Kun Meaung accent... nooooo~ I don't believe you..."

"See here ! Engrave Made In Thailand with serial number ..... You said Taiwan, now show me..."

"Yeah right...Thought so~~~"

He couldn't fine it, but show me the packing box with the MIC label cover with fake bar code sticker. When i pulled the sticker off, it was printed Made In China. His reply was "Come on...I'm just a saleman...laugh.png "

I;m would have kliked to know. But, I already have given the farm to th family. It's their problem now.

I know from RBH it would work on Cat Fish. Pla Mor was an experiment.

I will not be giving anymore money fo the farm operation.

Time fo me go riding and have fun. I do sneak out ther when I'm bored and fish.

It was always intended for that so not a big issue.

I do control the money for my Brothre in Law simply because he doesn't have a clue. I try to help with experience when I can. If he listens or doesn't I can't do much about that.

I've spent three years learning now and did the work myself. So I do have an idea of the methods that work.

For a few months he was an employee got paid no matter what happened. Couldn't believe the fights it caused betwenn my wife and I. Simply wasn't worth to me any longer.

Now he stands on his own or fails on his own. I hope he is succesful. But, I won't bail him out

They will either have something in the end or they won't.

So not angry just disappointed about the experiment.

I have noticed that my pla tab tem are beginning to loose their orange color around the head and mid body section. I see 4 or 5 fish that have died but seems to be normal. The fish behavior seems to be normal. Has anyone had this experience before?

I have weighed a couple of the pla suway and found that after 4 months they weigh 330 grams average. Have not weighed the pla tab tem in the upper lake. Looks like by the end of April I can pump the upper lake into the lower lake and sell the pla tab tem. I put in 2000 but it sure does not look like there are that many there now. The left over pla nin after being dry for 2 months looks like 50% of the population in the upper and lower lake. I shall try to load the upper lake up with lime after it has been pumped and the fish taken out. Hoping that the change in ph will allow me to kill the remaining pla nin.

That matched the Growth rate of the Pla Mor. So I think nine months is going to be more like it then 90 days since we have passsed that margin. I'm tempted to transfer some over to the big pond give some more room to grow. Pla Nins growth rate is nothing like we had before, Since we ended up with non sexed fish last time around. I'm at this juncture trying to figure out how to slavage something from this mess. Till I can try RBH's method with cat Fish.

Any thoughts?

Ray: I think that RBH program for growing catfish is the only way you can make money at this game. Once I harvest these fish I will talk again with him. He has stated that I should consider 10,000 in my larger pond. RBH can supply me with food and fry. He can arrange to have the fish harvested. Basically all I have to do is feed the fish. This way he makes some extra money and I can also.

A big goal for me is to get the pla nin out of both ponds. They are a curse because they reproduce so fast. Hoping that a good shot of lime will do this.

I agree but I don't have three rai to work with, so I will try to get as close to his plan as I can.There is three rai next to me that I could but at normal pricing. But, with people wanting 500K a rai not going to happen. Anything close to Udon with or without a Chanote, has sky rocketed. The land office in Udon has turned very hard core. The land w bouhgt has a Nor sor som Kor on it, one step below a Chanote. I did everyhtign right wn ent to a lawyyer first. The land office still would not makw the transfer. Before the current admisitration that would have be an easy thing to do not so anymore. So I wait for a transfer of the boss. Got my bill of sale. Even if I had the other three Rai, not enough water available. RBH was kind enough to offer me some help as well. There is just no way I could do it.

So the majority of the operation will always be Plarooms (mushrooms)

The fish will alaways be a hobby. But, it can keep your mind busy

Edited by ray23

Ray: I think that RBH program for growing catfish is the only way you can make money at this game. Once I harvest these fish I will talk again with him. He has stated that I should consider 10,000 in my larger pond. RBH can supply me with food and fry. He can arrange to have the fish harvested. Basically all I have to do is feed the fish. This way he makes some extra money and I can also.

A big goal for me is to get the pla nin out of both ponds. They are a curse because they reproduce so fast. Hoping that a good shot of lime will do this.

Forget the lime Donald, just poison them or you will end up in the same predicament.

...I'm at this juncture trying to figure out how to slavage something from this mess. Till I can try RBH's method with cat Fish.

Any thoughts?

Ray23 ... didn't you turn the Farm over to your BiL ... or have I got either the wrong member or misunderstood the Plan?

I think that RBH program for growing catfish is the only way you can make money at this game.

RBH has a great plan for making money ... he's got it down to a fine art ... thumbsup.gif

BUT ...

Thousands of Thai Fish Farmers ... my gf's parents for example ... the Farm I wake up everyday at when I'm in Thailand ... turn a profit.

The Farm Parents raised 3 kids, put one of them through University.

It can be done ... but not if you think like a westener.

Our input costs are way to high.

I've suggested the link to that story more then once ... up to you if you have taken the time to read it or not.

That said, I look forward to meeting OD and examining his approach to Farming because his input costs are less then the Traditional Thai method because of the different feeding regime.

I think that RBH program for growing catfish is the only way you can make money at this game.

RBH has a great plan for making money ... he's got it down to a fine art ... thumbsup.gif

BUT ...

Thousands of Thai Fish Farmers ... my gf's parents for example ... the Farm I wake up everyday at when I'm in Thailand ... turn a profit.

The Farm Parents raised 3 kids, put one of them through University.

It can be done ... but not if you think like a westener.

Our input costs are way to high.

I've suggested the link to that story more then once ... up to you if you have taken the time to read it or not.

That said, I look forward to meeting OD and examining his approach to Farming because his input costs are less then the Traditional Thai method because of the different feeding regime.

And because I am a bloody tightwad:lol:

Edited by PoorSucker
fixed quote

So far, OD and RBH are the only ones on this forum that are showing profits. OD uses the algae approach to reduce his food cost and RBH is only growing cat fish. Seems like one of these approaches are the only ones that can succeed.

... facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I give up.

Donald, mate ... enjoy ... thumbsup.gif

A couple of free publications you might find useful:

Tilapia are pretty tough but they do get bacterial disease, I think various Streptococcus infection which can be temperature related. If you have a district or provincial fisheries office not too far away, you can probably get advice from them on the cause.