Three Arrested For Trying To Move 65.8 Kgs Of Heroin From Thailand To Malaysia

webfact

Three arrested for trying to move 65.8 kgs of heroin to Malaysia
By Coconuts Bangkok

350Heroin.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Yesterday, police announced the arrest of three suspects (two Thais, one Malaysian) who allegedly planned to smuggle 65.8 kilograms of heroin into Malaysia.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung told reporters at the Royal Thai Police headquarters in Bangkok that Sakorn and Yanwattana Piasang, a husband and wife from Nan province, had been busted at 1am on Mar. 9 at a police checkpoint on Phetkasem Road in southern Chumphon province.

Police found the drugs in the trunk of their six wheelers. The pair told police that they had picked up the drugs from Chiang Mai’s Mae-eye district in February and were about to deliver them to a Malaysian man in Songkhla’s Hat Yai district.

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/three-arrested-for-trying-to-move-65-8-kgs-of-heroin-to-malaysia/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-03-13

wow thats a huge haul.....

It's larger than the tablespoon depicted in the OP photo.

Here's the Chalerm pointing pic of the bust

190175_zps81db3e0f.jpg

Hard to explain off to the judge that the 145 pounds was, "It was just for personal use, your honor."

Edited by Buchholz

wow thats a huge haul.....

Do you mean by Thai standards? Last year 1,230 lbs of heroin bust happened in Australia. Globally illegal heroin industry is estimated to generate around US$55 - 60 billion a year. 90% of illegally produced heroin sourced from Afghanistan. A few stats approx 37,400 pounds consumed in SEA p.a. & approx 193,600 pounds in Europe, excluding Federation of Russia. OP is better than nothing, but the above puts the bust in perspective.

Edited by simple1

This is a huge bust , bigger than the most well known big time heroin bust, the French Connection bust , which was 112 pounds, in 1962,

Compared to two tons (4000 pounds) of heroin sized in Iran, whilst allegedly in transit from Afghanistan to Europe in January this year?

http://presstv.com/detail/2013/01/01/281241/iran-police-heroin-drugs-seizure-afghanistan-europe/

Edited by simple1

Most likely pure coincidence this note from 2013-03-13:

"During the Skype meeting, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung's face dropped when Thaksin criticised his anti-drug measures saying they were not good enough. "During my time, I had the police run a tight ring; there was checking and rehabilitation so they do not use or sell drugs again,'' he said."

"During the Skype meeting, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung's face dropped when Thaksin criticised his anti-drug measures saying they were not good enough. "During my time, I had the police run a tight ring; there was checking and rehabilitation so they do not use or sell drugs again,'' he said."

I guess about 3000 went to Thaksin's rehabilitation centers, not?

• Like 1

In normal usage, the highlighted "they" would refer to "police". I'm sure that's not what Thaksin meant, as it would severely reduce police income.

Instead of parading this criminal infront of cameras and the press, Chalerm and "his men" should be interrogating him and tracking/stinging his Mr. Big Thai suppliers in Chiang Mai's Mai Eye district. Does Chalerm have the will to go after drug bosses in Thailand? Does the newspaper have the will and the know how to press this issue relentlessly?