Dvt & Compression Socks

JusMe

We recently had a long thread reviewing the horrors of DVT (deep vein thrombosis) caused by lack of movement on long flights.

Keep up the aspirin before flying to thin the blood, do your best to move about the aircraft, get lots of water and minimal amounts of alcohol, and use compression socks.

Where to buy them?

Suggestions on that previous thread suggested the HealthyMax shop on the 2nd floor (Mezzanine Fl.) of the Bumrungrad International Hospital. Baht 1350.

Another poster suggested Boots at Swampy might have them, although that could be leaving it a bit late to purchase if you're about to fly.
I think the medical supply shop across from the emergency/admitting entrance to Siriraj Hospital is bound to have them, too.
But I just purchased mine at Boots, on Thanon Chakrapong, just east of Khaosan Road. 543 baht
This suggests that they might be available at all Boots pharmacies, as they are stock in the chain.
This might be a local brand name for them, but the pharmacist, who spoke excellent English, assured me that these are the recommended Compression Socks to help prevent DVT.

post-77830-0-21646400-1363840820_thumb.j

A lot of current research casts doubt on the effectiveness of compression stockings and suggest they may actually cause more problems.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/stockings-fail-to-stop-blood-clots-20100923-15ovs.html

Increasingly the advice seems to be that getting up to walk around more frequently and the use of aspirin is the preferred treatment.

• Like 1

Can speak from experience having delveloped DVT on a flight from Japan to Atlanta . Best advice is dont sleep on the plane drink plenty of water and get up and walk around the plane and stretch your ankles and knee joint as much as possible . A good thing is to also have your blood checked for factor V .