Renting Car (W/ Insurance). Only Passanger Has Eu Driving License?

pilm

I have a 5 year Thai Motorcycle license.

Going to organize a car DL today but was told the Cert. of Residence will take 3 weeks to arrive.

My 65 yr old mother is arriving next week and I want to rent a car for a 3 day roadtrip the following week. I would be driving for the duration of the trip. My Irish DL expired about 10 years ago. My mother has a valid full Irish DL.

I presume renting a car from Avis or whatever from the airport would be okay with my mother's license as I read that tourists can use thier license for 6 months or something. But she won't be driving. I would.

How would this affect the car rental insurance should anything happen?

Thanks.

Very simple - there won't be any insurance if the person driving doesn't have a license. Plus you'll be in breach of contract with AVIS, so don't expect them to be too accommodating... Especially if they Google and find this post tongue.png

What do you think?

It doesn't matter what I think. I'm not Thai. After 7 years of living here I think that what I think is usually the opposite to reality in Thailand.

You're driving a car without valid license.

400 baht fine.

By most reports it doesn't N/A insurance. (Remember, don't think like a Westerner ;) )

Where do you live BTW, 3 weeks for a certificate of address?

Bangkok. Went to immigration this morning. They said 3 weeks (confirmed in both Thai and English). Of course that could mean 3 days or 3 months in reality.

Very simple - there won't be any insurance if the person driving doesn't have a license.

If you don't mind me asking. Are you speaking from experience, education on the matter, or your Western preconcepted mindset?

Simple: no DL, no insurance.

Actually not so simple at all in Thailand. biggrin.png

I know a handful of people unfortunate enough for vehicle insurance to be needed who did not have licenses, all insurances paid, one had to pay a 400b fine to the coppers for not having one though.

Experience, genuine education on the matter, or slightly ignorant Western preconceptions?

Edited by pilm

Very simple - there won't be any insurance if the person driving doesn't have a license.

If you don't mind me asking. Are you speaking from experience, education on the matter, or your Western preconcepted mindset?

LOL, I've visited the USA and Australia, and I do have some Western blood in me, but I don't think it's enough to completely destroy my brain :P

You will be covered by insurance for things your Mother can claim herself - e.g. fire & theft, but for any claim involving an unlicensed driver, there will be no coverage, and as noted your mother will be in breach of the rental contract.

I know a handful of people unfortunate enough for vehicle insurance to be needed who did not have licenses, all insurances paid, one had to pay a 400b fine to the coppers for not having one though.

Experience, genuine education on the matter, or slightly ignorant Western preconceptions?

Well if you already know, <deleted> are you asking? ROFL :D

Don't shoot the messenger just because they're not telling you what you want to hear.

• Like 1

Well if you already know, <deleted> are you asking? ROFL biggrin.png

Don't shoot the messenger just because they're not telling you what you want to hear.

Their vehicles weren't rented.

And prostitution is illegal and bribery is a capital offense.

You've no experiences on the matter then?

One of our Australian staff crashed (minor damage) a rented VIOS while on holiday in Pattaya about 5 years back, and I helped them out hen it came time to return the car. AVIS were very adamant about sighting originals and copying police reports, drivers license, passport and entry stamp, and wouldn't waver on the deductible to be paid.

Basically, they played it by the book.

I don't wish bad luck on anyone, no matter how belligerent they are, so good luck with whatever you do :)

• Like 2

The Police can Fine you and off You Go. They don't Pay Out when the need arises. Must be Bloody Daft to Consider cheating Avis.

Some people have been here too long and think everything can be done. They fail to see that some things might have to go by the book.

And prostitution is illegal and bribery is a capital offense.

You've no experiences on the matter then?

Obviously, you have been living too long in your conceited "Western thaized" mind, to have noted that things are improving across the board.

Basically, do what you want, but don't come crying back here if you get in trouble. Furthermore, you could have gotten your own car and then no trouble whatsoever with Avis - but do not expect any payment from insurance either in case of mishap.

We do car rentals as well. We always chech the DL of our customers, before they collect the car. No DL, no Car, that's simple. I think Avis do the same.

His mother has the license, but he'll be driving without license.