British Teachers To Improve Thai Youths' English Skills

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First you do all the head washing, then you elicit a story from the students and write it on the board:

Today was head washing day. We killed lots of lice. We used shampoo and combs. First we........

Use objects and draw pictures to explain as you go along. When you're finished get the students to read it and copy it into their books.

I hope the British students are qualified to teach English.

Needless to say, 'British English' is not common English.

As linguists have said - America as a new country needed to identify and codify the language the country would use, so Noah Webster created a dictionary of the American language - English as it was spoken in the 18th century and they way Americans continue to speak it.

Simple test - a much large population of native speakers call the last letter of the alphabet 'ZEE' than use the term 'ZED'.

Now the obvious step, is to ask the thousands of American retirees living here to assist their local schools - modify the immigration code...

Actually, American English (including Canadian) is the older form of the two Englishes. It has not changed as much from the English of the 17th and 18th centuries century as British English

I have to chuckle when I see Westerners constantly bashing Thai people for their poor English skills... yet I know almost no farang that can speak more than three words of Thai, even the ones that have lived here for years. If it's so damn easy to pick up a language, then how about picking up the one in the country you reside in before you rip into them for not learning your language.

Thank you Dr. Doolittle. And I have to chuckle when I think about learning Thai. After years of having my Thai friends, and now my wife, translate back to me when I ask, "What did they say?", I confirm my levity with the generally stupid, idiotic, falsified, lackluster and childlike meaning behind the response. It is damn easy to pick up on a language, but why do so and then use it as a bludgeon against the idiots who speak it? Why act superior when you truly are in many many ways, and really don't need to press the point so far as to speak the language? Dr. Doolittle came to my mind, but there are also very many competent veterinarians (non-Thai-speaking foreigners) out there who understand the nature of the beast and can treat and deal with their illnesses quite well, and even love the furry little things. Simply watching them speaks volumes. Why bother knowing the lies that they utter, which contradict their idiotic behavior, unless you are going to write a satirical novel?

In summary, you are suggesting I become Dr. Doolittle, when it is enough just to know the nature of the beast and still get along absolutely fine. When they have something intelligent and original to say and stop with their incessant flattering and compulsive lying, then perhaps I'll take an interest in their language. Until then, English is something they should aspire to and not the other way around. The other way around is charity and an option, not the rule.

Incidentally, before you accuse me of being racist or a bigot, read the Thailand News headlines about one hundred pages back, beginning with page one.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

The most competent English-speaking people I have met in the last 4 years here in the northern Thai provinces are hill-tribe people, and several are self-taught. Is there any research whatsoever into why and how this is so? I am not Thai-bashing: I am merely suggesting doing some research into what works, rather than bewailing what is obviously not working. Most certainly the current system of English-teaching in Thailand is not working. It may be seen to be working at the highest echelons: amongst those who have the money to travel overseas, and those able to employ private native-speaking English tutors for their children. I do apologise but I cannot describe Philippino or African teachers as native-speakers. Sorry for that. It's not personal: indeed, when I visited Glasgow I experienced serious problems there also (and I am of Scotch descent). When I first started teaching, I had the most wonderful headmaster, and he would take every teacher aside when we arrived and tell us that if any one of our students failed, it was our fault. I am not suggesting that our teachers here are at fault, because I uunderstand there are very serious problems indeed with some of the schools, the systems, the contracts, the wages and the context within which English is being taught. I DO understand that. But it seems to me that a wholly new approach needs to be developed for Thailand in the context of the ways in which Thais learn and communicate. Sorry again: I realise I will be crucified at dawn. But throwing more of the same at a situation which is not working does not solve the problem. We could probably employ 5,000 native English speakers tomorrow on 2 year contracts and we might not have a positive outcome. Are the major accrediting bodies for teaching English as a Foreign Language keeping up with research?

I am English man from Birmingham and live in Thailand i have a nutral accent perfected over many years not posh i am working class,

it is no good someone with a strong local accent North South or Midlands teaching English to the Thai people thay need to speek good English with good grammer and pronunsiation.

• Like 2

dear cup-o-coffee,

it is not about "showing off" it is about a quality of life. I enjoyed reading news papers, watching the nightly news and just having a friendly chat with people back in Ireland or where ever I was living (english speaking). So I chose to learn Thai to enjoy those simple pleasures here.

Reading a book is not I think being "superior" to anyone else. It is something I enjoy. And to be honest I am sure if you had a chat with your neighbors or at a local party or in Tesco or at a restaurant you may find it is not ALL about gossip. Believe it or not Thai people do talk about sports, the weather, politics, movies (another item I enjoy in both languages), clothes, beer, cost of gas, current news items.

