Gun Laws

Briandajew

A 12 bore shotgun? You do know that buffalo are not vermin?

Make a catapult like the locals.

I would not recomend a 12 gauge for taking on a buffalo, personally i would use at least a 308 for that but if youre able to aim without a scope the old reliable 30-30 will do good on anything bigger then a farm dog. 12 gauge is for shooting birds and snakes it is also highly efficient for scaring off intruders especially at night time with the barrels shortned down to at least 18" snice it will display a nice firework too then.

I am sorry that i can not answer the question here. I have been asking around about the laws for legally obtained guns but came up with nothing of value at all but if you find something usefull please dont hesitate to drop me pm. Good hunting.

If I knew I was going to be endangered by a large and dangerous animal, my very first choice of gun to have with me would be one of my 12 gauge shotguns. In the Midwest of the US where hunting is popular but the land is fairly flat (as in "The Great Plains") it is illegal to hunt with a center fire rifle due to its long range.

A shotgun with "buck shot" pellets, each about the size of a 9mm bullet, but containing 9 or 12 of them, is devastating out to perhaps 25 - 30 meters. It is the weapon of choice for deer, antelope, elk, bears and even moose.

Better yet is a solid lead slug. It is about 550 grains, about 575 caliber, and travels at a speed of about 1400 feet per second. Talk about a wallop.

My go-to gun would be one of my 12 gauge shotguns with a 22" barrel that's fully rifled and has rifle sights. In that you can shoot something like the Remington brass jacketed Premier Accutip bonded sabot slug which is a jacketed hollow point of the size mentioned above. The difference is that it travels at about 1900 fps and is accurate out to about 200 yards. When it hits something like bone, it expands to about one inch, retaining 95% of its weight. I have seen one knock a grizzly bear on its butt in Alaska. Checkmate.

I agree that at long range, a .308 among other similar good calibers is a dandy. But out to about 200 yards which is home and personal protection range, the bonded sabot slug will hit so hard and tear so badly while burying deeply that a .308 can't come close to the damage.

In particular, I would want my Remington 1100 semi-automatic rifled shotgun with rifle sights, which with it's magazine extension holds 10 rounds, and fires as fast as you can pull the trigger. There is no animal on the planet that could walk or run through that.

• Like 2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, I am sorry that you have not had any helpful replies, par for the course  in this General Topics forum though.

You asked a perfectly valid question and got, for the most part, opinionated, pointless drivel in reply. Just to reassure you that not everyone on T.V. is anti-gun ownership.

The countries in Europe have become so highly regulated, and the people micro-managed, that nearly everything is illegal unless expressly permitted.

One of the pleasures of living here, apart from the weather, is the sense of freedom and lack of over-arching government control.

So the answer is probably you can do what you want on your property, as long as you do not endanger or annoy your neighbours.

If you asked this question in the Farming forum you may have had more helpful replies, as many of the posters there have large plots of land,and no doubt similar problems with rats.

Good shooting!

Thanks - I might post the question in the Farming forum as you suggest - I totally agree with you about not having the "Nanny State" mentality of the government here - It is one of the reasons I live here. Again, I also believe that if you are on your own property, not harming others then get on with it - I don't just mean guns etc. I find those arseholes that drive around in their trucks blaring out music and advertisements at a level that ruins your ears far more offensive than someone quietly killing rats.

I would not recomend a 12 gauge for taking on a buffalo, personally i would use at least a 308 for that but if youre able to aim without a scope the old reliable 30-30 will do good on anything bigger then a farm dog. 12 gauge is for shooting birds and snakes it is also highly efficient for scaring off intruders especially at night time with the barrels shortned down to at least 18" snice it will display a nice firework too then.

I am sorry that i can not answer the question here. I have been asking around about the laws for legally obtained guns but came up with nothing of value at all but if you find something usefull please dont hesitate to drop me pm. Good hunting.

