2013 Living Cost Comparison Gpb Vs Thb

Let's look at this way ok your saving high tax bracket but your income has dropped hugely and earning potential more or less disappeared ,so you have saved on tax but moved to a nigh on 3rd world country with no free health care ,no free schooling so your health care and schooling fees will soon cancel out any savings you think you made through not paying tax ....swings and roundabouts.

If I may repeat, Thai government school is free, as is government schooling in most western countries.

Thai health care may be free, depending on your employment and the employment of your spouse and/or children.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's look at this way ok your saving high tax bracket but your income has dropped hugely and earning potential more or less disappeared ,so you have saved on tax but moved to a nigh on 3rd world country with no free health care ,no free schooling so your health care and schooling fees will soon cancel out any savings you think you made through not paying tax ....swings and roundabouts.
Thailand a nigh on 3rd world country?? Whatever.

The comment that most people are putting 40-50% down On deposit for property is ridiculous,yes middle aged people that are moving house having sold their original property do this but they are also extending their mortgage terms and the mortgage is also going up.the average workIng man is struggling to get a 15-20% deposit together and for the younger generation some of the deposit is coming from mummy and daddy's savings.

Exactly! and most young people are going for 5% deposit deals and are struggling to raise 10% plus deposits,depending on which part of the country you live in.

If I may repeat, Thai government school is free, as is government schooling in most western countries.

Thai health care may be free, depending on your employment and the employment of your spouse and/or children.

Sorry i should have said if you want your child to have a chance in life with a good education then schooling fees will cancel out your tax savings,

Sorry but it is my opinion that any western educated parent that puts their child in a free thai school is a crazy and obviously does not careabout what is best for their child

Sorry i should have said if you want your child to have a chance in life with a good education then schooling fees will cancel out your tax savings,

Sorry but it is my opinion that any western educated parent that puts their child in a free thai school is a crazy and obviously does not careabout what is best for their child

One could equally say that about the 'free' government schools in NY, central Detroit or Washington.

Private schools are available in every western country, paying for your child to go private is a personal choice.

The average purchaser is probably 40-50 years old, so have built up lots of equity. Many in London bought for under £100K 20-30 years ago. They may now have houses worth up to £1m. It's not that people are cash rich, it's just that they have lived a long time in houses that have increased in value. UK has an aging population. They have a huge amount of equity built up. But many are asset rich and cash poor. I know plenty of people in my area of London that live in apartments worth over £500K, but they have jobs where they earn £40-50K and don't feel rich at all. In 1995 you could buy an apartment in Notting Hill for under £50K. You didn't need to be rich. If you stayed there, you now have an apartment worth at least £400K. And these are just average people.

My mum does ok, but has below average income. But she only paid £7K for her house. It's now worth £250K. Some people (you maybe) wonder how people like my mum can afford to live in a £250K house. Well the simple answer is that she bought it for next to nothing. Times have changed. The older generation are very asset rich. The younger generation find it very tough to get a start on the housing ladder. But many will eventually inherit their parents assets. First time buyers are the ones that are the worst off these days. Very tough for many of them.

This is the thing all those that are saying how wonderful life is in Thailand seem to be renting property in the UK to fund their existence, often bought many years ago and now propped up by one govt. backed scheme after another. aswell as QE and 0.5%. And whilst these people may have worked hard at some point in their life their wealth on the whole is just theft from the next couple of generations.

So for this ilk to have their cushty life in Thailand some poor sod is slogging it out back in England to pay the over inflated rent.

Edited by Thailand1977

The average purchaser is probably 40-50 years old, so have built up lots of equity. Many in London bought for under £100K 20-30 years ago. They may now have houses worth up to £1m. It's not that people are cash rich, it's just that they have lived a long time in houses that have increased in value. UK has an aging population. They have a huge amount of equity built up. But many are asset rich and cash poor. I know plenty of people in my area of London that live in apartments worth over £500K, but they have jobs where they earn £40-50K and don't feel rich at all. In 1995 you could buy an apartment in Notting Hill for under £50K. You didn't need to be rich. If you stayed there, you now have an apartment worth at least £400K. And these are just average people.

