The Perfect Visa For Thailand ?

soi41

stamps in my old passport going back 30yrs.married to my wf.[thai] 22yrs.all my asetts are here in thailand,definately not going anywhere at my age[young 68] the only move i will endure in the future will be to the temple.having to go to immigration and report like a crimminal on probation every 90days and then do the extension part is nothing but degradeing,so here is 20,000bht.for a 10yrs.stamp,and you are welcome to visit me anytime you like expences paid.oh be carefull of the dog.

Do you live here. If married it's very easy to get Citizenship.

Do you speak Thai?

Edited by Johnniey

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stamps in my old passport going back 30yrs.married to my wf.[thai] 22yrs.all my asetts are here in thailand,definately not going anywhere at my age[young 68] the only move i will endure in the future will be to the temple.having to go to immigration and report like a crimminal on probation every 90days and then do the extension part is nothing but degradeing,so here is 20,000bht.for a 10yrs.stamp,and you are welcome to visit me anytime you like expences paid.oh be carefull of the dog.

Do you speak Thai?

yes i live here,had a house built 4yrs.ago or the wf.did,dont speak thai but i can get along fine,wf.speaks perfect english,regarding citizenship what i have read it can take yrs.

Easily extendable (and renewable) for 12 months, with minimal income requirements.

Mail some photocopies to them every 3 months, or give them to a motosai driver to take them there for 200b.

Perfect.

Easily extendable (and renewable) for 12 months, with minimal income requirements.

Mail some photocopies to them every 3 months, or give them to a motosai driver to take them there for 200b.

Perfect.

-

The OP request was "and still protect Thailand".

In other words, stringent proof that you have a good capital base and are supporting yourself without working here illegally would be part of that.

Actually, allowing for the fact that people can work online, show an income stream coming from outside Thailand would be a logical improvement in that area, but pretty difficult to set up so that it couldn't be scammed (e.g. having a local employer pay you via Paypal to a foreign bank account).

Do you speak Thai?

... or at least can you sing the Royal Anthem

Perfect.

-

The OP request was "and still protect Thailand".

In other words, stringent proof that you have a good capital base and are supporting yourself without working here illegally would be part of that.

Few hundred k baht in the bank or proof of an income stream (small to us, large to the common Thai) is already in place.

Perfect.

Only in place if you are older than 50

Incorrect.

I'm 33.

12 month extendable (renewable) visas (Extensions, technically, not visas)

Give 200b to a motosai rider every 3 months to go to immigration for me.

Perfect.

Edited by Almera

I mean, let's get real. Any foreigner who is:

Working.

Studying.

Volunteering.

Is married to a local.

Can easily get renewable 12 month extensions, with the minimum of fuss.

But this isn't enough for the Westerner who thinks he has some sort of birth right to just march on in to any country on the planet and live there without reason.

The sense of arrogance is amazing. You have no birth right to live here. (perhaps repeat three times each morning).

Edited by Almera
  • Like 2

It makes a difference, i'm retired and have no interest in working, education, or marry,

i'm retired and want a retirement life, i done all of the above and neither is for me

any more

Edited by poanoi

Not fascist, but age discriminatory, i like the neutral visa in cambodia

Cambodia's is more like an admission fee than a visa.

(Not that I'm complaining....)

LOL, Thats a good one im gonna remember that next time im there. I will fill out the reason for visit as "come to visit giant theme park."

It makes a difference, i'm retired and have no interest in working, education, or marry,

i'm retired and want a retirement life, i done all of the above and neither is for me

any more

If they're 'not for you' then move on to someplace that is 'for you', ie. where you have a birth-right to live. :huh:

'But, but, there isn't one for ME'. The arrogance is amazing.

Edited by Almera

Current system is entirely dysfunctional.

I am a self funded retiree well under 50. For me there is NO visa.

I am currently on a student visa in Phuket, but that is now also entirely unworkable.

I am off to Cambo next year to establish another residence with an easy visa option.

Then I will just get VOA to come over to Thailand to surf.

I had hoped that Thailand would get its S--T together...but it is not going to happen.

The current visa system is designed with nothing else in mind than to ensure the farang makes the maximum amount of visits to immigration. Thereby maximizing the opportunities for immigration officers to take gratuity payments.

