Speedboat Races At Wat Khamong, Khlong Khud, Chanthaburi

cycloneJ

poster_zps1be6743f.jpg

Poster says this (today) is the 3rd annual races; can't vouch for that, but this is the second time we've been

Wat Khamong is about 6km west of Tha Mai (12km from Chan city) then another 1km inland

Part of a two-day festival based in temple grounds, last night bands/entertainment, today it was food, the usual 'throw darts at balloons' etc, some kids activities, though the bouncy castle had a leak and was less than bouncy, but the main event. speedboat races and about 42 (my count) boats in attendance

speedboats_zpsea5076fc.jpg

Edited by cycloneJ

but first - James Bond had an over-powered one in The Man With The Golden Gun part of which was filmed in Thailand

jamesbond_zps4ed16f4c.jpg

Don't know how competitive he would have been today though.

Edited by cycloneJ

no one comments on my thread?

What makes a 'successful' thread?

Suggestion: What it is plainly lacking is reference to Hitler, a Nazi-themed boat covered in swastikas!

That was I may get over 17,000 views

However i shall persist with my little 'slice of life' in Thailand threads, whether you like it or not!

Away from the actual boat racing, Saturday night had entertainment, singers, dancers and a touring traditional Khmer-style (correct if I'm wrong) group

A big family event, lots of old grandmas and grandads in the shelter of the trees, plenty of food of course, and sideshows/20 baht for 5 blunt darts aimed at extra-strength balloons (well that's my excuse)

1003022_zpsf4e4ed30.jpg1003021_zps18dc0dad.jpg

1003019_zpsff512c58.jpg1003020_zpse803e5dc.jpg

Same commentator as last year, and events were better organised with less waiting time between races

Often the hold-up was one boat failing to start - engines are 'off' until a minute before the red lights goes green

Saw one boat recovered - holed by an opponent's propeller and sunk very quickly, but was recovered and hauled ashore after the race was over.

Overall a great local/community event.

Good tv coverage last night on CTV; last year there was a second race event in April, downstream from the dam about 1km from here, I'll watch out for billboards if it's on again this year.

1003012_zps595e541b.jpg1003013_zpsafa55265.jpg

1003014_zps3cd81306.jpg1003010_zps0a36c2f2.jpg

1003005_zps238cf697.jpg1003004_zps5dba279a.jpg

no one comments on my thread?

What makes a 'successful' thread?

Suggestion: What it is plainly lacking is reference to Hitler, a Nazi-themed boat covered in swastikas!

That was I may get over 17,000 views

However i shall persist with my little 'slice of life' in Thailand threads, whether you like it or not!

Great thread. I wish it had been posted last week so I could have made plans to watch.

That would have made it a successful thread.

I hate reading about what I have just missed out on...

• Like 1

^ watch for the roadside billboards, seems that is often the only way events are advertised; last year there was also racing over the Songkran holiday, a little further along the road below the dam and bridge - as below if you are familiar with the area

Quite a skill running one of the boats, into the corners it reminded me of speedway sidecars with the driver having one hand on the boat, one on the throttle, and his bum out over the water; could so easily go wrong (and it does at times)

I use the phone camera for any interesting looking billboards, snap a pic as a reminder (and get a translation as required)

april_a_zpsefdd4ce9.jpg

Edited by cycloneJ

Same commentator as last year, and events were better organised with less waiting time between races

Often the hold-up was one boat failing to start - engines are 'off' until a minute before the red lights goes green

Saw one boat recovered - holed by an opponent's propeller and sunk very quickly, but was recovered and hauled ashore after the race was over.

Overall a great local/community event.

Good tv coverage last night on CTV; last year there was a second race event in April, downstream from the dam about 1km from here, I'll watch out for billboards if it's on again this year.

Please do, keep me posted , i'd love to go and see this , it looks good fun. unlikely that we will see the billboard ads up here in Klaeng.

Edited by daiwill60