Chiangmai Golf Classic -Ernie Els,thongchai Etc.

Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's every chance, don't you? Unless there's some serious rain coming before then.

The Cricket Sixes are going to get hit again, too, last time it was this bad people were dropping like flies. At least Golfers don't have to run.

Is there any chance some of the golfers will refuse to play because of the smoke?

I was out at Highlands yeaterday, and the smoke was so bad I am reconsidering my idea of taking the kids to Alpine on Thursday.

Iain

Played at Gold Canyon on Monday, literally finished gasping for breath. At Alpine those that make the cut have to play 4 days in a row. I hope there is plenty of oxygen on hand.

The players will not be happy and I hope the say so openly.

Publicity for the tournament is centered around a handful of players - Els, Yang, Campbell and Thongchai - all of whom will be getting appearance money, totalling around US500,000. They have already been pictured at temples and come out with the usual sound bytes about how wonderful it is to be in Chiang Mai. The whole affair is stage managed so don't expect any of the big names to mention the smog, that's not good for business. And the media just use the press releases issued by the organisers.

Well, I watched some of the first round on television (True Sports 4) and nary a word about the smog although it was obvious from the pictures that Alpine Golf Resort was affected. One of the commentators even had the temerity to say that it was "a glorious day here in Chiang Mai". Ok a strongish wind in the afternoon did blow away some of the smoke clouds but "glorious", hardly. No surprise that the commentators did not mention it, as it would not be good for business and the coverage was by Asian Tour Productions. Prayad Marksaeng of Thailand is leading after the first round on -7 and there was not a mention in commentary (that I heard) that he is bang in form having won the Thailand Open just two weeks ago. Thought that would have been relevant but the Asian Tour and the television commentators seem to be adopting the attitude of a three-year-old who shuts his eyes and pretends the bogey man is not there. The Thailand Open, for those who don't follow golf, features on a rival tour.

Guys, the event has been a real treat to anyone that has actually gone out to attend it. I realize you keyboard warriors know everything, but you just might want to go check it out for yourselves. The course looks beautiful and the golfers are on their games.. Thongchai has been knocking flags down, although his putter has been a bit cold.. These young kids are bombing it past Ernie, it's been fun to watch...

Or... you could stay at home and talk about the smog!!