Ethernet Cable And Wi-Fi At The Same Time?

scooterboy

I have Windows XP DeskTop Computer connected to TOT via a "normal" ethernet cable to a
Speed Touch Router. I also have a TP-Link (ethernet) cable hub with 4 ports.

There is no Wireless Card in the DeskTop (that I'm aware of).

There are no 'other' wifi signals in this area.

Just recently, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (wifi only) Tablet. Goody! smile.png

I figure I'd like to try and use the Tablet with my DeskTop setup - if that's at all
possible. I have to keep the normal ethernet cable connection to my DeskTop.

I admit that I'm a complete noob at Android, Tablets and whatever. wub.png

Here's my Question :

Can I somehow attach a wi-fi adaptor/router directly to my ethernet cable (TP-Link, actually),
so that my Tablet can pick up a wifi-signal from the adaptor?

If yes, then what do i need - and how do I set things up?

Thanks for any info thumbsup.gif

Yes mate its easy.

Go buy a WiFi router NOT an ADSL one just a standard Ethernet one. Take out the cable from desktop to current hub and plug the wireless router in. Either run the CD to configure or if you are happy open up the WEB GIU and do it yourself. Personally I would assign a different IP range for the wifi router say 192.168.2.1 and let the WiFi router assign and manage all IP address connecting to it.

Depending on the router and firmware you could configure the new WiFi as a 'Bridge Mode' which means it acts as a fairly dumb WiFi access point.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your positive reply - sounds easy enough (when you know how biggrin.png ).

OK - a standard ethernet WiFi Router - I have to go into town tomorrow, so I'll look around.

I just have to plug the WiFi Router into the hub (Tp-Link), move my desktop pc ethernet cable into the WiFi Router - and then install the CD and configure the Wifi Router as per your instructions. Is that all correct?

That means I can use the internet (via ethernet cable) on my desktop pc - and I can use my WiFi tablet with the WiFi Router - all at the same time, right? Yeah, I know - I'm pretty dumb about these things.......giggle.gif

Cheers - and thanks thumbsup.gif

Many thanks for your positive reply - sounds easy enough (when you know how biggrin.png ).

OK - a standard ethernet WiFi Router - I have to go into town tomorrow, so I'll look around.

I just have to plug the WiFi Router into the hub (Tp-Link), move my desktop pc ethernet cable into the WiFi Router - and then install the CD and configure the Wifi Router as per your instructions. Is that all correct?

That means I can use the internet (via ethernet cable) on my desktop pc - and I can use my WiFi tablet with the WiFi Router - all at the same time, right? Yeah, I know - I'm pretty dumb about these things.......giggle.gif

Cheers - and thanks thumbsup.gif

Anything is easy when you know and when you dont there is always TV right?

Make sure the WiFi router is not one of the ADSL types they are most common.....

Hang on a sec. Am I right in thinking you have a small ADSL router that has the phone line in and a single Ethernet line out which uoi then plug into the 4 way hub? Getting a Ethernet WiFi router and adding it means you have a 3 box solution so 3 times the chance for problem.

If I have assumed rightly then you could just buy a ADSL WiFi router and throw away the old ADSL AND the Ethernet hub and replace it with 1 box that converts ADSL to Ethernet, gives you 4 Ethernet ports AND WiFi connectivity all in a single box. Only 1 box to configure that way.....

• Like 2

"Hang on a sec. Am I right in thinking you have a small ADSL router that
has the phone line in and a single Ethernet line out which uoi then plug
into the 4 way hub?
"

Exactly ! - this due to us coupling another pc (into the 4 way hub) now and then.

A 3 box solution wouldn't be so bad, if that's what it takes.

I'll have to try to get the wife to ask the computer shop about the setup w00t.gif - maybe they'll also suggest an ADSL WiFi router, too.

We're off to town in an hour or so and I'll have to wait and see what (if anything) I end up with. I'm taking along a sketch of our current setup - maybe that will make things easier, eh.

