Transfer From International To Domestic At Swampy For Chiang Mai

scotinsiam

Hi Folks,

I will be flying into Chiang Mai from Ho Chi Minh next week with Thai Airlines all the way. I have about 1 1/2 hours in Swampy before the Chiang Mai flight sector. I have never done this before and was wondering what the procedure is in Swampy for transfering to Domestic without going to immigration there?

I am hoping I can check my bags through all the way from HCM to Chiang Mai.

thanks

S

No problem.

When you check in just tell them you want to be checked in all the way through, they'll issue a sticker that you put somewhere visible and then they'll direct you to the domestic hall in Swampy, after immigration, which is only manned by 2/3 officers but it's very quick.

When you land in Chiang Mai, you'll be directed to International arrivals and pick up your baggage there and then go through customs.

• Like 1

better put your skids on its one heck of a treck from international to domestic,and you still have to go through immigration at swampy,the desk is at domestic,just before you get on your plane to cnx.pick up your luggage at international terminal at cnx,can be a little strict at chiang mai?? customs.

Thanks - I was hoping to do immigration at Chiang Mai and not have to deal with immigration at Swampy!

If you have that much time then why would you not want to just get it over with at BKK? And especially I'd also go through customs there if you have anything interesting with you. They're much less likely to check at BKK.

• Like 2

Thanks - I was hoping to do immigration at Chiang Mai and not have to deal with immigration at Swampy!

If you have that much time then why would you not want to just get it over with at BKK? And especially I'd also go through customs there if you have anything interesting with you. They're much less likely to check at BKK.

To clarify, yes he would be going through immigration in Bangkok BUT it is 3-4 stations especially for travelers going to Chiangmai, Phuket, Hat Yai etc. It is NOT the 300 mile line that the other travelers are forced to use...... personally the only problem I have ever encountered is the hand baggage check after the immigration booths in Bangkok, they confiscated two bottles of booze purchased at Dubai Duty Free. I guess that they needed to be in sealed bags........sad.png

My experience is no problem at Chiang Mai.

Lost the zip on portion of a bag once and they bent over backwards to find it.

Your bag came through without a zip and CMI launched a thorough investigation as to what happened to your zip and where it could possibly be? How does one lose a zip that's sewn onto a bag?

My experience is no problem at Chiang Mai.

Lost the zip on portion of a bag once and they bent over backwards to find it.

Your bag came through without a zip and CMI launched a thorough investigation as to what happened to your zip and where it could possibly be? How does one lose a zip that's sewn onto a bag?

Never having had that experience I will have to leave it to your fertile imagination.

they dont have a imm desk for international at cnx,its done at swampy, just before u get on plane to chiang mai, no proplem 3/4 officers generally very few passengers.they will x ray your luggage at chiang mai though.

To clarify, yes he would be going through immigration in Bangkok BUT it is 3-4 stations especially for travelers going to Chiangmai, Phuket, Hat Yai etc. It is NOT the 300 mile line that the other travelers are forced to use...... personally the only problem I have ever encountered is the hand baggage check after the immigration booths in Bangkok, they confiscated two bottles of booze purchased at Dubai Duty Free. I guess that they needed to be in sealed bags........sad.png

tried to do me few years ago,as it was the time no bottles alllowed on plane,i went back,and parcelled them up and sent them as baggage hold luggage,i was well over the limit,think i had 4/5 bottles,customs guy at cnx caught me though,had to grease his palm to turn a blind eye.