British Man Trapped In Thailand For Four Years Is Back Home

webfact

Man trapped in Thailand for four years is back home

PILLING: -- A MAN locked in a legal battle trapping him in Thailand for nearly four years is back on British soil.

Lee Chestnutt has returned to his Pilling home after a year-long trial and an appeal hearing as his former landlord accused him and his partner, Jaffrey Maharan, of criminal damage and theft.

After so many immigration blocks, preventing the couple from leaving the country or being allowed to work there, Lee is still looking over his shoulder.

He said: “It’s been four years since we were in control of our own lives.

“What kept is going was that we knew we weren’t guilty. We just had to trust the justice system.”

Lee’s mum, Pat, breathed a huge sigh of relieve when she saw her son at Manchester Airport early on Sunday morning.

She said: “It’s amazing.

“We did start to believe it was never going to happen.”

Source: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local-news/latest-news/man-trapped-in-thailand-for-four-years-is-back-home-1-5525820

-- The Gazette 2013-03-25

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pilling's Lee Chesnutt 'relieved' to leave Thailand

LONDON: -- A man stuck in Thailand for three years because of a legal dispute has said it is "a big relief" to be back in the UK.

Lee Chestnutt, of Pilling, Lancashire, was accused of criminal damage and stealing furniture by the landlord of a property he rented in Bangkok.

He was told the case had been resolved before Christmas, but the landlord appealed against the decision.

Mr Chesnutt arrived at Manchester Airport at around 07:00 GMT, after finally getting an exit visa.

Charges against him were dropped in 2011, but he could not leave the country after two appeals were lodged by his landlord.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-21917654

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-03-25

So if he didn't damage the apartment, then what was the motive of the landlord?

Can i suggest money was in there somewhere, even if he caused damage the bill would have gone through the roof ? I wonder what the British Embassy did to help him as they have even more time on their hands now that passport applications go to Hong Kong. Anyone for another round of golf ?

I just hope it cost the land lord a bunch of money, that is a best punishment for a greedy Thai

Once i had a conversation with an elderly gentleman from an english speaking country living in Thailand. he was quite negative about a lot of aspects of the situation of living as a foreigner in Thailand. He insisted for example that if a Thai accused some Farang of doing whatever unlawful may it true or not then when it goes to the court the judge will always rule against the Farang.

Looks like such sentiments have no base at all.

Another victim of Government brain washing and the so called education system.

One swallow does not a summer make. (From the Latin by Erasmus)

i was and still be under the impression that said gentleman didn't spend much time in the education system at all. not sure if it was long enough to be brainwashed.

He probably deluded his brain with some cheap drinks in the company of barstool experts and their old wives' tales.

but as you said "One swallow does not a summer make." I don't mean that all elderly gentlemen from English speaking countries are that way like this character.

Once i had a conversation with an elderly gentleman from an english speaking country living in Thailand. he was quite negative about a lot of aspects of the situation of living as a foreigner in Thailand. He insisted for example that if a Thai accused some Farang of doing whatever unlawful may it true or not then when it goes to the court the judge will always rule against the Farang.

Looks like such sentiments have no base at all.

If it was against another Thai do you think it would have dragged on for four years when there was absolutely no evidence of damage?

The legal procedure would be the same.

New way to abolish annoying visa issues. Smash up some furniture and you get an instant 4 year stay.

the tricky part is to smash it up without any evidence or better with doubtful evidence that don't get accepted as evidence by the court.
  • Like 1

So if he didn't damage the apartment, then what was the motive of the landlord?

Can i suggest money was in there somewhere, even if he caused damage the bill would have gone through the roof ? I wonder what the British Embassy did to help him as they have even more time on their hands now that passport applications go to Hong Kong. Anyone for another round of golf ?

Given intl convention prevents intervention in legal domestic affairs what would you have them do?

Any comment from TAT? It's all over the UK press now. Makes a great story doesn't it, being trapped in a country for 4 years awaiting justice. Not like he was a murder suspect right? Of course you can steal millions from the national treasury and be allowed to leave the country to go the Beijing Olympics.

The difference is that there is no doubt that one guy really would like to comeback, meanwhile the other might think twice about it and would rather option for Myanmar or Cambodia next time.

An official TAT comment is soon to be publish at notthenation. They will proudly announce that they have now reached the magic number of 555 nails in the coffin of the lo-so tourist industry.

I am waiting for the Thai government to come out and start complaining that he is now tarnishing their image by letting people know what happened.

you can wait long time. will not happen.

We shall see, but judging from some of your posts you seem to think that the Government is not corrupt. Either your walking around blind or simply do not want to see the truth.

• Like 2

Shame he can't claim a payment for the 4 years detention of an innocent. sad.png

In another country he could file a civil suit against the landlord, and if things go well enough he could end up owning the property. Any word on what the actual amount of the claim was?

I am waiting for the Thai government to come out and start complaining that he is now tarnishing their image by letting people know what happened.

you can wait long time. will not happen.

We shall see, but judging from some of your posts you seem to think that the Government is not corrupt. Either your walking around blind or simply do not want to see the truth.

Its called "Being Thai" whistling.gif

• Like 1