Try it.....you may like it.

• Like 1

Needless to say, 'British English' is not common English.

As linguists have said - America as a new country needed to identify and codify the language the country would use, so Noah Webster created a dictionary of the American language - English as it was spoken in the 18th century and they way Americans continue to speak it.

Simple test - a much large population of native speakers call the last letter of the alphabet 'ZEE' than use the term 'ZED'.

Now the obvious step, is to ask the thousands of American retirees living here to assist their local schools - modify the immigration code...

Beginners need basic English skills. It doesn't matter what flavor. I believe examples and practice, relevant to Thailand, are more important.

Based on my experience, it's not difficult for intermediate / advanced students to learn the different pronunciations and spellings later in their studies.

British teachers to improve Thai youths' English skills

>>in cooperation with the British Council which has recruited 792 students

So, teachers or students? Sounds more like a student exchange program of sorts.

Obviously the government press agency has not understood the concept of Language Assistant. I think they could do with a couple of these assistants; it might improve the quality of their press releases drastically.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

dear cup-o-coffee,

it is not about "showing off" it is about a quality of life. I enjoyed reading news papers, watching the nightly news and just having a friendly chat with people back in Ireland or where ever I was living (english speaking). So I chose to learn Thai to enjoy those simple pleasures here.

Reading a book is not I think being "superior" to anyone else. It is something I enjoy. And to be honest I am sure if you had a chat with your neighbors or at a local party or in Tesco or at a restaurant you may find it is not ALL about gossip. Believe it or not Thai people do talk about sports, the weather, politics, movies (another item I enjoy in both languages), clothes, beer, cost of gas, current news items.

Try it.....you may like it.

Thank you. Eventually, I will. It is merely being called out on the carpet which compels me to state that until that time, I have many more English-speaking friends who provide much more stimulating and quick witted food for thought and conversation than the empty, monosyllabic responses of the Thai sort, who aren't as relaxed and who worry, clearly thinking about what I may think about what they say, rather than simply saying something original from their head or heart. My two-year old son is picking up Thai very quickly; learning how to utter "No have" and "No want" and "Go where?". He is having difficulty expressing "I do not have that", or "I do not want that", and "Where are you going?", but I hope you get the point, unless your name is Alley Oop.

Learning or educating these people about anything which challenges the norm is something that you will have difficulty with here. Doing it with people who are indoctrinated to resist is near impossible. They will not be academic, but rather applied, and therefore you cannot find a way to impress upon them the sense of urgency to light the fires of applying themselves when their dulled senses do not experience your great need. You understand a water shortage, and the need to conserve. They, on the other hand, turn on the water tap and see water come out, and therefore there must not be a water shortage. It goes hand in hand with my certain belief that in Thailand their is no emergency or crisis until it happens. And still they do nothing but stand around and gawp or begin pointing fingers and blaming the other person to protect their (you guessed it) FACE. But thanks for the nice thoughts anyways.

• Like 1

I have to chuckle when I see Westerners constantly bashing Thai people for their poor English skills... yet I know almost no farang that can speak more than three words of Thai, even the ones that have lived here for years. If it's so damn easy to pick up a language, then how about picking up the one in the country you reside in before you rip into them for not learning your language.

Good post, but Thai is much harder to learn than English, 42 letters in the Thai alphabet, most words only have one syllable, five different tones. I have learned a little Thai, and anyone who says it is easy is kidding themselves. I don't blame any Farang who does not want to learn to speak Thai.

A good point. An ex student of mine who was an exchange student in Germany for one year, came back, now fluent in German.

Her English was always good, because she loves languages. She also speaks Laos and some Khmer.

You're damn right, most people here explaining about Thais' poor language skills, and can't even order a freaking noodle soup at a restaurant.

I've met many guys living here for 15- 20 years, without any Thai speaking skills.

My Thai isn't very good, but i can easily get around without any help in daily life situations.

My ex student was asking me: " What do you call a person, who only speaks one language."? Her answer was: " An American." I'm pretty sure that many speak Spanish as well.

Even the most fluent of Thai English speakers speak so you can make out every word they say, but understanding what they mean is completely different. ie they say yes when they mean no, that is because there are no main Thai words for yes and no. you will never get away with saying Chai and Mai Chai all the time.

Because the practiaclity does not warrant it. Thai has such limited value for local use temporarily that the time spent to acquire it makes no sense, since it cannot be used like Spanish or Chinese, for example. This becomes even more true in 2015 when English will become the business language of Thailand for the AEC. Maybe if you live under a rock in a village in the country it might be of more use. But even in remote areas of Isan English serves well.

