How Is The Smog In Chiang Mai?

rene123

After a delightful two weeks at Ao Nang beach in Krabi, I'm back home in Canada. It's the typical cool wet, BUT SMOG FREE weather we get on Vancouver Island. I'm going to miss the 6 months of continual sunny Thailand weather, and the motorbike riding, but it's nice to smell the clean forest air, and feel the ocean breeze when I hike. No more sweating after 10 minutes hiiking on Doi Sutthep. I have a mountain of similar height right across from my Canadian home and there are great views from the top.

It feels a little strange driving a car again, and on the other side of the road. Of course, no more fun either, like riding on sidewalks, BETWEEN vehicles and into oncoming traffic. Now I have to follow RULES and LAWS that the police here enforce. No more paying a $12 traffic fine or a $6 bribe. If I park in the wrong place here I get my car towed and I pay $50. If I speed I pay a minimum of $250 and that escalates up to a point where I would get my car impounded if I drive 40 km over the limit.

And, I pay more for veggies here than I would pay for nice meal in a Thai cafe. Coffee is cheaper here, though. I don't know why that is in Thailand. You pay as much in Chiang Mai for a coffee as you can pay for a full meal. And, no more free fill ups.

No more need for air conditioning, but I need to get my wood stove burning every day. We won't get warm weather here for att least a month.

But, I'm still planning on coming back to Chiang Mai in October or November. My Thai friend is looking after my motorbike and I hope he keeps the shiny side up.

Good luck to all the gang here.

Thank you;

We're going to seriously get rid of the smog and bring on the rain. Starting tomorrow for a warm-up, then Friday->Monday in earnest.

WHAT SMOG? It's purely smoke only - no FOG involved.

100% smoke haze/pollution.

It has been truly filthy air. This was bought home to me when I was dusting distant corners of the house and my pristine yellow duster turned black! Now imagine what happens inside your lungs for those of us who have to breathe this sh.. all day long. And still they burn: The other day I drove from Korat back home to Chiang Mai and counted 96 fires - and that was without craning my neck to look around the countryside! Local Tambons are clearing leaves by burning at the side of the road - off course this includes discarded plastics and other toxin producing waste. Fed up. Just fed up with it all.

The smog is fine no problem.

the air we breath is OK the main problem is we can;t seem to separate the two of them.

Where do you live that you use wood heat?

Do you cook on it also?

I thought Vancouver Island was a little past that time.

I know I had to do it in Rose Lake up in the Caribou. But that was in the 80s

Glad to here you you made it back to the Island safely Rene. Always enjoyed your posts, looking forward to their return in the fall.

Here in the sticks of Lampang province the smog/ smoke is not so bad but the heat oh lordy!

Keep an eye out for bears, take care.

I'm assuming this lingering smog is not normal as someone mentioned earlier that by songkran we should be in the clear.

For those that have been here for years, has the smog lingered past songkran?

No, not that I remember. Of course this year started very late.

Either way though there's traditionally a bit of rain at the end of a Songkran day.. see if that helps. I also saw the rain making planes taking off today.

Just back from Mae Sai and I'd have to say the entire province of Chiang Rai looks to be one dirty smoldering hole with many visible hill-side fires blazing from the roadside. In short, its in Thick from the border to CM.

This year started late but lingering longer.

We are leaving for Vancouver Island (Duncan) April.22 and look forward to breathing clean,crisp,cool air- again.

The good news is that CM is awesome from late Oct to mid- feb.

Our 'riding-season' begins in Nov.- big bike sport/off-road tours of the North is one of our beloved pastimes here.

Happy Trails - thumbsup.gif

I thought the general smog situation in Chiang Mai this year is considerably better than some of those previous.

Maybe because I am living closer to the national park side of Hangdong rather than out on the samgkeampeng plains?

I thought the general smog situation in Chiang Mai this year is considerably better than some of those previous.

Maybe because I am living closer to the national park side of Hangdong rather than out on the samgkeampeng plains?

You make it sound like the Serengeti smile.png

There may be herds of wildebeest out there, but I can't see them due to the "dust" wink.png

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

The smoke problem (not SMOG!) in the north won't get any better unless someone can stop all the local fires.

I've just driven 50km north of CM, and there are 3 large fires burning in the forests. The plumes are rising hundreds of metres into the air, and will no doubt drift down over the city soon enough.

A good deal of the roadside has already been torched.

You make it sound like the Serengeti smile.png

There may be herds of wildebeest out there, but I can't see them due to the "dust" wink.png

Haha

But I do think its a bit more dusty over there; and more agriculture burn off than the mostly residences. They say the trees clean the air also. Not so many trees out on the plains.

Maybe the power of thought actually works. I was mentally trying to trade some of our cool, damp BC weather for some Thai sunshine. I know you folks could use some of our rain. It seems to be working. We have a little sunshine peeking through the clouds this morning and I have a birthday party to go to tonight. Have fun with Songkran gang.