Mobile Wifi Router - Any Suggestion ?

ETatBKK

hi there, I'm in a corner room without the reach of wifi. an Ethernet cable already there and connected to a desktop.

can I get a mobile wifi router ( kind of Airport Express ), mainly wireless to my mobile devices and with an Ethernet out port to the existing desktop ?

can this router just cover my room and not disturb others ? P'IT doesn't like everyone hides a wifi router in his/her room :-)

available in Bangkok, any suggestion ?

thanks . . .

Just seen the new Airport Express offers an additional LAN for your desktop but I would assume a standard 4 port Ethernet wifi router would be cheaper TP-Link do them for about 1100THB.

You can password the WiFI and keep it secure no problems.

Pantip Plaza IT heaven!

Sounds like what you are looking for is a wireless access point. You could also get away with a pocket router, but those don't have an extra LAN port for output to your PC.

The wireless signal will be visible outside of your room though, but what you could do to make it invisible to your landlord is to hide the SSID (network name) so it's not visible to anyone, so you have to enter the network name along with password to connect from your wireless devices.

Tomat I thought the same as you but the new Airport Express WiFi routers now have an additional ETH port which they never had before.

Take a look......

post-18180-0-44135300-1364886605_thumb.j post-18180-0-65065200-1364886622_thumb.j

As always Apple kit is pleasing on the eye but sadly never on the pocket!

thanks Para, the new Apple Airport Express has everything I need, including the Ethernet port. indeed it is on the very high side of the choice, for THB3,200 +vat !

sorry forget to mention I need it for travelling too. I am checking D-Link and TP-Link for similar products, half of the price yet I have no idea on their product quality.

thanks Tomat too, forget this trick of hiding the SSID :-) my router could be invisible !

thanks Para, the new Apple Airport Express has everything I need, including the Ethernet port. indeed it is on the very high side of the choice, for THB3,200 +vat !

sorry forget to mention I need it for travelling too. I am checking D-Link and TP-Link for similar products, half of the price yet I have no idea on their product quality.

thanks Tomat too, forget this trick of hiding the SSID :-) my router could be invisible !

Hey its an Apple product so you know its gonna look good just not going to be cheap.

thanks KHR, almost there yet I need an Ethernet port for connecting a non-wifi desktop. most small mobile wifi routers ( D-Link or TP-Link ) don't come with an extra Ethernet port.

yes, Para, the 'look-good' effect costs THB3,200 and it is double of others. well, it comes with an additional Ethernet port :-)

yes, Para, the 'look-good' effect costs THB3,200 and it is double of others. well, it comes with an additional Ethernet port :-)

Latest fashion always comes at a price!

At the end of the day you need a pretty basic wireless cable (not adsl) router with some ethernet ports, Airport Express would really be paying through the nose for a pretty product.

D-link do make them, I had a quick look on invadeit.co.th - there is a D-link dir-600l which does everything you need for under 1000 baht.

D-link are perfectly fine for home use, I have an old dsl-2640t that I bought for around 1500 4 years or so ago and it's still running fine

Edited by rwdrwdrwd