It is very difficult to find out the law regarding shooting on your own land - after all, practice makes perfect. - No point in having a gun for home protection or any other reason if you are unable to learn the characteristics of the thing when you might need it most.

Edited by Briandajew
  • Like 1

If I knew I was going to be endangered by a large and dangerous animal, my very first choice of gun to have with me would be one of my 12 gauge shotguns. In the Midwest of the US where hunting is popular but the land is fairly flat (as in "The Great Plains") it is illegal to hunt with a center fire rifle due to its long range.

A shotgun with "buck shot" pellets, each about the size of a 9mm bullet, but containing 9 or 12 of them, is devastating out to perhaps 25 - 30 meters. It is the weapon of choice for deer, antelope, elk, bears and even moose.

Better yet is a solid lead slug. It is about 550 grains, about 575 caliber, and travels at a speed of about 1400 feet per second. Talk about a wallop.

My go-to gun would be one of my 12 gauge shotguns with a 22" barrel that's fully rifled and has rifle sights. In that you can shoot something like the Remington brass jacketed Premier Accutip bonded sabot slug which is a jacketed hollow point of the size mentioned above. The difference is that it travels at about 1900 fps and is accurate out to about 200 yards. When it hits something like bone, it expands to about one inch, retaining 95% of its weight. I have seen one knock a grizzly bear on its butt in Alaska. Checkmate.

I agree that at long range, a .308 among other similar good calibers is a dandy. But out to about 200 yards which is home and personal protection range, the bonded sabot slug will hit so hard and tear so badly while burying deeply that a .308 can't come close to the damage.

In particular, I would want my Remington 1100 semi-automatic rifled shotgun with rifle sights, which with it's magazine extension holds 10 rounds, and fires as fast as you can pull the trigger. There is no animal on the planet that could walk or run through that.

You sound like you are living in "Heaven" - it must be one of the really good things about living in the USA if you like guns, hunting and the outdoors. When we were kids we were brought up with Air guns in the UK, we had pistols, rifles, great fun - I remember playing cops and robbers with my brother when we were about 13 or 14 - stuffed the barrels full of long grain rice - yes it stings when it hits you but it was a good laugh. Virtually impossible to have a gun in the UK these days, sad really, the place is now a sad nanny state that caters to illegal immigrants, the lazy, the workshy and the benefit for life brigade whilst dropping a turd on the average working people who just want to get a bit better out of life.

About a year ago, I "acquired" a 12 gauge Chinese made pistol, it was a frightening thing to shoot as it appeared to be almost home made - I was able to get a hold of some Winchester "00" 12 gauge Buckshot, it had a kick like a mule but with a 6" barrel was a little on the inaccurate side - You would miss a 50 Gallon tank at 10 yards, but if anyone came a calling in the dead of night - the sound and the flash when that thing went off would have made the dead run for cover - Sadly, my wife took it upon herself to throw it in the river one day.

Edited by Briandajew
  • Like 1

Here's my own experience. I hope it helps.

If you are to buy a new gun, put a deposit on it and take the details to you Amphur office. Ask you wife to apply for a licence. Foreigners can have licences but the questions regarding need are more stringent. Only the Amphur boss can approve applications. A second hand gun can be taken away in advance of the licence application. The reason is that new guns must first have a Thai serial number stamped on them. Carry licences are subject to more rigorous questioning.

The licence holder can use the gun for self-protection within the bounds of his property. A foreigner whose wife holds the licence can use the gun to protect her, himself or their property. Shooting vermin on a big plot or practice shots are unlikely to draw attention unless you have upset a neighbour.

I believe that effective self-defence equipment will become more important as scooter boys runs out of funds from his aging parents. I used to think that close range equipment was enough but I now think that intruders need to be dealt with at a distance.

For defence in the house, I suggest a revolver, .222 or .38. Easy to maintain and won't won't jam. A long barreled gun s difficult to use indoors and, if you hit an intruder, you will mess up your walls.