My mum does ok, but has below average income. But she only paid £7K for her house. It's now worth £250K. Some people (you maybe) wonder how people like my mum can afford to live in a £250K house. Well the simple answer is that she bought it for next to nothing. Times have changed. The older generation are very asset rich. The younger generation find it very tough to get a start on the housing ladder. But many will eventually inherit their parents assets. First time buyers are the ones that are the worst off these days. Very tough for many of them.

This is the thing all those that are saying how wonderful life is in Thailand seem to be renting property in the UK to fund their existence, often bought many years ago and now propped up by one govt. backed scheme after another. aswell as QE and 0.5%. And whilst these people may have worked hard at some point in their life their wealth on the whole is just theft from the next couple of generations.

So for this ilk to have their cushty life in Thailand some poor sod is slogging it out back in England to pay the over inflated rent.

I keep reading your various negative comments about so called boomers and/or anyone over the age 50 who has seen the value of their home increase and have concluded that you are jealous. Not all older people conciously executed the master plan designed to make them rich through property values at the expense of someone younger, get over it.

let's look at it using a rational and not your utmost naïve way:

-i am retired since more than 23 years,

-my income has dropped initially for a few years once i stopped working but that was...

-irrelevant as my income derived from savings/investments was always more than my expenses,

-however, because i stopped working i could devote my time concentrating on my investments...

-and this in real time instead of making decisions after reading a two week old Financial Times,

-concentrating on my investments increased my income by a multiple,

-enough money makes it possible to ignore the 3rd world around you,

-anybody escaping a 40 or 50% tax break gives a flying fàrt for free health care because...

-he/she has either a top/first class health insurance or pays for health care out of the pocket,

-he/she also is not concerned about school fees (in the unlike event young offsprings exist).

the only thing one can't "cancel out" with money from saved taxes is the sh*tty bah.gif climate in Thailand outside a fully airconditioned home.

next! tongue.png

• Like 1

£150 -£200 council tax in UK

£0 in Thailand

If you live in a gated village you will be paying (or should be paying) some sort of community charge. It won't be zero but still cheaper than the UK council tax.

By the way if the charges quoted are monthly then for a single person in the UK should be a lot cheaper than the amount quoted - unless you live in a very big mansion! Do they still allow the 25% single persons discount?

Yes they still allow a 25% discount for single occupants.

Council tax in a band A property in K&C Council area, with 25% single person discount, is under £45/month. So nowhere near the £150-£200/month that someone mentioned. Even a band H property is under £135.

Band B is £99 per month,again nowhere near these wild figures flying around!

What are you on about?

I have 5 properties in Brighton. All are between £150 and £200 a month - 3 bed semis , ex council ( although some are extended and converted it hasn't affected it as no revaluations done since ages).

I know this is fact because I pay the bloody council every month since the places are currently rented out room by room.

(When I got in to this game this room by room was a nice bit more profit. But now the utilities have risen so much and look set to keep on rising I'm turning them all over to be single contract student lets do they can pay all the bills. A flip in what is most profitable biz practice because of inflation over only 3 years.)

Just watch out for the CGT on second homes, courtesy of the present government.

• Like 1

£150 -£200 council tax in UK

£0 in Thailand

If you live in a gated village you will be paying (or should be paying) some sort of community charge. It won't be zero but still cheaper than the UK council tax.

By the way if the charges quoted are monthly then for a single person in the UK should be a lot cheaper than the amount quoted - unless you live in a very big mansion! Do they still allow the 25% single persons discount?

Yes they still allow a 25% discount for single occupants.Council tax in a band A property in K&C Council area, with 25% single person discount, is under £45/month. So nowhere near the £150-£200/month that someone mentioned. Even a band H property is under £135.

Band B is £99 per month,again nowhere near these wild figures flying around!

What are you on about?

I have 5 properties in Brighton. All are between £150 and £200 a month - 3 bed semis , ex council ( although some are extended and converted it hasn't affected it as no revaluations done since ages).

I know this is fact because I pay the bloody council every month since the places are currently rented out room by room.

(When I got in to this game this room by room was a nice bit more profit. But now the utilities have risen so much and look set to keep on rising I'm turning them all over to be single contract student lets do they can pay all the bills. A flip in what is most profitable biz practice because of inflation over only 3 years.)

Just watch out for the CGT on second homes, courtesy of the present government.

No CGT to pay if you've lived abroad for more than 5 years.