I'll get back to you later today when/if I know anything..... thumbsup.gif

Cheers - and thanks for the help, much appreciated.

"Hang on a sec. Am I right in thinking you have a small ADSL router that

has the phone line in and a single Ethernet line out which uoi then plug

into the 4 way hub?"

Exactly ! - this due to us coupling another pc (into the 4 way hub) now and then.

A 3 box solution wouldn't be so bad, if that's what it takes.

I'll have to try to get the wife to ask the computer shop about the setup w00t.gif - maybe they'll also suggest an ADSL WiFi router, too.

We're off to town in an hour or so and I'll have to wait and see what (if anything) I end up with. I'm taking along a sketch of our current setup - maybe that will make things easier, eh.

I'll get back to you later today when/if I know anything..... thumbsup.gif

Cheers - and thanks for the help, much appreciated.

There is no need just a 4 port ADSL WiFi router will do the job in 1 box. No pain in the a$$ config either!

Phewwwww! Back from a hard day's shopping with the wife - 8 hours out and about can feel a trifle tooo long!! sad.png

Anyway, got to the IT place and found a shop selling a variety of routers. An assistant showed up and he seemed to be well informed about setups. He chatted to the wife, who showed him the sketch I'd made (of our setup). He produced 2 routers, which he said would be our best bet. One model could manage the 3 box version that you'd written about, while the other router was an all-in-one affair, meaning I ought to be able to get rid of my 4 way hub and old router - and replace it all with the all-in-one thing.

I could understand a fair deal of the conversation and it sounded like he knew what he was talking about - and he even drew a new sketch, showing how to put it all together. I asked a few questions (via the wife) and got the same answers that you'd given.

Ended up taking a D-Link Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for 1490- Baht. Could've gotten a smaller model for 950? Baht, but thought that the future will undoubtedly bring even more WiFi crap, so settled for the more expensive model. Walked around some other shops in the place and noticed the same router we'd just bought was around 2-3 hundred baht more expensive. biggrin.png

So far, so good. Got back home in the early evening and still had other work to do, so won't get around to installing the thing until tomorrow. Yes, and I'll remember to install the drivers from the installation CD, before pulling the plug on the old router setup.

I'll let you know how I get on.......................whistling.gif

Cheers - and thanks

Tomorrow's here and I finally found time to install the new router. Inserted the installation cd before doing anything else, but the Autorun didn't work, so I had to guess what prog to start.

The CD hummed and haaa-ed for about 5 minutes without any screen info. I reckoned it was "safe" to start a prog - and I apparently started the correct one, for it was the WiFi router setup prog. Went through the installation routine with no probs, though didn't attach a password to the WiFi signal. The prog insisted that I was ready to use the internet, so I tried - and Lo! - the internet was available. I then tried the tablet WiFi - good signal and everything working fine. Attached the 2nd desktop to the new router - everything OK and working fine. Went outside the house and up to the road - the tablet could still pick up the signal, so went indoors again and put a password on it. Not that I'm against other people using the signal, but mostly scared it'll be misused in some way. Finished! thumbsup.gif

Exited the setup prog and started to pack the T-Link and old router. Bugger! - the power adaptor plug is very loose in the power socket and the slightest touch anywhere near it, causes the router to briefly shut down. I'll have to fix that when I turn off the pc later in the day. sad.png

Looks like everything is working very nicely, thanks - so many thanks for bothering to reply to my query.

You certainly made it all a much easier task! clap2.gifwai2.gifbiggrin.png

Cheers

Edited by scooterboy

There you go a nice 1 box solution that does exactly what you need. Perfect.

I personally have a pet peeve with TP-Link equipment. Sure they are the cheapest but that comes at a price. I had to laugh when you said about the AC adapter had that tons of times normally end up wrapping insulating tape around it and the power strip. Not pretty but it works.

Glad you are happy with the suggestions made.

Enjoy.

Glad you got it all sorted out scooterboy.

Dont mean to hijack the thread but, I'm thinking of "future proofing" all rooms in our new house build.