For use on the land, including dealing with vermin and target practice, I suggest a .22 semi-automatic such as a CZ, perhaps with telescopic sights. A shotgun is too imprecise.

If you are new to guns, join a gun club that rents guns similar to your own and gives both tuition and supervision. Carry laws aren't then an issue. You should have a suitable safe, on sale in BKK. Never keep a loaded gun unless you expect to use it imminently. We have our revolver available to use while we are at home. It's unloaded but the quick-load magazine is to hand also.

No need to see a lawyer. An ignore those with a bee in their bonnets.

Good luck with your purchase.

Edited by Morden
  • Like 2

If you are to buy a new gun, put a deposit on it and take the details to you Amphur office. Ask you wife to apply for a licence. Foreigners can have licences but the questions regarding need are more stringent. Only the Amphur boss can approve applications. A second hand gun can be taken away in advance of the licence application. The reason is that new guns must first have a Thai serial number stamped on them. Carry licences are subject to more rigorous questioning.

The licence holder can use the gun for self-protection within the bounds of his property. A foreigner whose wife holds the licence can use the gun to protect her, himself or their property. Shooting vermin on a big plot or practice shots are unlikely to draw attention unless you have upset a neighbour.

I believe that effective self-defence equipment will become more important as scooter boys runs out of funds from his aging parents. I used to think that close range equipment was enough but I now think that intruders need to be dealt with at a distance.

For defence in the house, I suggest a revolver, .222 or .38. Easy to maintain and won't won't jam. A long barreled gun s difficult to use indoors and, if you hit an intruder, you will mess up your walls.

For use on the land, including dealing with vermin and target practice, I suggest a .22 semi-automatic such as a CZ, perhaps with telescopic sights. A shotgun is too imprecise.

If you are new to guns, join a gun club that rents guns similar to your own and gives both tuition and supervision. Carry laws aren't then an issue. You should have a suitable safe, on sale in BKK. Never keep a loaded gun unless you expect to use it imminently. We have our revolver available to use while we are at home. It's unloaded but the quick-load magazine is to hand also.

Thanks a lot for your advice! I didn't realize that the foreign husband was allowed to use it, I only thought it was the wife (who it is registered to) You live and learn! A.38 would be my choice for a hangun, but I still personally would prefer the 12 gauge mainly for the versatility - I could put in bird pellets for shooting vermin, and "00" Buck for home protection (I wanted to get a 12 gauge where I could load alternate rounds - 1 pellet then one buckshot just in case the first one doesn't scare them off, but unless they were on crack or Ya Ba most people would probably just run after the sound of the first shot)- Walls here are not a problem, they are all wood and we are well away from neighbours, the rooms are 4 x 4M and the main entrance is via 2x 2M doors into a 8M x 8M room with no corridors,and everyone is in one area at night. I would never keep the gun loaded as I have a young lad at home, but I could keep it in an easily accessible place out of kids reach with the shells in a separate but handy location. However, now that my son is 12, I don't think it is too young to teach them about firearms anyway, if they know how to use them and what the damage that they can do, then it makes sense to me to teach them to use it safely and not mess around with one like it is some sort of toy!

I totally agree with you about the scooter boys! We have already had two pretty nasty attacks around here, one was on Channel 7 News last week where they beat up this TINY lady in a garage for her gold rings, and another old lady maybe 70 in her shop for the same reason.

Being a foreigner here, we are already perceived to be wealthy, where I live there is little else surrounding us and it would be a bit of peace of mind at night. I keep my money in the bank, I don't own gold or any of that stuff, so they would be a bit disappointed if they came here to rob me unless they wanted a 12 year old pick up and a couple of old Honda engines. It would take at least 15 minutes to get a cop out here and locals won't come near at night as they are shit scared of the trees on our land as they believe them to posses spirits, so there would be no help there!

Thanks for your post, interesting.

Did your wife get the gun permit and did it take much hassle/bribes....do you know about ammunition? what are you allowed to keep? For example, if I bought a 12 gauge, could I buy the birdshot and the buckshot? or are you limited to what type and quantity you can keep at home?

