Where To Buy Organic Meat

Moderator, if it is the wrong forum please move it...

I am staying in Bangkok, organic vegetables and eggs can be found, but where do I get organic chicken, pork or even beef?

Beside that it is healthier, I also want to support it. (I have a big deep freezer so I could easily buy more at one time)

Hi h90,

I may be able to help with pork, mind you there are no organic standards for specific meats, just general husbandry standards. If ethical standards of husbandry and drug free pigs interest you, drop me a PM.

IsaanAussie

Hi IsaanAussie,

my minimum standard is:

that the pigs get some "normal" food, not the extra turbo food and grow slower. Of course no problem if there is a bit add of high protein food.

No drugs, specially not before killing it. No tricks for keep extra water in the meat. (just had some "natural pork from the market" which had way to much water, don't know what they did)

A "friendly" way of killing, beside that I really don't like the cruel, the meat quality is not the same if the pig is scared to dead...

what I would love to have:

that a happy black hair pig, running around outside. I saw plenty of these in the south. Eating mostly the neighbors vegetable and the restaurants left overs.

How much I can take? goooood question. I have a large deep freezer, if I take out everything, I don't know how much can fit it in: half a pig? complete pig?

(are the Thai pigs smaller? young pig is something like 100 kg dead in my imagination)

Now it get difficult.....I would need it separated and delivered....but of course willing to pay for that.

Question is also if I can be picky on the parts I want or if I must take everything?

If I think hard, I should be able to process liver, kidney, brain, but I am so terrible busy in the office that I would rather avoid it if I can.

But would love to take the extra amount of fat if it is natural (I know they are really fat). And of course I know from Austria that these more natural pigs have a stronger taste. Some people who aren't used to it may not like it, but I do.

What do you think? Does that sound do-able or am I to difficult?

h90,

OK your needs are easily met but we need to take this offline. If you check my profile my hotmail address is listed.

I breed Durocs, the red to brown US breed and they are breed and raised for 5 star restaurant marbling levels. Our feed regime is based on using cheap commercial feeds to ensure a minimum of antibiotic and growth promotion unknowns are involved. Our pigs grow at a natural pace for the breed, we do not have high performance hybrid pigs. Probiotics used in the drinking water and farm made feed supplements, all uncertified but fully organic to aid digestion are brewed on farm. The story on this will bore some readers, so enough for now.

Our slaughtering and temperature control achieves minimum moisture, colour and ph loss or we do not ship. Not fancy but effective without stressing my pigs. We can freeze meat but perfer to ship fresh meat post postmortem. Pigs are slaughtered and processed into primal cuts, with internals and even blood seperately handled. We ship on ice overnight direct door to door. Every pig we ship carried a personal provenance statement detailing its history. We stand by our products.

A lot more to talk about, but not publically.

Regards

IA

Edited by IsaanAussie

Hi Isaan Aussie,

while it sounds like real good quality, it isn't organic. Not what I am looking for:

"Livestock feed

Producers must provide livestock with a total feed ration composed of agricultural products, including

pasture and forage, that are organically produced and, if applicable, organically handled:"

"Animals must have access to the outdoors,

shade, shelter, exercise areas, fresh air, and direct sunlight suitable to the species, its stage of production,

the climate, and the environment."

From one American standard for organic pork: http://www.pork.org/filelibrary/Factsheets/PIGFactsheets/NEWfactSheets/11-04-02g.pdf

Having pens for 4 is of course great improvement for Thailand but not the same as letting them play outside. And cheap commercial feed isn't organic as well.

Don't understand me wrong. What you do is great but not what I am looking for.

Understand completely h90.

The US certification standards are referred to here as are Australian and European standards, but are simply not possible to comply with. My sty is fitted with external gates so the pigs can have time outside but it is a far step from free range. In my opinion the village roaming free range pigs you see here are just as far away from the standard. Commercial feed could be certified but for the traceable of ingredients. The largest issue for me personally is the inclusive of GMO crops like roundup ready corn. There is no way of knowing here and I for one would not bet against it.

With white pigs sunburning so easily and soil borne pathogens so persistant, complete compliance is near impossible. Probably why a Thai standard is so difficult to write so it could be complied to.

Good luck, you face a tough job finding what you are looking for and an honest man to sell it to you.

to much water, don't know what they did

You can buy a powder to feed pigs just before sale. It makes them drink copious amounts of water and retain fluids. That's one way. The other is in the open storage of fresh killed meat. The temperature remains too high and moist is lost from the meat giving it a wet appearance and greaseness.

How many in a big chest freezer?

If you storing in primal pieces and insides as I do, 2 by 100kg pigs

Its all very well to quote American organic meat standards, but are you prepared to pay the 600-700 baht per kg that organic pork goes for in the USA.I think not.

Well in Austria I did buy organic meat, now it is even in the supermarkets....so it is not that exotic. And yes I am willing to pay a lot if the quality is good.

But I doubt that Mr. Somchai is charging 60.000 Baht for his black pig that makes the neighbors so furious....

Understand completely h90.

The US certification standards are referred to here as are Australian and European standards, but are simply not possible to comply with. My sty is fitted with external gates so the pigs can have time outside but it is a far step from free range. In my opinion the village roaming free range pigs you see here are just as far away from the standard. Commercial feed could be certified but for the traceable of ingredients. The largest issue for me personally is the inclusive of GMO crops like roundup ready corn. There is no way of knowing here and I for one would not bet against it.

With white pigs sunburning so easily and soil borne pathogens so persistant, complete compliance is near impossible. Probably why a Thai standard is so difficult to write so it could be complied to.

Good luck, you face a tough job finding what you are looking for and an honest man to sell it to you.

yes I think such things are only possible in very small scale. In the south it is rubber farmer, who let some pigs run around, but they sell only the small piglets (are they called piglets??) as rising some pigs is not worth the hassle as they tell. So they keep one female for a couple of years and than get a new one.

To my surprise it get pregnant on "its own". So there must be some wild pigs around.

Yes I know some of the natural pigs on the market are from CP....not different than the supermarket (+hygienic problems, +some very bad practice (for example spraying it with insect spray).

IsaanAussie, on 17 Mar 2013 - 12:09, said:

to much water, don't know what they did

You can buy a powder to feed pigs just before sale. It makes them drink copious amounts of water and retain fluids. That's one way. The other is in the open storage of fresh killed meat. The temperature remains too high and moist is lost from the meat giving it a wet appearance and greaseness.

How many in a big chest freezer?

If you storing in primal pieces and insides as I do, 2 by 100kg pigs

Back in the 70-80s it was common to give them a lot salt and than a lot to drink to gain a few kg.

Now I don't know if someone got already the idea to give the pig salt and some vasopressin so the pigs kidney does not take the water out....wouldn't surprise me.

In Ham you can easily inject enormous amounts of water with the right chemicals, but don't know if someone is doing it for meat.

My pharmacist told me that his mother (who was also pharmacist, but sold meat after the war) used KMnO4 to make fresh pink meat out of smelling old grey meat.

Don't know if it is still done in Thailand....wouldn't surprise me. After seeing spraying the flies from the pork with the insect spray, nothing will surprise me anymore.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I hope it's OK to bump an somewhat older thread. I'm desperately seeking for Organic or Free range chicken breasts. All I've found so far was Royal Thai Project, but they sell their chicken at 395b per kg. That includes legs and everything, so insanely pricey. Does anyone know where to buy chicken?

Also looking for stuff like rabbit, and wild game. Even Water buffalo lol. As long as it isn't pen fed, antibiotics free, hormone free and no chemical feed.

Help will be much appreciated.