Renewing Thai Driver's Licence (Residence Certificate)

Guest siamjourney

Guest siamjourney

To renew they want a residence certificate. Will one certificate suffice if you are renewing both a motorcycle and a car drivers license on the same day? I know this sounds like a silly question but this is Thailand...

Guest siamjourney

Thanks kalbo123. When I went yesterday they said I didn't need the medical cert for my 5 year renewal. Just residence, passport, and old licenses. Oh, and I'm supposed to watch a one hour comedy movie about Thai driving laws. Has anyone seen this fine film? They forgot to tell me to watch the movie when I got my original licenses but I still managed to pass the written test. Educated guesses...most of the multiple choice questions had more than one answer that might be correct!

Guest siamjourney

"You will require both a residency certificate for the motorbike and the car."

But one official certificate from a consulate is okay for both licenses?

some of your questions will be answered here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626290-buying-a-motorbike-without-driving-licence-problems/

You will require both a residency certificate for the motorbike and the car.

I thought you only needed one provided that it is written on the certificate 'for motorcycle and car licence'.

However, err on the side of caution as it's 500 extra baht in immigration's pocket (no receipt will be given).

One original with a copy is ok for both renewals. 2 copies will not work, I tried it 3 weeks ago and she wanted 1 original.

When I got the original, I got 2 done at the same time (i needed one for something else) 500 baht for the 2. I'm under the impression that is an exception rather than the rule though.

Edited by dickyknee
  • Like 1

Thanks kalbo123. When I went yesterday they said I didn't need the medical cert for my 5 year renewal. Just residence, passport, and old licenses. Oh, and I'm supposed to watch a one hour comedy movie about Thai driving laws. Has anyone seen this fine film? They forgot to tell me to watch the movie when I got my original licenses but I still managed to pass the written test. Educated guesses...most of the multiple choice questions had more than one answer that might be correct!

So I gather that one needs to take the written test again to get the 5 year license?

So I gather that one needs to take the written test again to get the 5 year license?
No, not the written test. Just the computer reaction tests, eye color test, and watch the video.

• 6 months later...