It still at the end of the day becomes a pretty grey area when it comes down to legally using it for target practice or shooting rats etc. on your own land - What constitutes pissing off a Thai??? They can be all friendly one minute then give you the hate stare the next - they change their opinions like the wind! - I need to dig a bit deeper.

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

Edited by Briandajew

Thanks a lot for your advice! I didn't realize that the foreign husband was allowed to use it, I only thought it was the wife (who it is registered to) You live and learn! A.38 would be my choice for a hangun, but I still personally would prefer the 12 gauge mainly for the versatility - I could put in bird pellets for shooting vermin, and "00" Buck for home protection (I wanted to get a 12 gauge where I could load alternate rounds - 1 pellet then one buckshot just in case the first one doesn't scare them off, but unless they were on crack or Ya Ba most people would probably just run after the sound of the first shot)- Walls here are not a problem, they are all wood and we are well away from neighbours, the rooms are 4 x 4M and the main entrance is via 2x 2M doors into a 8M x 8M room with no corridors,and everyone is in one area at night. I would never keep the gun loaded as I have a young lad at home, but I could keep it in an easily accessible place out of kids reach with the shells in a separate but handy location. However, now that my son is 12, I don't think it is too young to teach them about firearms anyway, if they know how to use them and what the damage that they can do, then it makes sense to me to teach them to use it safely and not mess around with one like it is some sort of toy!

I totally agree with you about the scooter boys! We have already had two pretty nasty attacks around here, one was on Channel 7 News last week where they beat up this TINY lady in a garage for her gold rings, and another old lady maybe 70 in her shop for the same reason.

Being a foreigner here, we are already perceived to be wealthy, where I live there is little else surrounding us and it would be a bit of peace of mind at night. I keep my money in the bank, I don't own gold or any of that stuff, so they would be a bit disappointed if they came here to rob me unless they wanted a 12 year old pick up and a couple of old Honda engines. It would take at least 15 minutes to get a cop out here and locals won't come near at night as they are shit scared of the trees on our land as they believe them to posses spirits, so there would be no help there!

Did your wife get the gun permit and did it take much hassle/bribes....do you know about ammunition? what are you allowed to keep? For example, if I bought a 12 gauge, could I buy the birdshot and the buckshot? or are you limited to what type and quantity you can keep at home?

It still at the end of the day becomes a pretty grey area when it comes down to legally using it for target practice or shooting rats etc. on your own land - What constitutes pissing off a Thai??? They can be all friendly one minute then give you the hate stare the next - they change their opinions like the wind! - I need to dig a bit deeper.

Cheers!

Welcome.

If you are keen on a shotgun, have a look at the Remington pump action 12 bore. I've handled a couple of five cartridge ones and they feel good. Think about the barrel length for indoor use. Perhaps you can get a sawn off version. I don't know what cartridge types you can buy.

Show your son what happens to a water melon and he'll soon learn to respect weapons. Do keep you gun locked in a safe, though, when he's around.

Scooter boys high on booze will be a problem rather than the others. Be prepared to stop them with a well aimed shot or two.They think that we are living in houses stacked high with cash and gold and we are seeing the consequences of their belief already. Even if we don't keep valuables around, that won't stop them believing that we are worth a pop.Even the 'normal' ones seem to hate us on will stare from under the trees as we drive by. There is also the issue of illegal guns that they possess. Roadside killings are not so uncommon but we have little defence other than to avoid confrontation.

We heard gun shots from close by just before the strike of New Year and again a few evenings later. That was probably a piss head firing into the air. imagine being there if he didn't like farang. I stay away from village piss up parties.

We still await a licence and cannot buy a new second gun. The reason is that the Amphur boss has retired, no-one has yet offered enough money for the job and the responsibility has not been delegated. Bugger really but we are legal with the gun's documentation.

if you want an introduction  to a gun dealer and a club. PM me your location and if you are nearby, I'd be glad to help.