FOR A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS THAI IMMIGRATION COULD HAVE A WEBSITE WHERE ONE COULD LOG ON AND MAKE A 90 REPORT ONLINE....AND UPLOAD .PDFs OF ANY REQUIRED DOCUMENTS.....HELL I COULD EVEN WRITE THE CODE FOR THEM FOR FREE.

That one small system improvement would save long stay expats here thousands (perhaps millions) of hours wasted traveling to make 90 day reports as well as fuel and other associated costs. The current paper based system is criminal both in its disregard for the environment...and for long stay expats.

Anyway if Thailand does not want to provide a visa for a young self made millionaire like myself...no problem...it is not the only country in the world with beaches and pretty girls...

I am outa here once my current visa extension expires...

I have Thai immigration burnt out....

The current visa system is designed with nothing else in mind than to ensure the farang makes the maximum amount of visits to immigration. Thereby maximizing the opportunities for immigration officers to take gratuity payments.

-

That isn't its intention, but you're right they don't give a toss about making things convenient for foreigners at all.

But if you're truly a self-made millionaire, there are dozens of ways you could set things up, the fact that they're expensive shouldn't bother you.

The Ed visa was a huge improvement for thousands of people in your situation, many outfits make it very convenient, why isn't it for you?

In any case one thing you're right about, no one cares that you're outa here, don't let the door hit your arse.

I am off to Cambo next year to establish another residence with an easy visa option.

Anyway if Thailand does not want to provide a visa for a young self made millionaire like myself...no problem...it is not the only country in the world with beaches and pretty girls...

But I see you will come crawling back on a VNR basis......

• Like 1

-

That isn't its intention, but you're right they don't give a toss about making things convenient for foreigners at all.

But if you're truly a self-made millionaire, there are dozens of ways you could set things up, the fact that they're expensive shouldn't bother you.

The Ed visa was a huge improvement for thousands of people in your situation, many outfits make it very convenient, why isn't it for you?

In any case one thing you're right about, no one cares that you're outa here, don't let the door hit your arse.

One more time for the dummies FunFon and Cardholder....its NOT ABOUT THE MONEY...it is about the NUMBER OF DAYS LOST attending immigration and dealing with their 1800's rubber stamp approach to paperwork.

I grew up poor...raised by a single mum on disability who died of cancer when I was 15. Lived on the street on two occasions when I was a youth. Worked hard, put myself through uni, started my own business, in my bedroom with nothing more than a phone and a laptop, and retired in my forties. I made my fortune building online management systems for global companies. I made money from simplifying complex workflow processes for my clients.

With money comes freedom. I don't wish to spend my hard earned, and precious freedom, dealing with immigration officers who are too corrupt, or too inept, to put a couple of inexpensive and simple online solutions in place to streamline the current system.

The 90 reporting system could be moved entirely online in a week for a cost of less than 15,000 THB.

The re entry permit system could also be moved entirely online in a week for a cost of less than 15,000 THB.

The reason why these two simple improvements are not made is because corruption is holding the current system in place.

FunFon...

"DOZENS of things you could set up".

Such talk is piffle, there are a few other visa options for someone under 50 but the paperwork requirements and time lost dealing with immigration make them absolutely ridiculous.

So...enough typing for now...I am loath to waste any more of my time on Thai immigration...it follows that I am also reticent to waste time responding to ill informed drivel courageously typed by an anonymous poster.

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 2

-

One more time for the dummies FunFon and Cardholder....its NOT ABOUT THE MONEY...it is about the NUMBER OF DAYS LOST attending immigration and dealing with their 1800's rubber stamp approach to paperwork.

I grew up poor...raised by a single mum on disability who died of cancer when I was 15. Lived on the street on two occasions when I was a youth. Worked hard, put myself through uni, started my own business, in my bedroom with nothing more than a phone and a laptop, and retired in my forties. I made my fortune building online management systems for global companies. I made money from simplifying complex workflow processes for my clients.

With money comes freedom. I don't wish to spend my hard earned, and precious freedom, dealing with immigration officers who are too corrupt, or too inept, to put a couple of inexpensive and simple online solutions in place to streamline the current system.

The 90 reporting system could be moved entirely online in a week for a cost of less than 15,000 THB.

The re entry permit system could also be moved entirely online in a week for a cost of less than 15,000 THB.

The reason why these two simple improvements are not made is because corruption is holding the current system in place.

FunFon...

"DOZENS of things you could set up".

Such talk is piffle, there are a few other visa options for someone under 50 but the paperwork requirements and time lost dealing with immigration make them absolutely ridiculous.