• Like 1

A good point. An ex student of mine who was an exchange student in Germany for one year, came back, now fluent in German.

Her English was always good, because she loves languages. She also speaks Laos and some Khmer.

You're damn right, most people here explaining about Thais' poor language skills, and can't even order a freaking noodle soup at a restaurant.

I've met many guys living here for 15- 20 years, without any Thai speaking skills.

My Thai isn't very good, but i can easily get around without any help in daily life situations.

My ex student was asking me: " What do you call a person, who only speaks one language."? Her answer was: " An American." I'm pretty sure that many speak Spanish as well.

Even the most fluent of Thai English speakers speak so you can make out every word they say, but understanding what they mean is completely different. ie they say yes when they mean no, that is because there are no main Thai words for yes and no. you will never get away with saying Chai and Mai Chai all the time.

Thailand has hundreds of combat aircraft that are flown by more than one pilot. If they have a problem and have to bail out do you mean to imply the captain of the plane can't tell his crew to bail out? Or lets say a doctor is giving you a heart transplant. The doctor can't say yes or no to his nurses questions? Now that is just silly.

I volunteered to teach English for awhile in Khong. It is useless if you do not know how to speak the Thai language. The students do not understand at all what you want them to do. I tried to have the teachers stay and translate what I wanted. None of them would, they all treated it like an hour off from the duties each day.

This is where some training comes in very handy.

The Thai English teachers can speak Thai very well, yet their English teaching is somewhat lacking compared to a trained NES who speaks very little Thai.

Again, a redundant point.

Not true, you do not have to speak Thai to teach English, I taught English for three years, and only used Thai for saying things like "be quiet", or "where have you been?"

• Like 1

I am English man from Birmingham and live in Thailand i have a nutral accent perfected over many years not posh i am working class,

it is no good someone with a strong local accent North South or Midlands teaching English to the Thai people thay need to speek good English with good grammer and pronunsiation.

Too funny - I'm assuming the errors are intentional smile.png

I volunteered to teach English for awhile in Khong. It is useless if you do not know how to speak the Thai language. The students do not understand at all what you want them to do. I tried to have the teachers stay and translate what I wanted. None of them would, they all treated it like an hour off from the duties each day.

The Thai English teachers can speak Thai very well, yet their English teaching is somewhat lacking compared to a trained NES who speaks very little Thai.

Not true, you do not have to speak Thai to teach English, I taught English for three years, and only used Thai for saying things like "be quiet", or "where have you been?"
Exactly my point.

Had 10 British Council "teachers" in another country working for me. One was qualified, another tried real hard, a third put effort into her work and was a dream of a cultural exchange person but the other 7 were flunkies, albeit university graduate flunkies, who the government was trying to get off the dole.

May I also point out that from what I have seen, Thai English teachers teach the students to write very well.

Exactly my point.

I taught true beginners from many different countries in the same class for more than a decade and they learned a lot. You just need to know what you doing. See my post above about BC.

Thailand has hundreds of combat aircraft that are flown by more than one pilot. If they have a problem and have to bail out do you mean to imply the captain of the plane can't tell his crew to bail out? Or lets say a doctor is giving you a heart transplant. The doctor can't say yes or no to his nurses questions? Now that is just silly.

Maybe it is, but I'm just saying it as it is. There are no main Thai words for yes and no.

Matter of technique. When I studied for my TESOL/TEFL certification the students were forbidden from using their native language (L1) in the class and the instructors, if they knew the students language, were not allowed to use it either. It was an excellent methodology and based on total immersion and contextual teaching.

An example. The first day of our training, the instructor came into the classroom and started off right away speaking Japanese (he was not Japanese) and teaching the 1st hour as such. This demonstration of the methodology was powerful and impressed us.

Bottom line, you do not need nor necessarily want to use the native language (L1) in the class room.

My ESL Methods teacher in grad school taught us in Swahili.

What I want to know is,who pays for all this.The British government will,as usual,pick up the bill in the long runespecially if the British council are involved

Why should we be worried about teaching english to anti-farang,brainwashed kids. Maybe,it will be like an expence paid holiday for the teachers?

With all the cutbacks and hardship in Britain it is ridiculous to waste money on these cosmetic projects. The British Council should remember that charity begins at home.

• Like 1

I support this in two ways. I think it is good for the British kids to get a chance to experience people of another culture (not just the usual gap year preset adventure ) and for the kids to hear english as it really sounds.

I also believe there is a place for volunteers and backpackers in the schools. THe role is not that of a teacher but of a live interactive record giving real practice of the sounds of a well prepared course.

I think they and many backpackers and volunteers may motivate the kids more than some dispirited "NES teacher".

THis does not make them teachers but resources.