• Like 1

Cheers!

Welcome.

If you are keen on a shotgun, have a look at the Remington pump action 12 bore. I've handled a couple of five cartridge ones and they feel good. Think about the barrel length for indoor use. Perhaps you can get a sawn off version. I don't know what cartridge types you can buy.

Show your son what happens to a water melon and he'll soon learn to respect weapons. Do keep you gun locked in a safe, though, when he's around.

Scooter boys high on booze will be a problem rather than the others. Be prepared to stop them with a well aimed shot or two.They think that we are living in houses stacked high with cash and gold and we are seeing the consequences of their belief already. Even if we don't keep valuables around, that won't stop them believing that we are worth a pop.Even the 'normal' ones seem to hate us on will stare from under the trees as we drive by. There is also the issue of illegal guns that they possess. Roadside killings are not so uncommon but we have little defence other than to avoid confrontation.

We heard gun shots from close by just before the strike of New Year and again a few evenings later. That was probably a piss head firing into the air. imagine being there if he didn't like farang. I stay away from village piss up parties.

We still await a licence and cannot buy a new second gun. The reason is that the Amphur boss has retired, no-one has yet offered enough money for the job and the responsibility has not been delegated. Bugger really but we are legal with the gun's documentation.

if you want an introduction  to a gun dealer and a club. PM me your location and if you are nearby, I'd be glad to help.

That was the point I was making, even if you keep no valuables at home, they automatically think you are King Midas! That worries me, even if you wanted to give them some cash to get them to disappear and you couldn't where does that leave you? I foresee  a lot of shit coming the Farangs way in the next months / years as it is obvious they only really want us to spend our money and piss off, if you live here then you are a target, as are many wealthy Thais, who however, probably have a gun!

I have been here almost 11  or so years, and have seen the deterioration in living standards, the borrowing, they then cannot pay back, then they go out on the rob - A bit like the scum in the UK and other countries, I don't want to become an easy target, simple as that.

You sound like you are living in "Heaven" - it must be one of the really good things about living in the USA if you like guns, hunting and the outdoors. When we were kids we were brought up with Air guns in the UK, we had pistols, rifles, great fun - I remember playing cops and robbers with my brother when we were about 13 or 14 - stuffed the barrels full of long grain rice - yes it stings when it hits you but it was a good laugh. Virtually impossible to have a gun in the UK these days, sad really, the place is now a sad nanny state that caters to illegal immigrants, the lazy, the workshy and the benefit for life brigade whilst dropping a turd on the average working people who just want to get a bit better out of life.

About a year ago, I "acquired" a 12 gauge Chinese made pistol, it was a frightening thing to shoot as it appeared to be almost home made - I was able to get a hold of some Winchester "00" 12 gauge Buckshot, it had a kick like a mule but with a 6" barrel was a little on the inaccurate side - You would miss a 50 Gallon tank at 10 yards, but if anyone came a calling in the dead of night - the sound and the flash when that thing went off would have made the dead run for cover - Sadly, my wife took it upon herself to throw it in the river one day.

Good to hear your wife is smart.

• Like 1

My favorite right-wing paranoid fantasy: civilians with shotguns fighting off an evil government armed with aircraft carriers, drones, tanks, amphibious attack vehicles, stealth bombers, and nuclear warheads (for starters).

No, when a government decides to massacre citizens, it doesn't use weapons that would also destroy the infrastructure. It tries to round up individuals and kill them with conventional means - the same means the citizens might have. Think back to the Jews in WWII and Pol Pot.

Not only that, but citizens so far outnumber any authority that they do have a fighting chance. For instance, in the US there are fewer than 2 million military, and they are scattered all over the world. There are many who have already said they wouldn't attack American citizens anyway. Some of those people are their friends and family.

On the other hand there are estimated to be 90 million citizen gun owners, owning at least 250 million guns and the stockpiling of ammunition is international news.