So...enough typing for now...I am loath to waste any more of my time on Thai immigration...it follows that I am also reticent to waste time responding to ill informed drivel courageously typed by an anonymous poster.

Thailand or Thai Visa forum........ I see you can't keep away.....

Your points about their system being antiquated is completely valid, but TPTB have no interest in efficiency, not only don't they care about wasting your time, in fact as we've been pointing out the opposite is actually a key goal, lots of jobs behind pushing the paper around and that's what helps them build their power base.

Regarding possible long-term solutions, I only meant if living in Thailand were important to you, assuming you don't mind spending money, once you get things set up properly no need to waste anymore of your precious time.

Since living in Thailand isn't that important to you, never mind.

stamps in my old passport going back 30yrs.married to my wf.[thai] 22yrs.all my asetts are here in thailand,definately not going anywhere at my age[young 68] the only move i will endure in the future will be to the temple.having to go to immigration and report like a crimminal on probation every 90days and then do the extension part is nothing but degradeing,so here is 20,000bht.for a 10yrs.stamp,and you are welcome to visit me anytime you like expences paid.oh be carefull of the dog.:wai:

Exactly,why should you be made to feel that you're on parole,when the truth of the matter is you're actually subsidising your Thai partner,all of her close family and probably more than a few lazy relatives as well?

It's just demeaning and actually makes the government and their rules look old-fashioned,petty and like one big inferiority complex!

• Like 1

Do you live here. If married it's very easy to get Citizenship.Do you speak Thai?

Getting Thai Citizenship is far more complicated than getting EU,USA or even Australian Citizenship for the majority of posters spouses,now why is that?

Getting Thai Citizenship is far more complicated than getting EU,USA or even Australian Citizenship for the majority of posters spouses,now why is that?

-

Because generally speaking Thailand is very xenophobic and doesn't welcome immigration. Was that your point? I don't think anyone was claiming otherwise.

And of course that's their choice and their right, I have no problem with it.

Exactly,why should you be made to feel that you're on parole,when the truth of the matter is you're actually subsidising your Thai partner,all of her close family and probably more than a few lazy relatives as well?

It's just demeaning and actually makes the government and their rules look old-fashioned, petty and like one big inferiority complex!

-

Those that run the place certainly don't feel happy, much less grateful, about foreigners subsidising our usually poor, dark upcountry families, and would be much happier if we didn't.

They generally despise the Isaan even more than low-class farang; they only want such people to be available for menial jobs at low wages, certainly not to get all uppity from being more internationally connected than most decent light-skinned central Thais.

So no conflict there between their interests and the resulting policies - they'd really like only wealthy business people to invest here and well-off short-term tourists to travel here, genuine retirees with a guaranteed income stream coming from overseas, the minimum number of people with required technical skills, and then the masses of grossly underpaid young English teachers coming over for a year of exotic Peace Corps style adventure "volunteering" for a year - and everyone heading back home as soon as their designated role of usefulness to TPTB has lapsed.

Edited by FunFon

Current system is entirely dysfunctional.

I am a self funded retiree well under 50. For me there is NO visa.

I am currently on a student visa in Phuket, but that is now also entirely unworkable.

I have Thai immigration burnt out....

Seriously - you have all that money and prefer Thailand to Indonesia for surfing ?? I'm sure its easier to beat the crowds in remote parts of Thailand, but there are still so many parts of Indonesia that haven't made it into the magazines. I know only too well the extent to which surfing can completely rule your life, but if I was going to pick a country to spend 'x' months of the year surfing, it wouldn't be Thailand. I might be too old for those coral reefs, but serious surf nazis consider the risks well worth it and I expect that you've met quite a few of them. I could find 50 guys at any decent Australian break, any day of the week, who would gladly swap places with you - I'm gobsmacked that you have a single care in the world. Forget Thai immigration, just get out there and surf every wave on the planet.

• Like 1

Do you live here. If married it's very easy to get Citizenship.Do you speak Thai?

Because they are not a female married to a local.

If they were they could have a Thai passport after 5 years, and never have to show any proof of funds for visa extensions in the short few years it takes their Thai passport to arrive. smile.png

Edited by Almera

Seriously - you have all that money and prefer Thailand to Indonesia for surfing ??

You mean there actually are millionaire surfing nuts who don't live in Hawaii? (I'm presuming that's $US millionaire)

Edited by JLCrab