Help

sierra01

I've just rented the 'Chicken Little' DVD, from Tsutaya. When I try to play it I get these messages (see pics), does anyone know what the problem is? I've rented DVD's before from them and never had this problem, is there another player I can d/l, or tweak Media player or real player?

post-21450-1142082778_thumb.jpg

post-21450-1142082793_thumb.jpg

It looks like they copied a one time rental DVD. There are Internet places where you can 'rent' a DVD by downloading it from their site. It then verifies the DVD via their Internet site and allows it to play. After the rental period the key expires and no longer will play.

Lot's of DVD's won't play on PC's, only on regular DVD players!

If you insert your dvd, go to my computer, and go look in the dvd, you'll find either the contents, but they all are given a size of 0kb, or you'll find a dvd with no contents at all.

The first one will still be played by powerdvd, but will be very hard to rip tou your hard disk. The second one will only play on a regular dvd player...

They do this quite simply by messing with the file table on the cd, which a computer needs to read the cd correctly, but a dvd player doesn't need this table!

Heck, you even find this copy protection on copied dvd's :o They just copied the protection straight over!

Edited by monty

I went a hunting and downloaded DVD X Player, the trial version. It played the DVD ok but I couldn't do anything about subtitles or change to Thai language for my wife, changing to the registered version sorted it all out.

So that's that job jobbed, many thanks people.

New problem, or rather one that started on the DVD before 'Chicken Little', 'We were soldiers'. It played ok on Media player, but when I played it a second time for my wife the sound was like someone talking and gargling at the same time, and it's still doing it now. It's just about listenable but something wrong somewhere, any ideas/fixes for this?

Why don't you get a cheap DVD player - they are not regionalised or respod to a lot of the copy-protection software - you can get one from about 1500 baht!

I'm going back to the UK soon so I'm clearing the decks, I sold my player last week, no point in storing it for 3 years really.

hi'

VLC reads everything :D

if you use nero for burning, use nero show time, it's not this bad :o

rip it to your hard hdd, use a cd/dvd ripper, some free and remove protection,

I mean they bypass the protection, the only one they can't deal with is the starforce one :D

francois