The Jews first obediently turned in their guns. If they hadn't and had instead fought, the 6 million might not have died.

I might add that those who are most anti-gun are the liberals who are then least able to do anything to those who are armed.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Someone mentioned that a shotgun is too inaccurate. Someone mentioned that one should use a handgun inside a home for defense, partly due to not penetrating walls.

There is a reason that goose and duck hunters use a shotgun. The same reason would be valid for rats and snakes. You only need to hit with one pellet. The shotgun shot makes a pattern with no hole in it big enough to miss the target within the range of the weapon. It would be a lot easier to hit such an animal with a shotgun.

As for going through walls, anything powerful enough to penetrate an animal including a bad guy is powerful enough to penetrate an interior wall unless the wall is concrete and then it doesn't matter unless it it hollow block. Hollow block won't stop much. It's too porous and brittle.

All shotgun makers that I know of make a model with an 18.5 inch (46 cm?) barrel. It is for self defense. A shotgun with 00 buck shot is far more powerful and far easier to aim than a typical handgun. Most people suck with a handgun, especially perhaps in low light and with adrenaline flowing. It is a lot easier to point a shotgun. Inside a home, the shot won't spread far enough that all the shot won't hit the perp.

• Like 1

My favorite right-wing paranoid fantasy: civilians with shotguns fighting off an evil government armed with aircraft carriers, drones, tanks, amphibious attack vehicles, stealth bombers, and nuclear warheads (for starters).

No, when a government decides to massacre citizens, it doesn't use weapons that would also destroy the infrastructure. It tries to round up individuals and kill them with conventional means - the same means the citizens might have. Think back to the Jews in WWII and Pol Pot.

Not only that, but citizens so far outnumber any authority that they do have a fighting chance. For instance, in the US there are fewer than 2 million military, and they are scattered all over the world. There are many who have already said they wouldn't attack American citizens anyway. Some of those people are their friends and family.

On the other hand there are estimated to be 90 million citizen gun owners, owning at least 250 million guns and the stockpiling of ammunition is international news.

The Jews first obediently turned in their guns. If they hadn't and had instead fought, the 6 million might not have died.

I might add that those who are most anti-gun are the liberals who are then least able to do anything to those who are armed.

It's worse than I thought...

Are you likening the US to Nazi Germany?

Perhaps Americans would do better than using fantasies such as that by looking at the real issues.  They are buying foreign goods and giving away their jobs to Asia. That's the real threat. The world is changing and , instead of hiding from that fact behind guff such as spurious open gun ownership debate, perhaps the should learn about their new place in the world.

Anyway, your post is way off topic.

Perhaps Americans would do better than using fantasies such as that by looking at the real issues.  They are buying foreign goods and giving away their jobs to Asia. That's the real threat. The world is changing and , instead of hiding from that fact behind guff such as spurious open gun ownership debate, perhaps the should learn about their new place in the world.

Perhaps Europe and Australia have enough to worry about without worrying about American culture, which is none of their business.

The topic is about guns and self defense in Thailand, I believe. I happen to know a little about guns and self defense. It's apparent to me that there are some people here who don't. I think I've added quite a bit of good information to the topic, and I know what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

Perhaps Europe and Australia have enough to worry about without worrying about American culture, which is none of their business.

The topic is about guns and self defense in Thailand, I believe. I happen to know a little about guns and self defense. It's apparent to me that there are some people here who don't. I think I've added quite a bit of good information to the topic, and I know what I'm talking about.

This is an pen forum and anyone can chip in. If you want to discuss Europe and Australia, do so. Perhaps you would start a new thread.

The OP starts a topic about his rights and obligations about using certain types of guns in Thailand. Fair enough topic and the OP is to be commended for trying to work out ways if doing things by the book.

Who would have thought, within a few pages now we are talking about paranoid fantasy. Am waiting for lines on UN new world order, black UN choppers and discussion on the survivalists guide to long term food storage and the decent into hell for this thread will be complete.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I do apologize for biting when baited about guns.

