Rare Comet Will Be Visible From Bangkok This Weekend

webfact

Rare comet will be visible from Bangkok this weekend
By Coconuts Bangkok

panstarrs-578x309.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Between this Friday and March 17, Bangkokians will have a rare chance to observe a non-periodic comet as it passes through the Western portion of the sky visible from the city.

The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT) announced earlier this week that Comet C/2011 L4 (Panstarrs) would be visible from Bangkok for about half an hour after sunset between this Friday and March 17.

Provided the pollution surrounding Bangkok keeps to a relative minimum (fingers crossed), the comet should be visible to the naked eye. Viewers will be able to recognize it as the brightest object in the Western night sky.

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/rare-comet-will-be-visible-from-bangkok-this-weekend/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-03-08

I used own a Comet (as in a RARE Ford Comet automobile) that i couldn't outrun or out drive a turtle with it tongue.png

Why is Bangkok so special for this comet sighting? Why not Chaing Mai, Pattaya, Ubon or Rayong etc.??? blink.png

Still trying find name/picture of a famous high sightseeing point in northwest Thailand with a beautiful Temple/Museum just down the curvy tight road on same-same high-point hill we visited with (my now ex-gal, we no talk anymore bah.gif )

It was a Temple memorial dedicated to 5 Monks that died in a plane crash there...an absolutely beautiful Temple on top of and well kept Thai relic Museum below it...(one structure)

Been a couple years now so I cannot recall the name but great memories are still here clap2.gif

Any help naming it, link and/or a picture of it would be extremely appreciated...

MaiThaiMai

wai.gifwai2.gifwai.gif

Edited by MaiThaiMai

Has no one noticed that it says it will be visible for approximately 30 mins, between this Friday and March 17th??

Do they mean next weekend??

This was posted yesterday....Friday 8th March at 15.33

Don't know about 'Amazing Thailand'......probably best to be called 'Confusing Thailand'

Or are they just being ahead of the game on this one 55555555

Think they should have waited till Monday to post this.

Yup maybe I am being pedantic....but its still gonna be Friday the 15th through to Sunday 17th. 48hours of looking up in Bangkok to see a possible 30minute pass by of a comet in a heavily light polluted city....hmmmmmmm

Ohhh I see.....lol

They mean it can only be seen for 30 minutes after sunset everyday until the 17th.

I understand now lol.....I am not an astronomer just got confused by the title...............

Cheers for the info....silly me

• Like 1