Can Anyone Explain This Oddity To Me...?

EBF

OK, so driving in Chiang Mai is interesting to say the least.

But I can't get my head around the 'intersection' of Chang Moi Road and Changmoi Tudmai Road.

If heading east from the Old City, you can make a right turn onto Changmoi Tudmai Road and proceed to drive on the opposite side of the road to all other roads in Thailand.

And secondly, this intersection, despite having large amounts of traffic with different routes, has no traffic lights or guidance of any sort, leaving it to a complete free for all?

Is this some kind of social experiment? Have vandals stolen the traffic lights? Does no one care?

I've had my share of close calls on that road with cars on the wrong side or tourists looking the wrong way.

And that intersection with Chiang Moi Rd is basically a game of chicken.

It's always been that way, probably because of the road layout or poor city planning.

(EDIT: Also, 'poor city planning'.. ?! That area had traffic 700 years ago! Good luck to plan a couple hundred years ahead! wink.png )

Well if it was planned 700 years ago then it is certainly the best model as things haven't advanced since then.

Reminds me of a Thai company I did some work for and they had an unbelievably poor data entry system. Upon looking at it in shock one of the old proud Thai managers declared it was the exact same method that the company used when they began 150 years ago. How many different items were you dealing with then? I asked. Around 120. And now? Around 30,000. So perhaps it might be time to overhaul the system. *all Thais present look on in shock*.

And secondly, this intersection, despite having large amounts of traffic with different routes, has no traffic lights or guidance of any sort, leaving it to a complete free for all?

I'm pretty sure this intersection has flashing orange and red traffic lights indicating who has right of way.

Nope! Don't care. CM traffic is a mess and I'll let the sawng tow drivers figure it out.

It gets easier when you figure it out first and then get songthaews at places (or on a particular side of the road) where it becomes a lot more likely that the guy can get to your destination easily. If you said tuk tuk drivers, then yes. But Songthaews work best when all passengers are going in roughly the same direction.

For example, if you strand just before (to the North of) the entry to Chang Moi road on the moat, and you want to go to the Big Market (Kad Luang) then just about every passing songthaew will want to go there. But if you'd be 20 meters down, past Chang Moi, then it'll be up-hill to get to the same place. Even if the Songthaew can figure it out (yes, left U-turn at Thapae into the small soi that goes past Ulysses' shop and the back of the Amora hotel, then up Chang Moi) that only works if the vehicle was empty. Because if it was not then the people in it will not be going in your direction, and it becomes harder.

Plus the driver may (correctly) guess that his passenger really doesn't know where he is or where he's going, and ask for a charter price. But if you stand in a sane place, state a sane destination and just get in, then it's a smoother ride for all.

Many thanks WinnieTK for your time. I actually do understand CM fairly well and do well with both the Sawng Tows and TuK Tuks. I was commenting about driving myself around. Many years ago I decided that if an accident was going to occur, I'd just as soon not be driving. I do own motorcycles that I feel much safer on as they are more manouverable and much more easily parked, but when out of my own town best I hire. Cheers, dap

To answer the original question - yes, it's a complete free-for-all.

It threw me for a loop first time I drove it (and that's apart from having to drive on the wrong side of the road to get to it) but for some reason, it seems to work.

The other one that always gets me is roundabouts. Opinion with Thai drivers seems to be a 50/50 split as to who has right of way at a roundabout...

It threw me for a loop first time I drove it (and that's apart from having to drive on the wrong side of the road to get to it) but for some reason, it seems to work.

The other one that always gets me is roundabouts. Opinion with Thai drivers seems to be a 50/50 split as to who has right of way at a roundabout...

I haven't come across a roundabout in Thailand yet, except for the Big-C U-Turn, which everyone seems to not really know how to use anyway.

I haven't come across a roundabout in Thailand yet, except for the Big-C U-Turn, which everyone seems to not really know how to use anyway.

There's another outside the Chang Phuak stadium, and another outside the American Embassy. Neither are used correctly, but at least they go around them unlike the Big C U-turn one.

you also forgot about Victory Monument in Bangkok. If you've never been, a great spot for appreciating beautiful women.

Edited by naboo

I always wondered about that spot, but considering that traffic in Thailand follows no logical rules, I just go with the flow. Traffic in Thailand flows like water... in all directions at once.It's fairly easy once you get used to it and it's kind of fun. I TRY to pay attention to the informal rules and laws in Thailand, but occasionally have to pay my "road tax" to some policeman. All I do is laugh and pay up. Because I always laugh the police laugh as well and nobody gets upset.

My understanding is that in Thailand those who are on the roundabout must give way to those who are entering it, unlike in the UK where the opposite applies.