Schools Monitored Air Quality And Warned Parents They May Have To Close If The Situation Worsens.

jko

Smog could Cut Classes

CHIANG MAI, 29 March 2013:

Smog continued to smother North Thailand, Thursday, as international schools monitored air quality and warned parents they may have to close if the situation worsens.

In a letter to parents one leading school in Chiang Mai said :“The unfortunate air (quality) conditions continue … all the Heads of Chiang Mai international schools have agreed to maintain close contact in regards the worsening conditions and possible school closures.”

At least one international school is using its own air quality reader purchased from the US, which uses state-side environmental standards.Schools also check the Pollution Control Department’s City Hall readings......

Full article (in a leading international travel trade magazine) here

I've noticed an increasing number of businesses who have installed misting systems to cool and clean the air.

I have built them myself and aside from having to remove the nozzles and soak them periodically its fairly inexpensive and simple system to operate and maintain.

Couldn't schools mist courtyards and other outdoor areas to protect the students and teachers health? They might have to hold classes in these misted areas but that does seem feasible.

Or have they even considered this option? Perhaps I am overlooking something.

I've noticed an increasing number of businesses who have installed misting systems to cool and clean the air.

I have built them myself and aside from having to remove the nozzles and soak them periodically its fairly inexpensive and simple system to operate and maintain.

Couldn't schools mist courtyards and other outdoor areas to protect the students and teachers health? They might have to hold classes in these misted areas but that does seem feasible.

CSN, sincerely with respect, this time you are overlooking something: the quality of school administration.

Good they're raising the issue. Especially because they stand to lose business.

Strange statement in the article text itself though

"At least one international school is using its own air quality reader purchased from the US, which uses state-side environmental standards"

A particle counter / particulate weight analyzer measures particulate matter in the air. It does not involve environmental standards, stateside or otherwise.

It also implies the PCD somehow uses different methods, which it doesn't. They use high end imported analyzers that measure in the same way as everyone else in the world when it comes to air quality measurements.

(Except in Chiang Rai, apparently. :-) )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Re #5 '...an increasing number of businesses who have installed misting systems to cool and clean the air.'

These misting systems are possibly fine as long as the water, water hoses, and containers are regularly checked and cleaned of algae, and possibly worse, contaminants.

Somehow I doubt their purity, which is why I give wide berth to the mist, while covering my nose and mouth with a face mask of which I carry several. The one at the rear entrance to Airport Plaza meant keeping well to the opposite side of the stairs.

Just trying to play it safe given the incidence of lung infections.

It's good that schools monitor air quality. But unfortunately measuring the problem isn't the same as solving it.

With a child at one of the schools, my wife and I have already decided that this will be the last burning season we spend in town.

The best solution for the international schools would just be to change the calendar, so that most of the burning season is a holiday. Or it could be an independent study/distance learning/homework/project period. And some of the time can be made up later in the semester if needed.

There's just no point in waiting around for the state to act. The history of environmental catastrophe in Thailand--illegal logging, destruction of coral reefs, loss of mangroves, toxic pollution, the wildlife trade-- is one of denial, inaction, and a protracted battle to write new laws, which then go largely unenforced. When modest gains have been made, it has always been led first by a strong civil-society movement. In the case of the northern smoke, no such movement has yet taken shape. It will be a long haul.

Re #5 '...an increasing number of businesses who have installed misting systems to cool and clean the air.'

These misting systems are possibly fine as long as the water, water hoses, and containers are regularly checked and cleaned of algae, and possibly worse, contaminants.

Somehow I doubt their purity, which is why I give wide berth to the mist, while covering my nose and mouth with a face mask of which I carry several. The one at the rear entrance to Airport Plaza meant keeping well to the opposite side of the stairs.

Just trying to play it safe given the incidence of lung infections.

They usually have 2 filters. A primary small micron filter and then refrigerator style element for calcium.

The primary reason for that is to prevent deposits which clog the nozzle.

No filter and they clog quickly and dribble out water. The nozzles then need to be removed and soaked in vinegar.

BTW tap water in CM is chlorinated so I kind of doubt algae concerns.

post-27132-0-08886900-1364612777_thumb.j

post-27132-0-98462700-1364612792_thumb.j

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

It's good that schools monitor air quality. But unfortunately measuring the problem isn't the same as solving it.

With a child at one of the schools, my wife and I have already decided that this will be the last burning season we spend in town.

The best solution for the international schools would just be to change the calendar, so that most of the burning season is a holiday. Or it could be an independent study/distance learning/homework/project period. And some of the time can be made up later in the semester if needed.

Yes and that best solution has been raised in past years but the school administrations can not seem to get it together to do it. Not so different from the community or government not being able act effectively to address the problem.

CSN, sincerely with respect, this time you are overlooking something: the quality of school administration.

Is there any research indicating that sprinkling some water around in the air makes it cleaner in any way?

A lot of companies are selling air humidifiers with various claimed benefits (some of them true based on my experience), but have never seen any of them claiming it cleans the air. Would think that if there was any truth in this, those companies would be pretty damn quick to mention it in their adds.

Edited by Awk

Is there any research indicating that sprinkling some water around in the air makes it cleaner in any way?

A lot of companies are selling air humidifiers with various claimed benefits (some of them true based on my experience), but have never seen any of them claiming it cleans the air. Would think that if there was any truth in this, those companies would be pretty damn quick to mention it in their adds.

good question about research. Not sure but it works for rain.

I had a greenhouse in the states and my friends could smoke a bunch of the devils cabbage in there and the smell would be gone in minutes after turning on the mist.

