Songkran Is Around The Corner; Is Chiang Mai Really The Best Place In Thailand For It?

rideswings

IMO, Chiang Mai should be avoided during Songkran. Mainly because it goes on and on for far too many days.

Hello

I am moving to CM this April and have managed to plan on arriving exactly at Songkran by accident. Luckily though, my flight is not booked yet so I can come after. I am flying into Bangkok then taking the train up to CM a few days later.

What would your advice be on the best date to arrive in BKK and then to travel by train to CM to avoid Songkran? I see it falls on a weekend this year and have read that people extend the festival by the days they lose at the weekend into the following week.

I'd like to avoid being soaked on arrival and contracting a disease from the moat! (however, if I do stay for a year, it would make an amazing way to say goodbye to CM!)

Thanks...

Seems you are new to Thailand, Songkhran is a national holiday I am sure they will celebrate it in Bangkok also. Maybe not to the extent as we do here in the moat area but you do not have to go to the moat area.

Chiang Mai is a much larger city than the moat area. You might want to do a little research on it before you come.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would your advice be on the best date to arrive in BKK and then to travel by train to CM to avoid Songkran? I see it falls on a weekend this year and have read that people extend the festival by the days they lose at the weekend into the following week.

The days off, yes. The actual festival celebrations, no. Those end on the late afternoon / early evening of the 15th.

Seems you are new to Thailand, Songkhran is a national holiday I am sure they will celebrate it in Bangkok also. Maybe not to the extent as we do here in the moat area but you do not have to go to the moat area.

Chiang Mai is a much larger city than the moat area. You might want to do a little research on it before you come.

Ehmm... even outside the moat area, there really is no avoiding it. :thumbsup:

Of course there is no rule that Thailand has to be for everyone; if the major cultural and religious event of the year is something to be avoided, then maybe a larger rethink is required.

There's no smog during songkran

I noticed that.

Pretty much of a way to wave a flag saying he has never been here for songkhran. His loss.

As a previous poster said many of us long time residents avoid it but we have enjoyed it at one time or another. Now If I go out it is in a pick up truck with kids on the back and a barrel of water.

I sincerely hope the OP gets to enjoy it at least once.

If it is to short a period I am told Pattaya last one week longer. But that city is noted for fun of one kind or another.

It lasts about 10 days there - I still enjoy it but not for 10 days!!!

There's no smog during songkran

I noticed that.

Pretty much of a way to wave a flag saying he has never been here for songkhran. His loss.

As a previous poster said many of us long time residents avoid it but we have enjoyed it at one time or another. Now If I go out it is in a pick up truck with kids on the back and a barrel of water.

I sincerely hope the OP gets to enjoy it at least once.

If it is to short a period I am told Pattaya last one week longer. But that city is noted for fun of one kind or another.

It lasts about 10 days there - I still enjoy it but not for 10 days!!!

Yeah, that's the main reason why Songkran sucks in Pattaya, relatively speaking. The official Chonburi Songkran days are a week later, but then some people also celebrate on the regular days. Meaning you have a long period of 'diluted' Songkran, with no single time where everyone is out partying. There are always people who really don't want to join and act aggressively to people even just holding a bucket or water gun. And there are other more minor reasons too. (They don't stop at night, no easily accessible water supply unless you want to run to the beach all the time, etc.)

For Chiang Mai it's just 4 days (12-13-14-15), with if you're really desperate then you can probably find some bargirls in the Loi Kroh area who will do some splashing on the afternoon of the 11th.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Is anyone able to answer my question without making inacurate judgement calls or being sarcastic? Thsi forum really is like no other!

I'll ask it again - when will Songkran end completely, both in Bangkok and in Chiang Mai. That's taking into consideration the official dates, the extended dates and the overspill of party revelers who just don't want to let it go...

And if anyone says, "do some reserach" agian, I'll track them down and squirt them in the face with a full pistol of moat water.

Someone normal please answer - thanks..... wai2.gif

Quoted verbatim from my post just below your question:

The days off, yes. The actual festival celebrations, no. Those end on the late afternoon / early evening of the 15th.

And I extended that with:

For Chiang Mai it's just 4 days (12-13-14-15), with if you're really desperate then you can probably find some bargirls in the Loi Kroh area who will do some splashing on the afternoon of the 11th.

Please read before accusing your fellow forum members of not answering your question. If you're still not happy with the service though then don't hesitate to ask for a full refund.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Quoted verbatim from my post just below your question:

And I extended that with:

Please read before accusing your fellow forum members of not answering your question. If you're still not happy with the service though then don't hesitate to ask for a full refund.

But if the 13th and 14th are a Saturday and Sunday, doesn't that mean they will carry it forward an extra two days of the following week, i.e. incluidng the 16th and 17th?

Thanks.