Edited by alfieconn

Can only comment on my own experience.

I am not retired but have several businesses in Asia based in Thailand, currently in Uk for a while.

Undertaking business in Thailand is in my view difficult but profitable.The same freedom that allows you do so much also hinders you,But that is another post.

Uk Rent 525 pound per month 1 bed house (inclusive bills excluding electric) Rural area very nice surroundings.

UK Rent 100 pound per month for car inc tax (not insurance) 08 plate ,aware this is a bargain however.

Food cost significantly less in Uk

Clothing less than Thailand, I do not fit in silly Thai sizes ( however am large only in Europe)

Petrol Thailand wins on this

Cost of car to purchase Uk wins hands down

Health care Uk free however I still use my insurance to go private if need be

Entertainment, not into bar scene or crappy beer, so for me Uk wins deals everywhere

Taxes cant comment, as others said get good accountants easy in UK not so easy in Thailand.

Non priceable

Vibe : Uk lot seem unhappy till you get to know them, but after being in LOS 15 years I understand fully the real intention behind the average Thai smile.

Weather: hate being hot, dislike being cold neither have the right climate in my opinion, temperate is best I like southern Europe or Med

Overall neither are perfect and impossible to compare on costs as it all depends how you want to live.

• Like 2

I keep reading your various negative comments about so called boomers and/or anyone over the age 50 who has seen the value of their home increase and have concluded that you are jealous. Not all older people conciously executed the master plan designed to make them rich through property values at the expense of someone younger, get over it.

Jealous .. well if you went into the supermarket and everytime you went they charged you 2 times more then the guy 20 years older and then the govt gave him a VAT rebate on the same shopping .... you'd be jealous as you like to call it.

But then at then end of the month when the people 20 years older who worked in the same factory and earned the same wage had all this extra money left over and then went onto boast how they must work so much harder then you and are more astute you would like to put them straight.

Jealous .. well if you went into the supermarket and everytime you went they charged you 2 times more then the guy 20 years older and then the govt gave him a VAT rebate on the same shopping .... you'd be jealous as you like to call it.

But then at then end of the month when the people 20 years older who worked in the same factory and earned the same wage had all this extra money left over and then went onto boast how they must work so much harder then you and are more astute you would like to put them straight.

But those things don't actually happen, do they! Until you get that chip off your shoulder you're not going to make any progress or see things the way they really are.

More Poor Diddums.

Edited by yoshiwara

-my income has dropped initially for a few years once i stopped working but that was...

-irrelevant as my income derived from savings/investments was always more than my expenses,

-however, because i stopped working i could devote my time concentrating on my investments...

-and this in real time instead of making decisions after reading a two week old Financial Times,

-anybody escaping a 40 or 50% tax break gives a flying fàrt for free health care because...

-he/she has either a top/first class health insurance or pays for health care out of the pocket,

-he/she also is not concerned about school fees (in the unlike event young offsprings exist).

the only thing one can't "cancel out" with money from saved taxes is the sh*tty bah.gif climate in Thailand outside a fully airconditioned home.

next! tongue.png

Says the one that is constantly slagging of and putting down the people and the place he has chosen to retire to ,yes I see all your posts in the Phuket forum maybe you should have invested better so you could have retired somewhere you actually liked as opposed to some where that is just cheap.

Find that really strange working all your life and planning for the future only to end up somewhere you obviously hate.

Edited by taninthai

Clearly it was an analogy that is happening in housing, which is why so many older Brits in Thailand.

And i will not remove the chip on my shoulder where my generation get screwed over to pay for yours.

At one fell swoop an entire generation and everyone in it is damned, in your eyes, frankly that's amazing that anyone can see the world that way, sad indeed.

Clearly it was an analogy that is happening in housing, which is why so many older Brits in Thailand.

And i will not remove the chip on my shoulder where my generation get screwed over to pay for yours.

At one fell swoop an entire generation and everyone in it is damned, in your eyes, frankly that's amazing that anyone can see the world that way, sad indeed.

Well clearly some people have the brains to make money in other ways, but most of your generation in Thailand are there as they profited from property, no need to twist words to back your argument up from your ivory tower.

Edited by Thailand1977

next! tongue.png

Says the one that is constantly slagging of and putting down the people and the place he has chosen to retire to ,yes I see all your posts in the Phuket forum maybe you should have invested better so you could have retired somewhere you actually liked as opposed to some where that is just cheap.