YMMV

Yes and that best solution has been raised in past years but the school administrations can not seem to get it together to do it. Not so different from the community or government not being able act effectively to address the problem.

The Thai school calendar has holidays in March so it's not a bad fit. Our school is closed from March - May. Do international schools follow a different calendar?

I've also heard that the Thai government wants to synchronize their school calendar with other countries... I sure hope that that doesn't happen, would be a terrible idea for a number of reasons. There's a good reason Thai schools have holidays in the hot season. It's too hot. And in the north, too polluted.

We have been going to the south every year ever since we had kids, so for 5 years running now. Once I can't see the mountains, kids pack in the car and off we go. I don't care if they miss a week or two of schooling - this is about their health. It's much more important.

Currently in Hua Hin enjoying the fresh sea breeze. Hua Hin of course has its own little pollution issue - water is full of trash, and so is the beach. But at least you have a choice here. And the air is clean.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

The school doing its own reading is Prem, though their readings are consistently lower than what I find at other sources.

I can remember traveling the interstates in the US in the 60's after a lot of them had just opened. People driving down the road threw huge amazing bags of trash out their car windows.

It took big leadership and a decades long concerted effort to change that and cigarette smoking.

Same will be true for burning, but if someone steps forward and builds the momentum, the Thais I know would rejoice and get behind it big time.

The school doing its own reading is Prem, though their readings are consistently lower than what I find at other sources.

I can remember traveling the interstates in the US in the 60's after a lot of them had just opened. People driving down the road threw huge amazing bags of trash out their car windows.

It took big leadership and a decades long concerted effort to change that and cigarette smoking.

Same will be true for burning, but if someone steps forward and builds the momentum, the Thais I know would rejoice and get behind it big time.

are they publishing their measurements? is there a link?

Yes, local international-schools just close for a couple of weeks, over Easter.

The Thai school calendar has holidays in March so it's not a bad fit. Our school is closed from March - May. Do international schools follow a different calendar?

There's just no point in waiting around for the state to act. The history of environmental catastrophe in Thailand--illegal logging, destruction of coral reefs, loss of mangroves, toxic pollution, the wildlife trade-- is one of denial, inaction, and a protracted battle to write new laws, which then go largely unenforced. When modest gains have been made, it has always been led first by a strong civil-society movement. In the case of the northern smoke, no such movement has yet taken shape. It will be a long haul.

It is a holiday - the period between school. Except so many parents work, they stick the kids back in 'summer school' for babysitting purposes, and to hopefully learn what they didn't the other 9 months they were in school.

You mean they should make summer break 'mandatory'? As in, give the kids a break? cheesy.gif

No, he means that International schools would do well to move to the educational schedule if the country they're in. Because in Thailand that means a big break starting in March. So families who want to can move their kids elsewhere.

I did that this year. My youngest is in an International school, But as it's only kindergarten it doesn't hurt much to take him out while greatly benefitting his health.

We're still in the Eastern Seaboard and I see big haze differences here too. Earlier this month it was so-so, with winds coming in overland. I went to Bang Saray again today and watched the same view of Pattaya in the distance and it's exceptionally clear right now. Here nobody notices though; the only thing they notice is how hot it gets, and how hot the sun remains into the very late afternoon.

Looking at the weather map there is a chance the North will see improvement too. (From bad to bearable)

Wouldn't the kids at International Schools be better off being in their AC filtered classrooms at this time? OK cancel sports & playground activities. My boys go to local private schools & my complaint is they have 2 months holiday when it's too hot to do anything at home. Can't do day trips because of the smog, can't play in the garden. They have AC classrooms. Better off in school. I'd prefer longer holidays October, New Year time. Just my thoughts.

Wouldn't the kids at International Schools be better off being in their AC filtered classrooms at this time? OK cancel sports & playground activities. My boys go to local private schools & my complaint is they have 2 months holiday when it's too hot to do anything at home. Can't do day trips because of the smog, can't play in the garden. They have AC classrooms. Better off in school. I'd prefer longer holidays October, New Year time. Just my thoughts.

They'd be better off in Phuket, Pattaya, Paris, Perth or wherever else they can go if they have a holiday. :-)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

ou'r

They'd be better off in Phuket, Pattaya, Paris, Perth or wherever else they can go if they have a holiday. :-)

You're assuming families can just leave home for a couple of months. Not always possible.

People who can afford international schools can also afford to send kids to visit family for an extended spring break.

But anyway it isn't mandatory; it just gives parents the option to plan something without impacting studies. But yes, some will stay for whatever unfortunate reason.

People who can afford international schools can also afford to send kids to visit family for an extended spring break.

But anyway it isn't mandatory; it just gives parents the option to plan something without impacting studies. But yes, some will stay for whatever unfortunate reason.

I was actually thinking about families that don't go to International Schools, but have holidays at the worst time for holidays. If I could afford International Schools, I wouldn't be in Thailand wink.png

• Like 1

You cant just assume that those who send their kids to an international school have bucket loads of money to throw about.

Some parents sacrifice a lot just to afford the basic fees at an international school - even for the schools in town with fees that are significantly cheaper than the likes of PREM.

Edited by DaBloodyMess
  • Like 1

Fair enough. Anyway I most certainly don't have money to throw around, but I do have family in Bangkok where I could send a kid, or I could rent a cheap room in some apartment building near Cha Am, Bang Saen, Sri Racha or the greater Pattaya area, plus a bus ticket. You can spend what you want basically. I got lucky with a very nice and spacious condo in the Jomtien area this year. I wasn't there he whole time due to work commitments, but it worked great for the wife and kids.