One Killed In Buriram School Attack

webfact

One killed in Buri Ram school attack
SURACHAI PIRAKSA
THE NATION

30201746-01_big.jpg

BURIRAM: -- A group of 10 men yesterday carried out a daring attack against Kan Boriban School's director Watcharapol Thongsiri and other employees in downtown Buri Ram's Muang district.

However, security guards shot the intruders, killing one and injuring two others.

Watcharapol said he believed a rival may be behind the drama, as he was attacked in July last year in a similar daytime raid by two men on a motorbike. At that time, he sustained a knife wound that required 100 stitches.

The yesterday's attack took place at 9.30am when masked men arrived the school on two pick-up trucks and ran toward Watcharapol and other officials while they were hosting a student-orientation ceremony.

Watcharapol and members of staff were able to take shelter in the school building as security guards managed to keep the attackers at bay with gunshots.

Police later collected four knives and several spent bullets at the scene. After checks, they found three of the attackers at the Buri Ram Central Hospital.

One unidentified man succumbed to a fatal injury, while the other two are under police custody.

Police also found that one security guard, identified as Kwanfa Srinarak, 29, was responsible for the shooting. He was also detained.

Later, some teenage boys, mostly aged between 15 and 16, from Nakhon Ratchasima, surrendered to police and claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Police are still investigating the case and checking CCTV footage for what happened.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-12

Another nail in the coffin of the image of Thailand as being full of smiling people with cool hearts who carefully follow the precepts of Buddhism.....

Hahaha could not resist that one. Not really sure if these kind of events are increasing, or due to wider media coverage they are simply reported more.

Be interesting to know what happened to instigate this attack. Generally seems to be either money or revenge....

The machetes to a gun fight thing is pretty funny. In recent stories machetes seem to work better on defenseless farangs rather than armed security guards. Am curious why a rural Isan school would have armed guards, never heard of such a thing. Perhaps this attack was not unexpected.

I am not sure you can blame the Americans for some Thai nutters trying to kill each other over what I expect is something to do with money.

Note to self - probably not a good idea to work at that school unless I have some kind of semi automatic under the desk.

Korat students?? <deleted>?? I wonder what school they attend?

• Like 1

Another nail in the coffin of the image of Thailand as being full of smiling people with cool hearts who carefully follow the precepts of Buddhism.....

Hahaha could not resist that one. Not really sure if these kind of events are increasing, or due to wider media coverage they are simply reported more.

Be interesting to know what happened to instigate this attack. Generally seems to be either money or revenge....

The machetes to a gun fight thing is pretty funny. In recent stories machetes seem to work better on defenseless farangs rather than armed security guards. Am curious why a rural Isan school would have armed guards, never heard of such a thing. Perhaps this attack was not unexpected.

The other paper has it as a revenge/rival school attack, The director of the school had been attacked and stabbed last year in a similar incident. Most likely the need for armed guards as well.

Perhaps the Security Guards need more firepower! I wouldnt like 10 bad ass dudes chasing me with knives and machettes.

Well done to the guards.

BW

well done indeed but they[security] were detained for what self defence.

the target had been attacked before with machete's needing 100 stiches,brave man.

Another fine American culture import

Actually I think you will find (if you stopped to think, and perhaps researched before 'putting pen to paper') that in the US the attackers are normally armed with firearms, however in the UK most school related attacks are knife related? BTW I am English!

Thank you for the compliment. We agree.

Lest you misunderstand our agreement, American culture import meaning when a bunch of thugs armed with knives and machetes attack someone or a group of people, this someone or group of people have a right to defend themselves against deadly force. The term respond in kind comes to mind.

Am curious why a rural Isan school would have armed guards, never heard of such a thing. Perhaps this attack was not unexpected.

The article notes that the school is in "Amphur Muang" of Buriram. Amphur Muang is what the capital city district of every province is called. Amphur is a district one tier below Jangwat (province) - perhaps roughly equiv to a "county" in the US. Muang means the city or capital... (or "country" sometimes as in Muang Thai = Thailand - somebody 'splain THAT!). Anyway, it happened in the main central district of the provincial capital... Not a bustling place like Times Square, per my memories of an afternoon spent there 20 years ago, but not like a village setting, by any means

Mate of mine says it is a nursing college. Didn't picture nurses being a menace, but pretty handy to have one or two along if there's going to be machetes around!

It was on InChannel news this morning. They said it was a nursery school if my hearing was correct.

Am curious why a rural Isan school would have armed guards, never heard of such a thing. Perhaps this attack was not unexpected.

The article notes that the school is in "Amphur Muang" of Buriram. Amphur Muang is what the capital city district of every province is called. Amphur is a district one tier below Jangwat (province) - perhaps roughly equiv to a "county" in the US. Muang means the city or capital... (or "country" sometimes as in Muang Thai = Thailand - somebody 'splain THAT!). Anyway, it happened in the main central district of the provincial capital... Not a bustling place like Times Square, per my memories of an afternoon spent there 20 years ago, but not like a village setting, by any means

Spot on, city centre school, far from a rural setting.

It is also not clear from the article if the guards were employees of the school or not, could have been a close by local business.

Thank you very much for the Thai language lesson - probably unnecessary in the context of the story.

I think we should indeed be grateful that in Thailand there is no constitutional right for the citizenry to bear arms and they don't have the likes of Alex Jones to argue otherwise.

If the administrator did have the right to bare arms they probably wouldn't have tried this in the first place.. When guns are outlawed only the outlaws will have guns!

Mueang is old Thai for 'claimed territory', equivalent to the old English / Norse 'mark' (Denmark = Dane Mark = Dane territory / territory marked out for Danes by Danes). A clue for this lies in the Thai word for mine (as in goldmine), which is also 'mueang' but with a different tone.

In Northern Thailand they call their language Kam-Mueang (Mueang Word = the word of the claimed territories) and refer to themselves as Khon Mueang (Territory people / people who live within the claimed territory), not because they live in cities, but because the modern word for city comes from the old Thai word for a claimed territory. This comes from a time before nation states.

China is still called Mueang Jin in common parlance.

Don't expect all Thais to know this, most of them speak Thai without giving the language much thought like a lot of people all over the world.

Edited by Trembly

Thank you very much for the Thai language lesson - probably unnecessary in the context of the story.

It is relevant as he was explaining that the shooting happened in Buriram City District, not Ban Nowhere in the middle of deepest darkest Isan. Buriram City is likely to have several large educational institutions, the directorships for which would change hands for large sums of money . . .

Edited by Trembly

I suppose these kind of things just don't happen in Tazmania, England, Germany, Norway etc etc:whistling:

Plus, if an american did it you can bet there would be a higher body count; nothing like these amateurs.

Get a grip; get a life.....:clap2:

Yeah, because young thugs in the US can easily get their hands on guns instead of machetes ... there's something to be proud of!

Well boys and girls the guns or machetes are not the issue. It is the young thugs that have not had the proper upbringing being taught respect for other people who just might have a different opinion or lifestyle.

I suppose these kind of things just don't happen in Tazmania, England, Germany, Norway etc etc:whistling:

Plus, if an american did it you can bet there would be a higher body count; nothing like these amateurs.

Get a grip; get a life.....clap2.gif

It would be very interesting if you could cite the last machettes vs guns attack in an English school ?