Find that really strange working all your life and planning for the future only to end up somewhere you obviously hate.

what are you talking about my good man?

i live since 9 years in Pattaya, hardly ever read the Phuket forum and can't comment on Phuket as my last visit there was in 1986, started working after my studies at age 30, stopped working when i was 46 (hardly "all my life").

now be a good boy, take your prescribed medication and the hallucinations will disappear. the medication might also prevent you to post more utter ignorant nonsense like the one in your posting of 17:02 hours.

l-dog%20small.jpg

• Like 1

Well clearly some people have the brains to make money in other ways, but most of your generation in Thailand are there as they profited from property, no need to twist words to back your argument up.

Which ever way you to try to reduce the scope of your statement it's still sad and something that you clearly have not thought about objectively or intellegently.

next! tongue.png

what are you talking about my good man?

i live since 9 years in Pattaya, hardly ever read the Phuket forum and can't comment on Phuket as my last visit there was in 1986, started working after my studies at age 30, stopped working when i was 46 (hardly "all my life").

now be a good boy, take your prescribed medication and the hallucinations will disappear. the medication might also prevent you to post more utter ignorant nonsense like the one in your posting of 17:02 hours.

l-dog%20small.jpg

lol... sorry about that post obviously confused you with someone else we all make mistakes........biggrin.png

• Like 2

lol... sorry about that post obviously confused you with someone else we all make mistakes........biggrin.png

you owe me a drink when we met... or else! wink.png
Sure no problem just checked the person I confused you with has a name beginning with namm easy mistake to make....

Church tax?

in 1871, when a unified Germany was formed by Reichskanzler Bismarck ("Chancellor of the Realm") it was agreed that most assets held by the catholic and protestant churches in Germany would be taken over by the state and all priests, bishops (and what have you) would be henceforth "government officials" taken care of financially (salaries, health care, pensions and you name it) by the German state. to finance the cost the "church tax" was levied since then.

Just one example of what's wrong with the UK. But it kinda sums up how idiotic laws / "rights" / regulations etc have become:

""Policewoman Sues Man Who Called 999

Last Updated 20:50 31/03/2013

A man who dialled 999 fearing a burglary at his petrol station is being sued by the policewoman who answered the call because she fell on the premises.

The woman, WPC Kelly Jones, tripped over a kerbstone when she went to the station in Thetford, Norfolk, owned by Steve Jones last August.

Her lawyers say she was hurt and argue that he failed to keep her safe while she was investigating the possible break-in.

Mr Jones says the move raises bigger questions about Britain's culture of compensation.

"I think it's the compensation culture gone a little too far, this is one step too far. Something needs to be done.

"I feel we need a minister of the common sense in this country," he told Sky News.

Mr Jones said he felt "astounded, worried, slightly anxious" upon receiving notification of the lawsuit last week.

"It's implying that I virtually should have done her job for her, its implying I didn't keep her safe on my premises," Mr Jones said.

"We really need the police to be on our side right now," he added, citing what he says is an increased numbers of shoplifters or people who drive off without paying after filling up the tank.

WPC Jones could not immediately be reached.

But Norfolk Police said in a statement that they had been "wholly unaware of this litigation which appears to be instigated privately by the individual officer".

The statement added: "We have a duty of care to any officer injured whilst on duty, to support their continued health and well-being and fitness to return to work. Officers can, in addition, receive further support from their staff association, as well as pursuing private treatment."

Mr Jones was called out late at night in August 25 after an alarm went off at the petrol station. Fearing a burglary, he called the police for backup.

"We were walking around to see if there had been any signs of entry in the premises and she tripped over the kerb," Mr Jones recalled.

"She got up and we carried on," he said, adding that the officer did not mention anything at the time and that she seemed to be "more embarrassed than hurt".

There was no burglary so Mr Jones said he didn't think about the incident until receiving the letter months later.

The lawsuit said the policewoman had suffered wrist and leg injuries.

Her lawyers say the area was not properly lit. Mr Jones counters that some lights were on and some more light was coming from a back street.

If successful, the claim could put people off calling emergency services. But Mr Jones said this was an isolated incident.

"On the whole the police do a great job."