So does it make sense to put copper ethernet in all the rooms, and run them back to central point in one room/office.

So say, approx 10 cat5 cables into a router setup, probably with ADSL connection (initially).

Anybody recommend best setup and model of equipment to purchase in LOS which will do the job?

Edited by Farang0tang

Dont mean to hijack the thread but, I'm thinking of "future proofing" all rooms in our new house build.

So does it make sense to put copper ethernet in all the rooms, and run them back to central point in one room/office.

So say, approx 10 cat5 cables into a router setup, probably with ADSL connection (initially).

Anybody recommend best setup and model of equipment to purchase in LOS which will do the job?

It really depends what you are looking to do, the size of the house (coverage required) and the building materials used in the house construction.

All the new Smart TV's run WiFi class N so have moved off copper. All laptops have class N built in only desktops are lagging behind.

A few years ago I would of said if you could afford it then do it but now I really struggle to see the point. If you do run CAT-6 cable not CAT-5 its higher quality and certified for faster data transfer. Also the new CAT-6 connectors are a DREAM to put on the cables not like the pain the old CAT-5 connectors were.

You are thinking 10 port router to ADSL? For home use IMO waste of money. What you could do is what the OP has and get a 4 port ADSL single box and use the additional 4 ETH ports to run cables to areas of the house that may have trouble receiving from the single router and put additional routers on the other end?

In IT there are many ways to skin a cat I am sure others will offer different ways to achieve the same solution.

Thanks, guys. Fixed the adaptor problem by expanding the 2 power pins outwards a bit (brute strength, doncha know) and also moved it to another socket. I don't like using insulating (or other) tape for that sort of thing - and anyway, the wife would complain! I may be the "electrical guy" in the house, but that doesn't mean the wife will put up with such nifty solutions, heh heh!

Good luck with your project - sounds like a real big'un!

Cheers

Thanks, guys. Fixed the adaptor problem by expanding the 2 power pins outwards a bit (brute strength, doncha know) and also moved it to another socket. I don't like using insulating (or other) tape for that sort of thing - and anyway, the wife would complain! I may be the "electrical guy" in the house, but that doesn't mean the wife will put up with such nifty solutions, heh heh!

Good luck with your project - sounds like a real big'un!

Cheers

As I say more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Scooterboy regardless of our life experience, knowledge or social standing once we got home and that door closes we ALL know who the boss is!

Exited the setup prog and started to pack the T-Link and old router. Bugger! - the power adaptor plug is very loose in the power socket and the slightest touch anywhere near it, causes the router to briefly shut down. I'll have to fix that when I turn off the pc later in the day. sad.png

I found you can obtain a round (only) female pin to flat male 2 pin plug adapters available at most electical supply stores here in Thailand for about 20 baht provide better connections. The Thai combination round/flat pin recepticals quite often provide poor connections for round pin plugs, while flat pin plugs fit very snug. thumbsup.gif

It really depends what you are looking to do, the size of the house (coverage required) and the building materials used in the house construction.

All the new Smart TV's run WiFi class N so have moved off copper. All laptops have class N built in only desktops are lagging behind.

A few years ago I would of said if you could afford it then do it but now I really struggle to see the point. If you do run CAT-6 cable not CAT-5 its higher quality and certified for faster data transfer. Also the new CAT-6 connectors are a DREAM to put on the cables not like the pain the old CAT-5 connectors were.

You are thinking 10 port router to ADSL? For home use IMO waste of money. What you could do is what the OP has and get a 4 port ADSL single box and use the additional 4 ETH ports to run cables to areas of the house that may have trouble receiving from the single router and put additional routers on the other end?

In IT there are many ways to skin a cat I am sure others will offer different ways to achieve the same solution.

Thanks for the reply.

I am sure I read somewhere that CAT-6 are a b@##@# to fit the connectors.

Yes it will be overkill, with wifi plus a copper LAN connectivity to all rooms - should the wifi play up.

But as we are at the early building stage of the house we have this one opportunity to get all the cabling/sockets in place and hidden away.

