Songkran Water Drenching Loi Kroh April 11

huli

Hello Dolly post 22

It seems to be a cultural thing.

I have heard of hotels that will not even rent an Israeli a room.

Which hotels?

I have an American born friend (doctor) who lives in Tel Aviv, has an Israeli passport and will be visiting with his wife later in the year.

I'd like to call the hotels that "will not even rent to an Israeli" and see what they have to say, though I expect the ones you are referring to are way beneath the class of hotel they will stay at.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, hope everyone enjoys Bali, their books and DVDs, and, of course, the forum.

I'm filling water barrels in the truck as we speak. wink.png

(Yes, amazing how I can do that and post at the same time. It's a skill.)

Multi tasking, not bad for a Kwai..........have a great time Win. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Annoying farang yobs already dousing people near Thapae Gate at 8:30 AM. mad.gif

there's a bit of a miss here by the local authorities or perhaps the TAT - there's no education of visiting tourists, particularly the young farang idiots, about how you are supposed to behave during the songkran festival. flyers given out at the bus station, train station and in guesthouses would be an idea - simple rules, please no throwing water outside of the hours of 9am to 6pm, don't splash businesspeople doing their jobs, don't throw water indoors, absolutely no throwing water after dark. when young, drunk idiots think there are no rules they're going to behave that way unfortunately.

I tend to agree. Maybe they think if it's shown to be 'restrictive' that will put a damper on things and people won't come........or maybe the authorities just don't give a shit, which is more likely.

Was at Tiger In Town last night (Thursday) and could see groups of Foreigners wandering along the side of the moat, large water guns in hand, looking for people to splash and looking utterly pathetic as Thailand was getting on with normal life as Songkran hadnt started yet!!

• Like 1

Farang are the worst. They have been instrumental in ruining a once civilised festival.

I think you'll find the Thais did that all by themselves.

In order to find that, I will have to discover that all I have learned in eight years from a wide range of independent sources was groundless.

• Like 1

Agreed, but the morons might figure out that no Thais or anyone else is doing it, so maybe they should wait. bah.gif

crediting them with a sense of self-awareness there that i don't think they have. obviously not helped by the fact that there's no authority figures around to enforce anything like that either.

• Like 1

Annoying farang yobs already drenching people near Thapae Gate at 8:30 AM. mad.gif

And there you are at Thapae Gate on Songkran..... complaining about people getting wet.

Some people never learn. rolleyes.gif

Edited by pilm
  • Like 2

Unaware of any Muay Thai stadium at Thapae Gate.

the Muay Thai stadium at Thapae Gate

Erm.. the BBC.. the Beer Bar Centre .. was Chiang Mai's madhouse from the eighties to about 2001 when Loa Kroh Rd opened up

The boxing ring was surrounded by well patronised beer bars entertained by young lady boxers.. blind folded boxers.. kid boxers.. and various other acts that included a Thai guy who would get well off his face before performing his 'fire dance act' . good job my reactions were quicker back then..

What was the name of the main Aussie bar in there again, something 'Blue'?

Electric blue?

Annoying farang yobs already drenching people near Thapae Gate at 8:30 AM. mad.gif

That is where I got it yesterday 11/4 at about noon

Kind of caught me by surprise as I did not see it coming due to a car blocking the view

Lets put it one way, it is what it is, and that is all that can be said! I hate the tor ist making it fun for more than the expected, but it is the reason why C M is the top place to go in Thailand for Songkran. We have all been there! making are way on the expected journey, to be drenched by the heinous reaches that throng our main thorough fairs when all we want is a bowl of noodles or a pack of fags in the morning. We moan and bitch, but truthfully, would you be anywhere else!

I have absolutely no problem with people getting crazy drunk and throwing water daytime. Just give it a f***ing rest after dark so people can take a shower and go have dinner (and keep on drinking until they drop, if they so wish).

This is how it has been done before. It works well, too.

• Like 1

Sometimes some farangs are stupids, thais as well, they f.... my mobile!! April 11 with buckets whats that? If I can see a kid with a little gun I could understand but a f...ing farang with a bucket!!!

Maybe instead of chasing lady friends and cheap bars you might take a little time out to find out some thing about where you live.

And if the people you have hooked up with so far did not clue you in dump them and look for a little better class of people.

• Like 2

Lets put it one way, it is what it is, and that is all that can be said! I hate the tor ist making it fun for more than the expected, but it is the reason why C M is the top place to go in Thailand for Songkran. We have all been there! making are way on the expected journey, to be drenched by the heinous reaches that throng our main thorough fairs when all we want is a bowl of noodles or a pack of fags in the morning. We moan and bitch, but truthfully, would you be anywhere else!

I have absolutely no problem with people getting crazy drunk and throwing water daytime. Just give it a f***ing rest after dark so people can take a shower and go have dinner (and keep on drinking until they drop, if they so wish).

This is how it has been done before. It works well, too.

yeah this is it. i had a barney last year with a farang idiot who couldn't grasp the concept that it is much harder for people to dry off when the sun has gone down and it is dark. not to mention that as you say people have gone and got changed to go out for the evening. i'm no killjoy and i absolutely love songkran but people lashing water about after dark does risk ruining it.

• Like 1

I'm wondering. Do people actually use water from the moat in theire buckets and waterguns? If so, I might visit the restroom and vomit.

laugh.png you better head for the restroom then wink.png

Dont you see them all with the buckets & ropes?

I'm wondering. Do people actually use water from the moat in theire buckets and waterguns? If so, I might visit the restroom and vomit.

laugh.png you better head for the restroom then wink.png

Dont you see them all with the buckets & ropes?

Haha I havn't had the chance to go and see for myself yet (still on the job) But I guess that's kind of disgusting..

I just managed to drive from my Muay Thai training next to the hotel at the train station, up over Narawat Bridge, along the Night Market and up to my hotel at Chiang Mai Gate without getting soaked.

I don't believe it. blink.png

I did hear one mother saying to hers kids though, " that's theblether, don't scoot him cos he'll start talking and we'll never get him to shut up ".

Sounds about right. coffee1.gif

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

Unaware of any Muay Thai stadium at Thapae Gate.

the Muay Thai stadium at Thapae Gate

Erm.. the BBC.. the Beer Bar Centre .. was Chiang Mai's madhouse from the eighties to about 2001 when Loa Kroh Rd opened up

The boxing ring was surrounded by well patronised beer bars entertained by young lady boxers.. blind folded boxers.. kid boxers.. and various other acts that included a Thai guy who would get well off his face before performing his 'fire dance act' . good job my reactions were quicker back then..

What was the name of the main Aussie bar in there again, something 'Blue'?

Electric blue?

True Blue and the back attachment next to the beer bar entrance, Up2you. My regular haunt for a long time.

• Like 1

Want to take some friends who are over for holidays to the 'Good view' tonight. Any idea about what's going on there? Will it be one big waterfight? Hope so!

Hopefully not tonight sir, the water fights should stop after darkness falls. I'll be going out shortly with my well wrapped camera and I'm delighted to be a sacrificial lamb of a daytime, anyone trying to soak me tonight will do so at their peril smile.png

Want to take some friends who are over for holidays to the 'Good view' tonight. Any idea about what's going on there? Will it be one big waterfight? Hope so!

Hopefully not tonight sir, the water fights should stop after darkness falls. I'll be going out shortly with my well wrapped camera and I'm delighted to be a sacrificial lamb of a daytime, anyone trying to soak me tonight will do so at their peril smile.png

Oke good.. And thanks! Only used to Bangkok Songkran where it does not matter when it's light or dark. But ready for it! Loving Songkran.

• Like 1