The Police Federation said in a statement that "the Constables Central Committee is funding this particular case and the decision making for this lies with them."

It said most officers have public protection rather than any potential risk to themselves as their top priority.

It added: On occasion private prosecutions and civil claims are made by police officers - and they must be treated each on their own merits.

"However, we share the public view that policing is a job that carries with it a reasonable amount of risk, at times much higher than that."

-sky news app

Or the other news in today's times about the Iraqi woman in the £5000 a month flat at tax payers expense repeatedly subletting and profiteering off the hand out but still getting rehoused in equally plush houses and continuing the dishonest gains.

While on another page there is the news that rural councils will be reclassifying some of the less used roads to be "byways" or "green corridors" because they can't afford to keep fixing the potholes etc miles of B roads are to be allowed to rot /disintegrate / be reclaimed by nature or taken care of by the citizens / farmers / country dwellers who depend on them.

Edited by mccw

Well clearly some people have the brains to make money in other ways, but most of your generation in Thailand are there as they profited from property, no need to twist words to back your argument up from your ivory tower.

In Hong Kong it was until recently a national sport.

Just one example of what's wrong with the UK. But it kinda sums up how idiotic laws / "rights" / regulations etc have become:

""Policewoman Sues Man Who Called 999

Last Updated 20:50 31/03/2013

A man who dialled 999 fearing a burglary at his petrol station is being sued by the policewoman who answered the call because she fell on the premises.

The woman, WPC Kelly Jones, tripped over a kerbstone when she went to the station in Thetford, Norfolk, owned by Steve Jones last August.

Her lawyers say she was hurt and argue that he failed to keep her safe while she was investigating the possible break-in.

Mr Jones says the move raises bigger questions about Britain's culture of compensation.

"I think it's the compensation culture gone a little too far, this is one step too far. Something needs to be done.

"I feel we need a minister of the common sense in this country," he told Sky News.

Mr Jones said he felt "astounded, worried, slightly anxious" upon receiving notification of the lawsuit last week.

"It's implying that I virtually should have done her job for her, its implying I didn't keep her safe on my premises," Mr Jones said.

"We really need the police to be on our side right now," he added, citing what he says is an increased numbers of shoplifters or people who drive off without paying after filling up the tank.

WPC Jones could not immediately be reached.

But Norfolk Police said in a statement that they had been "wholly unaware of this litigation which appears to be instigated privately by the individual officer".

The statement added: "We have a duty of care to any officer injured whilst on duty, to support their continued health and well-being and fitness to return to work. Officers can, in addition, receive further support from their staff association, as well as pursuing private treatment."

Mr Jones was called out late at night in August 25 after an alarm went off at the petrol station. Fearing a burglary, he called the police for backup.

"We were walking around to see if there had been any signs of entry in the premises and she tripped over the kerb," Mr Jones recalled.

"She got up and we carried on," he said, adding that the officer did not mention anything at the time and that she seemed to be "more embarrassed than hurt".

There was no burglary so Mr Jones said he didn't think about the incident until receiving the letter months later.

The lawsuit said the policewoman had suffered wrist and leg injuries.

Her lawyers say the area was not properly lit. Mr Jones counters that some lights were on and some more light was coming from a back street.

If successful, the claim could put people off calling emergency services. But Mr Jones said this was an isolated incident.

"On the whole the police do a great job."

The Police Federation said in a statement that "the Constables Central Committee is funding this particular case and the decision making for this lies with them."

It said most officers have public protection rather than any potential risk to themselves as their top priority.

It added: On occasion private prosecutions and civil claims are made by police officers - and they must be treated each on their own merits.

"However, we share the public view that policing is a job that carries with it a reasonable amount of risk, at times much higher than that."

-sky news app

Or the other news in today's times about the Iraqi woman in the £5000 a month flat at tax payers expense repeatedly subletting and profiteering off the hand out but still getting rehoused in equally plush houses and continuing the dishonest gains.

While on another page there is the news that rural councils will be reclassifying some of the less used roads to be "byways" or "green corridors" because they can't afford to keep fixing the potholes etc miles of B roads are to be allowed to rot /disintegrate / be reclaimed by nature or taken care of by the citizens / farmers / country dwellers who depend on them.

Yes Britain sure is Great these days, cant think why I left after reading this topic!!!!