Farang0tang

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it will be overkill, with wifi plus a copper LAN connectivity to all rooms - should the wifi play up.

But as we are at the early building stage of the house we have this one opportunity to get all the cabling/sockets in place and hidden away.

Farang0tang

Please trust someone that has had to make many cables up!

The old Cat-5 connectors required you to straighten the wires out, then line them up in the right order, then cut to length THEN you have to push all 4 pairs that are cut short into the connector and crimp hoping all wires are crimped correct. It may look easy but it was a real pain.

post-18180-0-56849700-1364652861_thumb.j

The CAT6 connectors now have an extra bit of plastic with 8 holes in so you strip back the cable exposing the wires any length. Feed them through the guide and cut. Then the guide with already inserted cables are put into the connector. Its so much easier!

post-18180-0-95204300-1364652993_thumb.j

Do a quick Youtube to see it being done for real......

I can see your point about the WiFi crapping out and leaving the house without 'Net as I say if the costs are affordable to you then do it. Or as I suggested run 3 or 4 cables to the outer points of the house. Remember CAT-6 can easily be run to 100m officially 120m+ unofficially against say 50M for WiFi.

Without seeing a building plan its kinda hard to recommend.

For anyone else wondering you can just install open source virtual router that will use the lan connection to make a wifi hotspot from your pc

http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

That will only offer isolated virtual connections it wont increase coverage.

Great idea if you need say your 'clean' pc to stay isolated but for an average home config IMO not worth the pain in configuring.

For anyone else wondering you can just install open source virtual router that will use the lan connection to make a wifi hotspot from your pc

Great idea if you need say your 'clean' pc to stay isolated but for an average home config IMO not worth the pain in configuring.

Not sure what you mean there, just answering the OP's question

I figure I'd like to try and use the Tablet with my DeskTop setup - if that's at all

Not sure what you mean there, just answering the OP's question

Your idea is a great one as it offers isolation between the different virtual WiFi spots set up. Problem is coverage from a single WiFi router.

Many ways to skin the cat!

Thanks for the reply.

Farang0tang

Please trust someone that has had to make many cables up!

The old Cat-5 connectors required you to straighten the wires out, then line them up in the right order, then cut to length THEN you have to push all 4 pairs that are cut short into the connector and crimp hoping all wires are crimped correct. It may look easy but it was a real pain.

attachicon.gifinsert-cat-5-rj45.jpg

The CAT6 connectors now have an extra bit of plastic with 8 holes in so you strip back the cable exposing the wires any length. Feed them through the guide and cut. Then the guide with already inserted cables are put into the connector. Its so much easier!

attachicon.gifCat6-Connector-With-Guide-1.jpg

Do a quick Youtube to see it being done for real......

I can see your point about the WiFi crapping out and leaving the house without 'Net as I say if the costs are affordable to you then do it. Or as I suggested run 3 or 4 cables to the outer points of the house. Remember CAT-6 can easily be run to 100m officially 120m+ unofficially against say 50M for WiFi.

Without seeing a building plan its kinda hard to recommend.

Thanks Para.

I will take another look at CAT 6.

Farang0tang

From my experience, you're dead right that the early stage of construction is the time to think about LAN cabling. I built my house a few years ago and thinking the same way as you put LAN cables from the services room to about a dozen points around the house but I made some mistakes. In case you're interested, if I were to do it again, this is what I would do differently.

1 - As Para suggested, use CAT6 cable. It's news to me that CAT6 is easier to terminate but anyway the cost of the cable itself is minimal compared to the possible future hassle of having to upgrade and CAT6 is the latest technology. I didn't specify the cable and was lucky that the contractor at least used CAT5E which supports Gigabit. Old CAT5 cable is still around and is the cheapest so it's possible that if you don't specify, the contractor could use that.

2 - Think carefully about the position of the LAN outlets in each room. Some rooms should have 2. One where a TV/media player may go and one where another device like WiFi AP would go. Even if you're not using a networked media system now it's likely that you will in the future.