In fact, this topic isn't at all about the wisdom or any personal opinion about owning guns. The OP wanted to know about the laws, and said he was thinking of a 12 gauge shotgun. That's the topic, but the very second post was an anti-gun smart ass remark.

We do have differences about owning guns, but the topic isn't open for that. The OP wants to know how to own a 12 gauge shotgun.

Again, I am happy to have contributed some knowledge about weapon choices when that came up, but I do apologize for going off topic.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

if you want to deal with vermin, maybe consider a good precision air/pellet rifle ?

I know Mark from Jomtien supplies them via his website, legal and probably alot more cheap than real rifles anyways (ammo is cheap too). I have not tried any of his high-powered air rifles as of yet.

look up thailand airsoft on google, he does educational movies also on youtube. I have no affiliation with this company, I am a customer of this e-shop as I have ordered 2 handgun to play Airsoft.

cheers,

Thats correct Tontaz....

I had a snake that was scaring the kids and no matter what I tried, I couldnt get it to bugger off. I took it out with my trusty Beretta PX4.

Most guns you buy at the market wont put a hole in a paper bag... I have one to demo it against a real airsoft gun. The difference is like day and night.

And thanks for the plug...

Cheers

• 7 months later...
U have to change nationality if you want a gun in your name

Then even this people that carry licensed guns outside there house can be arrested

Take to court

Fined then get their gun back

If you are a forang and you want to get your misses to buy for you in her name then you get the same trouble for carrying one with a license in someone else's name as gun with no license

The only way a licensed gun in your misses name is that if it is in her car then if your lawyer can argue that she put it in but forgot to take it out then you may get off but expect a night in jail and spend allot of money

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

A 12 gauge for rats and cans?? hahahaahahahahahahaah

A shotgun for rats,wow.

Rats are fairly small and can be moving, and moving pretty fast. Most people aren't all that expert with a rifle, much less a hand gun.

A shotgun with #6 bird shot is ideal, for the same reason it's ideal for birds and snakes.

Next put some 00 buck shot in it (designed to kill a deer) or a rifled slug and you have your defensive weapon.

If I could own only one long gun, it would be a 12 ga shotgun, which is what the OP asked about.

A 12 gauge for rats and cans?? hahahaahahahahahahaah

A shotgun for rats,wow.

Rats are fairly small and can be moving, and moving pretty fast. Most people aren't all that expert with a rifle, much less a hand gun.

A shotgun with #6 bird shot is ideal, for the same reason it's ideal for birds and snakes.

Next put some 00 buck shot in it (designed to kill a deer) or a rifled slug and you have your defensive weapon.

If I could own only one long gun, it would be a 12 ga shotgun, which is what the OP asked about.

lol! that makes two of you!!

• Like 1

I don't know where to start.

Neversure - Well Said.

Briandajew - Great story.

Mordens - Fascinating information.

In the US they have sold 10,000,000 Remington 870s. Nuff said.

Hands down no doubt about it...A shotgun is best for home defense.

12 Gauge is probably too big for home defense. I don't know you can get ammo or even a 20 gauge around here.

Great thread!!

I don't know where to start.

Neversure - Well Said.

Briandajew - Great story.

Mordens - Fascinating information.

In the US they have sold 10,000,000 Remington 870s. Nuff said.

12 Gauge is probably too big for home defense. I don't know you can get ammo or even a 20 gauge around here.

Great thread!!

a farang using a firearm in thailand and claiming home defense? the authorities will love that one

That depends on the operator, in my opinion.

In 99% of the cases (rough estimate based on arbitrary speculation and prejudice) a weapon achieves nothing but the exact opposite.

The remaining 1% are the people who are trained in weapons, which also suggests that the very same people knows how to manage a situation without a weapon.

But personally I'd go for something like the Ithaca 37:

Ithaca_37_Shotgun_by_Dbl_Dzl.jpg