3 - Think about where CCTV cameras might be placed even if you don't plan to install them now. The technology is becoming so prevalent that sooner or later everyone will have it. If you have LAN cable to those points you can buy cameras that are powered by POE which is much neater than an AC outlet which you need for WiFi cameras. Also that has the advantage that the cameras can be powered from a single UPS so both protected from electrical damage and can stay running if the mains electricity is cut.

You will often hear that LAN cable is no longer necessary because wireless is the future. I don't believe that. WiFi has one big advantage over LAN in that you can move around without being tethered to a cable. But that is the only advantage. In every other way (performance, cost, reliability, durability) LAN has the advantage over WiFi.

As for terminating the cables, that's easy and can be done anytime in the future. But dragging new cables later can be a major undertaking.

• Like 1

From my experience, you're dead right that the early stage of construction is the time to think about LAN cabling. I built my house a few years ago and thinking the same way as you put LAN cables from the services room to about a dozen points around the house but I made some mistakes. In case you're interested, if I were to do it again, this is what I would do differently.

1 - As Para suggested, use CAT6 cable. It's news to me that CAT6 is easier to terminate but anyway the cost of the cable itself is minimal compared to the possible future hassle of having to upgrade and CAT6 is the latest technology. I didn't specify the cable and was lucky that the contractor at least used CAT5E which supports Gigabit. Old CAT5 cable is still around and is the cheapest so it's possible that if you don't specify, the contractor could use that.

2 - Think carefully about the position of the LAN outlets in each room. Some rooms should have 2. One where a TV/media player may go and one where another device like WiFi AP would go. Even if you're not using a networked media system now it's likely that you will in the future.

3 - Think about where CCTV cameras might be placed even if you don't plan to install them now. The technology is becoming so prevalent that sooner or later everyone will have it. If you have LAN cable to those points you can buy cameras that are powered by POE which is much neater than an AC outlet which you need for WiFi cameras. Also that has the advantage that the cameras can be powered from a single UPS so both protected from electrical damage and can stay running if the mains electricity is cut.

You will often hear that LAN cable is no longer necessary because wireless is the future. I don't believe that. WiFi has one big advantage over LAN in that you can move around without being tethered to a cable. But that is the only advantage. In every other way (performance, cost, reliability, durability) LAN has the advantage over WiFi.

As for terminating the cables, that's easy and can be done anytime in the future. But dragging new cables later can be a major undertaking.

Solid advice from Dorm.

Even though Cat5e does support gigabit don't bother go straight to CAT6 there will be negligible difference but make sure the contractor runs CAT6 and not the cheaper and inferior CAT5x .

As for the CAT6 connectors once crimped they are a standard RJ45 it the small plastic insert they now use to ensure the pairs are in the right order before trying to push them into the connector. Minor change but massive difference when you are terminating the cables yourself.

Didn't even think about CCTV great point. PoE makes use of a 'power injector' that sends the power the camera needs to work up the LAN cable so all you need on the outside of the house is a LAN cable that plugs straight into the camera no need for outside power. Well done for pointing that one out.

Out of choice I will always go for a LAN connection for my computer but everything is moving away from LAN to WiFi because of its flexibility and the huge take up on mobile devices. I personally recommend if you are running or thinking of running any kind of media center stick a LAN to it as the Gigabit switch (router) you will have will be able to better cope with streaming media especially if in more than 1 room than a poor single N class WiFi router!

With the right planning you should end up with a balance of both options.

>I am sure I read somewhere that CAT-6 are a b@##@# to fit the connectors.

Farang0tang

Thanks Dork and Para.

I will go the CAT6 route.

Choice of cable is actually the easy part trying to plan what will effectively be a mini network will take experience. It's not just ensuring what you need today is provided but also what you don't know you will need tomorrow with the new technology thats constantly flowing out to us.

I would strongly suggest trying to find a company to do a site survey after all you wont be running/terminating the cables yourself (will you?) When they make their recommendation let us know and I am sure one of us will make sure you are not getting (too) ripped off and have some scalability.

Have fun!